Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

sidelying help?

Hoping for some advice with sidelying position. My second breastfed baby is almost 3 weeks old and cluster nursing at night. I wasn't able to swing sidelying nursing with my first child until he was 6 or 7 months old. I'm large breasted and the baby doesn't latch well without help and doesn't stay latched well unless really well positioned, so often needs to be relatched. I also feel the need when attempting sidelying nursing to keep a finger on my breast above her nose, as I'm really afraid that she'll suffocate in my breast tissue while I'm sleeping. I'd really like to figure something out to allow us to nurse sidelying safely and with minimal activity on my part so I can sleep and nurse (i.e. SLEEP!) during her cluster nursing at night. I'm planning to attend my next LLL meeting locally, but it's not until next Friday (missed it this week, darnit!) and was hoping for some help here sooner. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Advertisement

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Masami
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: sidelying help?

I'm going through the same thing with my 3 week old, I could have almost typed this post. I'd like to hear any tips too.

And I just noticed... our babies have the same birth date!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:38 AM   #3
ekmaurer3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MY LO couldnt really successfully do sidelying until 3 months. I think it varies with each baby. But from what I have read most newborns are not effiecient at it because they fall off all the time or roll back. When we kept trying it when LO was younger than 3 months, he would always pop off. It was a hassle to keep putting him back on. One thing that would help is a rollled up blanket behind his back so he wouldnt fall backwards and fall off the breast.

As for how to make sure your little one doesnt suffocate in your breast i am not sure how to help because my LO always slept with him face crammed in my breast. that is how he loved to sleep for naps. But also loved to sleep with something in his face at night. He always had the ability to turn his head away, and that would wake me up or my husband if he was next to my husband.

HTH. i really think it takes a little longer for babies to pick up on sidelying where you can just put them on the breast and fall back asleep in a few minutes. We are finally to that point. and its so much nicer now.

Last edited by ekmaurer3; 01-13-2008 at 12:39 AM.
ekmaurer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
mommyof3co
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My youngest has done sidelying since we came home from the hospital..both of our favorites lol. What I did was bring his body really close to mine then kinda tilt his head back, like move his shoulder back a little bit then tilt his head up...so that way his face wasn't straight into my breast and his nose wasn't covered...does that make sense? Kinda hard to describe
Old 01-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't nurse lying down until Kase was 5 or 6 weeks. When we did get successful the most important part was pillows! Lots and lots of them beghind my back so that I could relax but still be on my side completly. In the early days it is best to have your arm under the babies head so that you can use it to steady a wobbly head and then can use it to bring them in really close. I'd use the other had to hold the breast and to keep the nostril area free. Sometimes if the babies head is a little tilted that can help keep the boob out of the nose. gl
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3co View Post
My youngest has done sidelying since we came home from the hospital..both of our favorites lol. What I did was bring his body really close to mine then kinda tilt his head back, like move his shoulder back a little bit then tilt his head up...so that way his face wasn't straight into my breast and his nose wasn't covered...does that make sense? Kinda hard to describe
His entire body was curled up next to mine (feet at my hips, knees folded into my waist). It allowed his face to be slightly upwards. Also - I would prop myself up on to pillows slightly.

Although, I wasn't really able to sleep with him on the side position until 6-7 weeks. He would roll off. I did kind of nod off though - just not get a good sleep until he was done.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #7
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

DD and I do sidelying exclusively when we're at home and have been pretty much since she came home. I have DD-sized breasts right now, so I'm not small either. I make sure dd's body is tucked really close into mine, otherwise her head is kind of down and her chin is tucked. Also I make sure she is scooted up a little bit higher than "mouth straight across to nipple" if that makes sense. If she's up a little higher it helps keep her nose free. Also, I found especially at first when her latch wasn't as strong it helped to take my top hand (the one I wasn't laying on) and wiggle that underneath my boob and keep the hand in between the boob and the bed. That way, the nipple was raised up off the bed more and she didn't have to bury her head down toward the bed to get it. HTH!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Elphaba71
Registered Users
seller

This has all been really helpful, thanks a bunch! Keep the ideas coming if you have anything to add.

Mom to Griffin - 2/5/06, and Rhiannon 12/23/07
Elphaba71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #9
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't do it at first and that's what really impeded our nursing relationship. A LLL leader told me to try this and it helped a ton. She said to latch him on in cradle hold and get him nursing well then sort of lean over to the side until we are laying down. It worked, kept him positioned well and by having my arm under his head I was able to keep his head back a little so that my ginormous ta-tas didn't suffocate the little monster. I always felt like I needed to keep a hand on my boob, though, to keep it in the right position, but I feel asleep like this several times and even when I relaxed he didn't have any problems.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started sidelying nursing on day 2, the day we came home from the hospital.
I also had to sit up, latch him on, and then lay down on my side keeping him latched on. And actually, even know at 13 months I do a modified version of that. My nipples were just too flat to be able to get him latched on well lying down.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote