Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Monzie
Registered Users

Stockpiling milk for "emergencies"...

At my husband's request, I've started to pump to create a small supply of frozen milk in case of emergency. I doubt we'll ever need to use this stuff to bottlefeed the baby, though. More than likely, it will just end up being mixed into cereal and baby food when we finally get around to introducing that.

My question is this...

What quantities should I be freezing the milk in? I bought a pack of Lansinoh bags and we have a chest freezer. So the milk should keep for 6-12 months. I'd just as soon not waste it by freezing larger amounts in a bag, so I've been making 3 and 4 ounce portions. Does this seem like a sensible amount? Will I be able to use up 4 ounces of breast milk in one day's baby food? Or will I be dumping unused milk down the drain at the end of the day? As difficult as it is for me to pump, it would kill me if I had to throw any of the precious stuff away...

Advertisement

Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
sunfish_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Stockpiling milk for "emergencies"...

When I froze milk it was 3 oz at a time as well. it turns out I never got to use it because we had a hurricane and no power for 3 weeks. I stayed at my friends the first week and came home to THE worst refridgerator ever. Anyhow that's another story.
I say if you are using it for making cereals and other baby foods later that it is still a good amount. If you want to, try the smaller 4 oz bags then only fill them half way then you you can pull as many as needed. When my son started on solids at 8months it only took a week for him to start gobbling down the bannannas and cereal and 2 oz would nat have been enough for the day. Maybe freeze a few 2 oz portions for when you first start solids so there is no waste and do the rest the way you have been.

sunfish_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

I'd only freeze in 2 oz quantities. You can always thaw two bags at once, but you can never "unthaw" what isn't used. Plus 2 oz is a perfect portion for cheerios and mamas milk.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
xois
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think i read on kelly mom that 2oz is optimal

so tha's what I do...and so far, minimal waste

also another tip...write the oz amt on the bag...becuase sometimes the bag measurement isn't acurate
Old 01-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xois View Post
i think i read on kelly mom that 2oz is optimal

so tha's what I do...and so far, minimal waste

also another tip...write the oz amt on the bag...becuase sometimes the bag measurement isn't acurate
I totally agree with this. And don't forget to date it. I even vacuum sealed them!
Old 01-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't do more than 4 oz.

Nothing drives me more crazy than seeing my milk wasted!!!!!!!!

Dh tries!!! He's home with ds during the day and I'll say "when did you warm this up? When did you give this to him" I know it's been awhile when he says "sorry"!!uggg

Now ds is 12 months dh has been helping me a little bit more at night, so I pump extra now so he can feed him once at night. Instead of ds waking up every 2 hours.....last night he woke up 2 times.

I'm going away in April for 4 days, 3 nights...so I have to start saving my milk!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Check some periodically, I think all mine is bad bc I have too much lipase. or somehting like that. My Lo is 7 mo. and has 5 oz of bm mixed with cereal and a full container of baby food and is still sometimes hungry so if mine survived I'm glad I froze mine in 5 or 6 oz increments. She's always been a great eater though.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Kestlyn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I froze in 6 ounce increments and always wrote the amount on the bag. DD was eating 6 ounces pretty early so we wasted none. At one time I had about 400 ounces saved!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was freezing for DD#1 back in the day, in ice cube trays than transfering to bags. The cubes are about 1 ounce, less waste and easier to deal with, IMO.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I froze 6-8 ounces, and never had any problem using that amount within 24 hours, but my goal for the first 3 months of horrendous breastfeeding was to stockpile as much as humanly possible so I could stop -- so I'd pump right after bfing sometimes just to empty out the breasts and produce more milk! (Bfing was wonderful by month 4, but since I knew a sil was adopting a newborn, I kept pumping. I ended up giving around 1000 ounces to her.)