View Poll Results: What kind of flours do you use in your every day bread?
More that 50% bread/white 2 28.57%
More that 50% whole wheat/other 2 28.57%
50/50 2 28.57%
Other 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What ration of flours do you use in bread?

I have a bread cookbook that says whole wheat dough needs more moisture and is stickier than white bread. When I stopped expecting my dough to be as non sticky as my white bread and stopped adding as much flour my 100% whole wheat bread turned out great and edible. My children will now eat it. Before this my whole wheat bread was heavy and inedible. Although it will never be as light and fluffy as store bought bread I don't really want it to be. I don't like the spongy store bought texture. To me if it isn't spongy it is really dry and tasteless when bought at the store.
I checked out the recipe in the above post. Not adding extra flour is probably the key to success in good tasting whole wheat bread. Whole grain flours take longer to absorb the moisture so if you add flour at first it won't seem to much but as it begins to absorb the moisture it becomes to heavy and won't rise well. This results in the hard, dry and crumbly bread. My first whole wheat bread was so hard I couldn't even cut it. Now they turn out great and I don't have to soak the flour the night before. I just remember that when I kneed the bread it will not stop sicking till after the first rise.

Advertisement

Last edited by qsefthuko; 12-20-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add comment
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do 1 c. whole wheat and 2 c. white. I like yummy bread.

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I have a bread cookbook that says whole wheat dough needs more moisture and is stickier than white bread. When I stopped expecting my dough to be as non sticky as my white bread and stopped adding as much flour my 100% whole wheat bread turned out great and edible. My children will now eat it. Before this my whole wheat bread was heavy and inedible. Although it will never be as light and fluffy as store bought bread I don't really want it to be. I don't like the spongy store bought texture. To me if it isn't spongy it is really dry and tasteless when bought at the store.
I checked out the recipe in the above post. Not adding extra flour is probably the key to success in good tasting whole wheat bread. Whole grain flours take longer to absorb the moisture so if you add flour at first it won't seem to much but as it begins to absorb the moisture it becomes to heavy and won't rise well. This results in the hard, dry and crumbly bread. My first whole wheat bread was so hard I couldn't even cut it. Now they turn out great and I don't have to soak the flour the night before. I just remember that when I kneed the bread it will not stop sicking till after the first rise.
Thanks for the great info. I'll keep that in mind.

I tried 50/50 today using white whole wheat and it turned out nicely.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote