Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

2nd grader who struggles with spelling?

Any thoughts on how to help him more??

We've tried a few things. We've kind of lately been just doing a list of words my mom (who is a teacher gave me), cvs words maybe? I think like the 100 most common words?

If something works for you or you have had one struggle, help me out here .

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: 2nd grader who struggles with spelling?

If he doesn't know the phonics rules, teach him. When my kids misspell words, I ask them about the phonics rules and that really helps them.

You might also try doing spelling with letter tiles (Scrabble or Bananagrams) or magnetic letters.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I would make sure he is solid on his phonics. If he isn't, I'd go back and review or reteach that. You could even do something like the Explode the Code workbooks. They are easy and work well.

I would also make sure he is solid on blending the sounds together.

On our school table, I have a "reading chart." It is from our phonics program. It shows all the vowel sounds and what can make them, like long O can be made by o_e, oe, oa, ow...and also has the special sounds like /ph/. When he is struggling with a word, I point him to it and he can use it to help him figure out how to spell the word.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My grade 2 boy is really coming along with explode the code online.

We do 20-30 minutes a day, and have seen a huge improvement.

If you get it here you save 50% on a year subscription.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.or...?source=152280
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We mostly read together a ton. If I notice my son is having trouble with a word, or if there is a word that I KNOW will present a difficulty, I'll try to find a way to help him learn it. I also try to focus on words that he especially likes - that definitely keeps him interested. He was fascinated by knives recently, and that's a tough one to spell. So one day to make time go by faster while trying to get the dishes done, I lined up knives... six knives for each letter in the word knives and made up a silly song. Sometimes I'll shape their meals into letters... for instance, using chickpeas to spell the word "chickpeas." Just some examples. Sometimes I'll quiz him (in fun, so he doesn't feel pressured) and give him the clue of how many letters are in a word, and if he has trouble, I'll find other ways to practise that particular with him... for instance, drawing a picture and writing the word next to it and letting him color it in. HTH.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
*krissy*
Registered Users

My Mood:

We love All About Spelling! I'm sure the price will seem overwhelming, going from free to not free. But it's completely worth it. And certain parts can definitely be homemade if you would like them to be.
*krissy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
helysa
Registered Users

I have a struggling reader/speller. She's 7 y/o. All About Reading & All About Spelling have made a huge difference for us. Don't get me wrong, she still struggles & has to work hard, but this has been a great program for us. Btw, you don't have to use AAR to use AAS, I was just saying we use both. I highly recommend AAS for struggling spellers.
helysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #8
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We love All About Spelling. It is really helping my son learn how to decode the phonics sounds into the letters that make them. You could get by with making your own letter tiles and just get the teacher manual/student set. They also have a 1 year 100% money back guarantee if it doesn't work out as long as you buy from their website.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #9
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

It probably won't be a popular idea, but how about taking a break & starting again this coming school year since the school year is more than 1/2 over?? Maybe he just simply isn't ready??

We use Spelling Power & they say that a child must be AT LEAST 8 to start the program. I know when my kids genuinely don't get something I take a step back & do something else like play games that help w/whatever it is, spend that time reading together (that way they can see words as I read them & know how to pronounce them), etc.

So far for us it has worked well to take a breather every so often when needed from a specific topic/subject.