Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

We always do lasagna as well. Its nice because we can make it ahead of time & just bake on Christmas.

Advertisement

Blame the typos on the iPad!
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: alternative christmas meal?

Minestrone and ciabatta. I am starting the soup tradition this year

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

We go to my mom's house for Christmas day and every year we have the traditional turkey, and the whole bit. But this year, she has some arthritis issues and declared it pizza, hot wings and pie night... I am excited because it is less of a hassle for her to deal with, less stress about dishes, etc....
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

A couple of years ago I did a tex-mex style christmas meal. A turkey breast with a spicy rub on it, a corn bake with cream cheese and peppers, spicy twice baked potatoes, etc. I can't remember everything but it was fun because it was basically the traditional stuff with a kick to it!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kts1120 View Post
As a older teen/young adult, we always had lasagna on Christmas day. Yummy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageR View Post
My dh always had lasagna on Christmas when he was a child, and we've done it a few times. My favorite part about it was that we could make it ahead of time so on Christmas day there was very little work to do (unlike Thanksgiving when I cook for 5 hours and eat for 20 minutes!)

But, since we have children we have been doing a big full breakfast and then appetizers throughout the rest of the day. About a week before Christmas we sit down and everyone picks out something they want to have. We always have chips and dip/salsa, cheese and crackers and some kind of meat like pepperoni, some raw veggies, and cookies. Whatever else varies - I usually choose a hot crab dip, my sister likes hot artichoke dip, last year I think we had sushi rolls. I think we've had mini pizzas and little sandwiches - basically finger food. No one has to spend a ton of time in the kitchen and we just kind of graze all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren_brooke View Post
We're another lasagna family! My mom started doing that instead awhile back. That's what I think of now when I think of a Christmas meal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ho11yb View Post
We always do lasagna as well. Its nice because we can make it ahead of time & just bake on Christmas.
This is so funny! We always host my dh's side of the family Christmas get together and always make lasagna- actually the party is tomorrow and I just finished making 2 pans of it!
LA RN and Mom to J '00, S '03, P '05 (CLW at 37 months), G '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & M '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so what would y'all suggest for a family of 5? Just us this year, me + dh + kids (7, 3, 1) lasagna is a possibility. Last year I made enchiladas verdes with rice, beans, guac, etc. The kids wouldn't eat it so they had quesadillas with the same sides. When with our extended family we do a turkey or ham with traditional sides. I am in a produce co-op and picked up some fresh yams, potatoes, broccoli, celery, and zucchini today so I was thinking a stew or pot roast.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
mrssb
Registered Users

Lasgna sounds great! My mil used to do it for christmas eve! WE may also do ricotta gnoocci, and a great salad, and garlic bread-he's excited! He fianlly feels like christmas is for him cause there's food he likes for it!!
mrssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
How funny - I was going to make a lasagna for Christmas eve. I didn't even know it was an actual Christmas tradition go me!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH's family (Italian) does a Timpano/Timballo. Fun to make and to eat: http://www.starchefs.com/ASchwartz/timballo.html

There's also the Feast of Seven Fishes, and we're planning to honor that with Cioppino this year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Seven_Fishes

We're having goose for actual Christmas dinner
Old 12-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #20
comom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands&Fire Pottery View Post
For Christmas eve, we do Raclette... it is a machine that melts cheeses and then you pour them over cooked potatoes- very yummy. We have also done fondue.
Yum!
comom is offline   Reply With Quote