Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #31
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When did you give solids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
This statement is entirely false! The AAP recommends introducing solids at around 6 months of age...do you know what that means? It means to stick a little food on the tip of your finger and let them taste it. A taste! Not meals...certainly not enough to be replacing nursing sessions. Breastmilk/formula is all the nutrition needed for the first year of life.

Advertisement

Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #32
sphil876
Registered Users
seller

DD was a mess and long story short we started her at like 2 months, then stopped and did it again at 4 months. IMO WAY too early for her.

DS I haven't forced foods on at all. He eats if he wants and when he wants. I started trying to see if he wanted to try food at about 6 months, he's 10 months now and still doesn't eat much table food. He doesn't eat any baby food, only what we eat. He also likes some of the Gerber table food like the kidy cheetos that are mae w/ veggies. He likes beef stew, tomatoes, lettuce, peas, carrots, celery, onions, peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches. Some days he'll eat 3 or 4 times in the day and some he doesn't eat any table food.

He likes to nurse and to be honest it's easier to nurse alot of times than to get up and make him something, and after he's done he doesn't still seem hungry.

Besides pretty soon he'll only want table foods and he won't want to nurse any more. Then what?
Panda Tushies Snappiable Bamboo Prefolds www.hyenacart.com/thewadingpool
sphil876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all your input. . . sorry there was a little heat - that was not my intent.

I've done a little more research and this is what I've discovered. . .

American Association of Pediatric Medicine (or whatever they're called) as well as other World Health organizations have changed their recommendation from between 4-6 months to 6 months to introduce solids.

Apparently when you feed solids to your baby you're giving them alot of one vitamin (ie. carrots = lots of vitamin A) but there's not much B, C, D, E etc. which is why they recommend giving solids after they've nursed or had a bottle. When they nurse or get a bottle they get A,B,C,D,E etc. as needed rather than just getting a concentration of one vitamin.

I think the 'readiness signs' are there for my LO so I'll start him on solids even though he's teeth-free (not sure how much teeth are needed when you're eating mush!).

I have 3 'What to Expect' books (expecting, year 1 and toddler I think) and rarely use them. They tend to stress me out so I don't use them but if others like them and have critically read and agreed/disagreed with them - go for it.

All that being said - thank you for your ideas - thank you for loving your child enough to make the best decision for him or her under your own circumstances. We're all just doing the best we can and know how to do, aren't we?
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #34
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

I started to introduce solids when Jed was 7 months old. However, it wasn't until he reached 9 months of age that he really started eating solids... and never vegetables. *sigh* Fruit and yogurt, that was it. It was very frustrating for me, because he was clearly not getting enough nutrition from my milk. He became SO MUCH happier when he finally started eating. Anyway... er... tangent, sorry! So... 7 or 9 months, depending on how you slice it.
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 AM   #35
uoducks
Registered Users

I acutally own this book (What to Expect, The first YEAr) I do not see where it says cloth diapering is unsanitary. Where do you see that? it says to store them in a sanitary way (pail, etc).
It gives both sides of most issues in this book including co-sleeping, diapering, sleeping. There are risks/rewards for each method outlined in the book.
A lot of it is common sense and I think it's a great resource.
It says the authors Heidi Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg, and Sandee hathaway are B.S.N's (Bachelors of Science in Nursing) The other contributors stated in the book are American Academy of Peidatrics, Professor of Pediatrics at The Penn State Children's Hospital, and other doctors.
If those are not reliable credentials, I don't know what is. You say you don't "trust" the information, but you don't say what part.
It gives BOTH sides on most any issue..like co-sleeping, etc.

Co-sleeping is dangerous. You don't need a book to tell you. When my daught. was only weeks old.. i would bring her into our bed just for a few hours.. and I had several close call.. cause I fell asleep and the covers would be over her.
She still comes into bed in the morning after sleeping all night in her room, in her own crib and nurses but she is 7.5mths..and I am still taking risk!! I would NEVER sleep all night in a bed with her..especially as a newborn. Her room is right across the hall so she is still close by but is able to sleep freely without interruptions and the dangers of suffocation by my hubby and I or blankets , pillows..etc.
If you are going to accuse this book of false information you should really have some specifics available.

As far as feeding goes..this book is mostly talking about solids as "tastes" and experiences for the baby..you are not giving your baby steak.
That's why I said before and what this book says that breastfeeding/formula should be continued for at least the 1st year of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb928 View Post
What to Expect During the First Year also says that cloth diapers are unsanitary, so disposables are your best bet!! Also says that co-sleeping is unsafe and that schedules and CIO are good for babies I HATE THIS BOOK!!!!!

As for solids, we started around 8 months, and E still doesn't eat solids every day, nor does she eat much of anything that I give her--she definitely prefers breastmilk, and that is fine with me because it gives her the BEST nutrients possible, even better than solids. As for iron, your breastmilk is most often still the best source for iron for a baby because it is absorbed more efficiently than iron in ANY solid food!!!! Yes it has less iron than, say Iron-fortified baby cereal, but your baby will absorb more of your bm's iron than the cereal--here is a link about that: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

And the chart that's from that page:

I know that in other countries, babies thrive on bm alone for the first 12+ months, so food is not necessary for a while. We just followed E's ready signs and what feels right to me. Foods are often called weaning foods (by the LLL) because baby starts to nurse less when she starts to eat more solids--so just keep that in mind--it was important to me to nurse more often, so we don't have a lot to do with solids yet!!

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09

Last edited by uoducks; 11-20-2007 at 02:03 AM. Reason: s
uoducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #36
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm curious...you say it lists risks/rewards for everything, but also that co-sleeping is dangerous (which it is not)...what does it say the "rewards" are for it? I've got the first year books also and found them to be very bias wastes of money.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #37
uoducks
Registered Users

Furthermore, there's a whole page in the book (What to Expect the First Year)
titled : THE LONGER THE BETTER (pg 268).. saying breastfeeding longer has many benefits. I can't see anyone disagreeing with this.

Yes, I have the latest version of this book.

Wife to Dave, proud SAHM to our daughters Reagan, born April 3, 2007 and Karly, born 1/24/09

Last edited by uoducks; 11-20-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2007, 02:12 AM   #38
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't talking about breastfeeding. No one is arguing that BFing shouldn't go through a year, I don't think.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 AM   #39
uoducks
Registered Users

how can you say it's not dangerous..did you read my post about my limited co-sleeping with my daughter? smothering, suffocation. this is common sense.

there's a whole section of the "family bed" in this book, pg 264 and 353 in the latest version of the book. It states that supporters of co-sleeping say it cultivates bonds, may reduce SIDS, babies eventually learn to sleep on their own by age of 3.

I feel the dangers WAY outweigh the benefits of full , all night co-sleeping . Like I stated in my own experience..and I can't be alone in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyrie View Post
I'm curious...you say it lists risks/rewards for everything, but also that co-sleeping is dangerous (which it is not)...what does it say the "rewards" are for it? I've got the first year books also and found them to be very bias wastes of money.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:25 AM   #40
uoducks
Registered Users

n

Last edited by uoducks; 11-20-2007 at 05:24 PM.