Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
rlsadc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pregnant and weaning due to pain

ok so im about 16 weeks along, and my dd (who is 18 months) hasnt nursed in about a day and a half...not because she doesnt want to, but becuase i dont want her to. the pain is too much for me. the pain is that of a bad latch, but her latch is fine...is it just because im pregnant? it hurts BAD when she first latches, and eases up after a couple minutes, but im never comfortable the entire session.

i feel so bad denying her (if she really wants it bad ill give it to her, but i do my best to distract her with some juice or a snack) and putting her down at night has been a nightmare for my dh. she just doesnt want to go to sleep without nursing first. im not sure if its an infection...or just normal. any advice?

(lol i should know whats wrong...but i just cant seem to figure it out)

Advertisement

rlsadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: pregnant and weaning due to pain

I went through it too...and it's just the pregnancy hormones I think. I don't know, I let him nurse if I couldn't distract him. He was nursing A LOT and since my nipples were so sensitive I just tried to slow him down and then he just quit because I lost my milk and he'd nurse and say "Milk all gone" and then he stopped wanting to.

Wish I had better words of advice for ya. My ds was about 2 though, so a little younger then yours.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Jamie
Registered Users

It's normal.

If you don't want to wean, it helps to set limits - 60 seconds on each side, or something. That lets her get her booby time, and keeps you sane cause you know when it will end.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Probably pregnancy-related. You might offer a straw cup or sippy cup of "warm milk" (as opposed to "mama milk" in our house), and if you tend to nurse in one specific chair, you might rearrange furniture so that chair isn't in sight for a while. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
ktrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the same problem! My DD is 17 months old and I am 20 weeks pregnant. I have been limiting her to one breast at each feeding because it hurts too much to latch her on the second one. It's exactly as you described. It hurts so much to latch on and for the first few minutes, but it never is comfortable. I've been trying to have DH feed her more often. She just got over a stomach virus, so we're trying to get her back to her regular eating habits. I hope it gets better for us both. I don't know if I want to wean her, but I would like to cut back a bit.
ktrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That happened to me when I was pg with #2. The pain was excruciating and I debated weaning quite a bit. I ended up drying up though and told dd the milk was "all gone". She seemed to understand, and while I was bummed we couldn't continue, she did quite well weaning.
Julie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
Robbins611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Lansinoh before nursing as a barrier. Tell her "just a few sips". Make sure there are no other issues..thrush ect. Deep breaths ...stay calm. Wear her on your back. Mothering your nursing toddler is a great book. I've nursed 2 through pregnancies. ABove all, don't feel guilty. This is a mechanism built into your DNA to protect the womb-baby. We didn't always have times of plenty where we could safely nurse through pregnancies and tandem 2. Your body is doing what thousands of years say is safest for all of you. Much peace!

Love and Light,
GIni
Robbins611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
meamom
Registered Users

I could have written this.

I'm pregnant with #2 and had to quickly wean my DD because of nipple pain. In addition to having pain that felt like an incorrect latch, my daughter was also biting me at every session (maybe because my supply was low?). Needless to say, her biting me made the decision a lot easier but I still really, really miss it.

The weaning was harder on me than her. She was 10 1/2 months at the time.

Cara ~ mama to Lila Wren (b. 1/16/07) and Rosalie Pearl (b. 5/11/08 six weeks early)
Come visit my mama blog!
meamom is offline   Reply With Quote