Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: for those who used a nipple shield

We used it for nearly 3 months. Then DS just suddenly stopped wanting it. He would cry and refuse to use it, unless he was really tired and he couldn't get his latch right (the whole reason we used it was his latch from a tongue tie). Now he is 6 months old and I haven't used it in 3 months. I threw it away a month after he stopped wanting it.

Advertisement

mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
BearBumsBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: johnson_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean_o_curls View Post
yeah dd is 3 months old and we still use it but i didnt know how to go about weaning
I know kellymom does have some info on it, but it hasn't really worked for DS & I. Although, I haven't really been diligent in it. I am bad for just not wanting him to scream & to just eat happily! When he gets worked up, he REALLY gets worked up!
BearBumsBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #13
austinandashlynsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: for those who used a nipple shield

I used one for approximately 5 weeks. I was working closely with a lactation consultant the whole time. We tried cutting away the edges of a shield so it got lower and lower and she refused it. We tried cutting the top down to no avail. What finally worked for us was to nurse her on the first side with the shield, then burp her. When I went to latch her on the second side, I would try first without the shield. The first few times she would act confused, then for a few times she would latch, then stop and fuss for the shield, then one time she just latched without and nursed like a pro. I never needed it after that. Ironically, from that point forward she swore off all artificial nipples and pacifiers and eve now at 8 months, it's au natural or nothing, lol. I would suggest speaking with a good lactation consultant as that was what really guided me in the right direction and helped keep me from getting too frustrated.
austinandashlynsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used it until 4.5 weeks. Finally at 4.5 weeks we had planned a day to go cold turkey not using it and surprisingly she was fine with it. I had prepared myself for an unhappy baby, but she took to it really well for some reason on the one day I decided to go cold turkey. Before that, we had tried offering boob then shield then boob then shield at every feeding.
we had used the shield because Laura sucked on her tongue and it was never down where she needed it to be to get enough nipple far back in.
Good luck!!!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote