Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #21
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's cooking Decmber 2017

I made a new chicken thigh recipe on the crockpot yesterday that was a hit. No leftovers. Just honey, ketchup, soy sauce, basil, and garlic with boneless chicken thighs. Iím in the process of trying to empty the freezer as I am buying 150 lbs of beef after the first of the year. My aunt has a friend that raises their own grass fed organic beef and they sell the extra meat super cheap, like $3 a lb.

Advertisement

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #22
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Oooo yummy! My MIL makes a dish with them that has a sour cream type sauce with beef. Funny that when I googled the dumplings to try to find a way to use them up the dish that my MIL makes isn't anything like any of the recipes for it on the internet.
Maybe it's just a starch you can use however you like and each family does It's own thing.

I like a rice dish called biriyani and I've yet to have it the same way twice. Turns out there are wayn too many variations to count and each family has its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I made a new chicken thigh recipe on the crockpot yesterday that was a hit. No leftovers. Just honey, ketchup, soy sauce, basil, and garlic with boneless chicken thighs. Iím in the process of trying to empty the freezer as I am buying 150 lbs of beef after the first of the year. My aunt has a friend that raises their own grass fed organic beef and they sell the extra meat super cheap, like $3 a lb.
That's so cheap. I'm jealous.

That chicken sounds so easy to put together.Dh can't do soy sauce anymore but there is a cookbook that has a low sodium substitute. I wonder if it would work in this recipe.

I need to get my Christmas eve list together.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #23
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tried my fermented oats today and I'm not sure if the work is worth it. I did notice that my stomach is less rumbly after eating. I made three days worth so I have to eat it. It has a definite tang and it was difficult to flavor like I usually do.

Definitely noticing that the King Arthur flour makes a big difference (improvement) in all recipes.

Made sourdough pancakes today. Not sure if they were a hit as my two trusted critics are still asleep.

What are you all cooking today?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #24
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is anyone else prepping for the Christmas meals today?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #25
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Is anyone else prepping for the Christmas meals today?
I wish. We celebrate Christmas early December since DS1 isn't with us for Christmas.

Last year DH and I tried to start the tradition of a sort of date night on Christmas Eve after the littles go to bed with a nice steak dinner for just the 2 of us. Then lasagna for Christmas dinner but this year I'm dairy free so there goes lasagna lol. Then I forgot to get something for our date dinner so much for trying a new tradition lol.

What are you cooking Alga?
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #26
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I wish. We celebrate Christmas early December since DS1 isn't with us for Christmas.

Last year DH and I tried to start the tradition of a sort of date night on Christmas Eve after the littles go to bed with a nice steak dinner for just the 2 of us. Then lasagna for Christmas dinner but this year I'm dairy free so there goes lasagna lol. Then I forgot to get something for our date dinner so much for trying a new tradition lol.

What are you cooking Alga?
I love the date idea. I'm supppsed to be dairy free but I admit I struggle during Christmas. One of our Iraqui friends sent us these small cream filled pastries in phyllo with honey and pistachios. My non dairy resolve crumbled immediately.

We do the feast of the seven dishes on the 24th. So I'm chopping and dicing mostly today and cleaning some of the seafood. I have a batch of marinara simmering for calamari dipping.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #27
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I love the date idea. I'm supppsed to be dairy free but I admit I struggle during Christmas. One of our Iraqui friends sent us these small cream filled pastries in phyllo with honey and pistachios. My non dairy resolve crumbled immediately.

We do the feast of the seven dishes on the 24th. So I'm chopping and dicing mostly today and cleaning some of the seafood. I have a batch of marinara simmering for calamari dipping.
Oh my, my dairy freeness would end at those pastrys too. I admit I cheat here and there but I try to at least avoid the more pure forms of dairy like milk, cheese, and yogurt. I'm more likely to cheat when it's just something made with dairy. I'm not as particular as I was at first. I really need to get back to that. I miss fruit and yogurt parfaits so much. I have yet to find a good dairy free yogurt. They all have a funky texture.

The feast of seven dishes sounds like a lot of work lol is it just your family or are you cooking for a crowd?
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #28
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I need to cook some pork today or tomorrow--we're having chimichangas for Christmas dinner. Not exactly traditional, but we're staying home this time and I wanted to make something nice that wouldn't take much time/effort on Christmas Day. We do a traditional brunch of waffles with strawberries and whipped cream and if I did a traditional Christmas dinner I would be cooking ALL DAY LONG. So we're going easy this year, and I'm excited for it.

Trying a new recipe for Christmas cookies to take around today: chocolate peppermint crinkle blossom cookies. I think I might the peppermint out and just make them chocolate blossom cookies.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:57 PM   #29
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

We are making Christmas snacks today!

Rotel and "trash."

I also baked a spaghetti squash because I never have.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #30
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh my, my dairy freeness would end at those pastrys too. I admit I cheat here and there but I try to at least avoid the more pure forms of dairy like milk, cheese, and yogurt. I'm more likely to cheat when it's just something made with dairy. I'm not as particular as I was at first. I really need to get back to that. I miss fruit and yogurt parfaits so much. I have yet to find a good dairy free yogurt. They all have a funky texture.

The feast of seven dishes sounds like a lot of work lol is it just your family or are you cooking for a crowd?
I have not found a dairy free cheese or yogurt I like either. I keep trying.

I think I'll have 12 in total. I sometimes invite people last minute if they don't have plans.

I'm going to do things differently this year. I usually have it all ready and lay it out and we sit down around 4 pm or 5. It has to be earlier tomorrow because everyone is coming right after Mass. So I'm going to an earlier Mass and then coming home to cook so at least some of the courses will be ready when everyone gets here.

It is very casual and laid back so it doesn't feel like work. Does that make sense? The people I invite are good eaters and good company.

So it looks like dinner will be:
-smoked salmon with garnishes
-Mussels in White wine
-Fried Smelts
-Linguine with clam sauce
-Baked Cod
-Fried Calamari
-Garlic Shrimp
-Stuffies (I don't make these)

I might make a simple pasta in case someone needs a break from the seafood. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I need to cook some pork today or tomorrow--we're having chimichangas for Christmas dinner. Not exactly traditional, but we're staying home this time and I wanted to make something nice that wouldn't take much time/effort on Christmas Day. We do a traditional brunch of waffles with strawberries and whipped cream and if I did a traditional Christmas dinner I would be cooking ALL DAY LONG. So we're going easy this year, and I'm excited for it.

Trying a new recipe for Christmas cookies to take around today: chocolate peppermint crinkle blossom cookies. I think I might the peppermint out and just make them chocolate blossom cookies.
My dd is drooling over that cookie recipe. You reminded me that I need to decide when to make my Christmas log thing I'm trying out this year.

I usually make a baked bread pudding or french toast casserole for breakfast morning. I have zero room in my fridge right now. Can I make one ahead and freeze it?

I love Chimichangas byt he way and I'm craving some now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
We are making Christmas snacks today!

Rotel and "trash."

I also baked a spaghetti squash because I never have.

What is rotel and trash? Did you like the spaghetti squash?

Help!
I want to make this Christmas cookie log thing but it needs to be refrigerated. But right now my fridge smells like a fish market. I don't want it to smell fishy. Do you think if I wrap it really well it will avoid the smell?

I was thinking of putting it outside but I think it will freeze.