Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need any tricks that may help with latch probs.

she seems to get enough in her mouth just sucking patterns seems screwy

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
I figure if she only gets a bottle after she's spit up all she's nursed then it won't effect my supply. i usually still try to re-nurse but she gets frustrated that there's nothing for her. The doc said that at 4 weeks BF babies should be given a bottle so that they know how to take one should the need arise (which it has since I've been getting alot of denal work done lately). Unless I feel it's really ness. I try to to resort to a bottle. Hopefully I'll be able to work her out of the confusion. Gonna try not giving her a bottle unless she needs to be fed while I'm at the dentist (next time is crown prep so may take a while).

Thanks for all the tips!
I'm sorry but this seems like miss information. Giving a bottle/artifical nipple too early can create nipple confustion and not not be taken as a teaching method for baby. There are lots and lots of moms and babies who never take bottles and do fine without it. Most LC and LLL members say to wait til at least 6 weeks before introducing any sort of other nipple just for this reason and if done earlier it should not be taken lightly. If this confusion is happening now I would look into other ways to help with the reflux instead of the bottle.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you thought about going to a local La Leche League meeting or calling a Lactation consultant? Make she she is board certified.

Another thought, does you babies tongue look forked or heart shaped, could your baby be tongue tied?

Hold baby tummy to tummy and put your nipple on babies nose and then brig it down into babies mouth pointing upward, near the roof of babies mouth, not the center. If the latch is good and not painful continue nursing, if it isn't start over. If baby gets fussy, try walking and nursing or patting babies bum while nursing to distract her.

I might think about limiting bottles like you said for the next few weeks until she gets this all worked out again.

3 of my 5 babies have never had a bottle and I have nursed them for over 1 year each. The dentist will work with you, I needed some work and i took her and a helper with me and nursed her during part of the work, lol, but you could even take a break to feed her. Maybe another mom could go with you and take care of her.

I would stay away from nipple shields as those just encourage nipple confussion.

Anyway, you can do it!

Make it work,
Wife for 20 years to Lance Sr. SAHM, homeschooling mom of 7, 4 boys and 3 little girls, Christian 22 , Lance 18 , Philip 12 , James 10 , Princess Princess Catherine 8 Rainbow Baby Reagan 5, Molly and baby Abigail due in March
cupcakewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Robbins611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi there ;0 I'm a LLL leader and a breastfeeding educator. If you would like asst over the phone, I'd be happy to help. Otherwise, I can help you find a leader in your area who can see you or talk with you . We are volunteers so all help is free of charge. Feel free to PM me.

Much Love and Light,
Gini
Robbins611 is offline   Reply With Quote