Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Suzanne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty trained naked, pees in underware??

My son, who turned 2 in April does amazing on the potty, I'm so proud! Generally, he only wears a diaper to bed, and at nap time. I attribute his success to his total readiness, and naked time when he's awake. When he is naked (well, at least from the waste down) he does amazingly well. He'll even run INside to pee, when playing outside! He never has accidents naked, but when he wears underwear, he often has accidents. and not like, he can't get the underwear down in time, just pees right in them standing up.

Think he feels like he's wearing a diaper in underwear? I can't see what else would make that much of a difference. We live out in the woods, and spend nearly all our time home and outside, so I don't mind leaving him naked. However, eventually, cold weather is going to come, and he'll have to put on underwear.

Think he'll just *get* the underwear thing after a while?

Advertisement

Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
strollerfreak
Banned
seller

Re: Potty trained naked, pees in underware??

A friend of mine had this problem with her DS when he PT'd...she went with just putting loose shorts on him for a while, and when he got the idea again, then she went to boxers under the shorts for him. She's never had any issues with it since!

For him it was a feel thing...if he could feel the underwear on him, he'd not even bother trying to make it to the bathroom.
strollerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is doing this right now as well. He's fine if he's naked, but if he's in trainers or underwear he just pees. I feel like I have to train him all over again
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS did this, after 2 months or so being potty trained naked, he never had accidents in underwear. I would just remind him when he wore underwear that he needed to try going potty.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

that is pretty much where my boys are, though jonas still won't poop in the potty. *sigh*. anyway, just today micah had a huge milestone (imo)--we were at my mom's, he was eating dinner, and stopped and said he had to pee! that was the first time he has done that with clothes on! so i am feeling a bit more like they will "get it".
Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

For awhile my son wore pants or shorts without underwear. After doing that for a few weeks it was okay to put underwear on him.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

I had exactly this same problem. It just took a little time. We pl'd naked too (and my DS turned 2 in march). We did about a week of naked, then we put on the undies. He peed in his undies for a few days, and I really think because he thought "oh cloth, I can pee on it!" It just took a few days of me constantly telling him, "remember, honey, no peepee in our underwear!" Finally, he just got it. He started to go in them, and he said, "uh oh, no peepee undooway!" He occasionally still goes in his undies, but mainly when we're driving and he's fallen asleep in the car, or occasionally when he's really involved in what he's doing, and he just kinda forgets.

He does really good, though, most of the time.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
Think he feels like he's wearing a diaper in underwear? I can't see what else would make that much of a difference.
yes I think thats why - their little minds can't differenciate those two yet. He doesn't understand that the undies don't have the capacity as a diaper...

He'll figure it out eventually
Old 07-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #9
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did naked potty training with all 3 of mine. Took a 2 week with each one. I did loose shorts or pants for a couple months before we went to undies. I found with all 3 of mine ( who were from 25-30months) if their boy parts were snug they didnt remember they had to pee. If they were free and moving they felt the full/gotta go sensation.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD was like this too. I just tried to leave her with no panties until she got it. Didn't take too long.
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote