Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #51
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: my 9y/o dd just started her period!!!

I was 16 -- maybe K-boo will inherit my luck? I can't imagine what it's like to start so early.

2nd period French class, and my dad was the stay-at-home parent at that time, so I had to call him to come pick me up. Nope, I didn't have any kind of a just-in-case stash. =/

I've gotten some good ideas from you all. God bless the internet - lol.

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 08:30 PM   #52
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started at 13, I was a little shocked but my mom didn't want me learning sex ed from school and since they lump together sex ed and leanring about things liek periods- I was outa luck. I told her and she asked me if I ahd any questions... well, I asked if it was an all-at-once deal (like taking a wiz) or if it took a while... she said 'sort of both' and handed me these ginormous matress pads. My stepdad told everyone loudly at a religious gathering (I could have died)
I think celebrating in a way the girl is comfortable with is wonderful, a way to bond and ease into woman hood. I would do the same if I ever have a girl.
And yikes, 7? i would have assumed I had about 6 years left, I don't think I would have brought it up at all by then! I have heard of these starter packs of sanitary pads.tampons for girls who are new to it, maybe that would be a good idea?
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:49 AM   #53
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Holy crap! A few weeks ago I thought my almost 9 year old started her period. Basically, she was playing outside and ran into the house then bathroom suddenly. She is very private and modest, so imagine my surprise when she opens the bathroom door and is bawling her head off with her shorts and panties down around her ankle, holding toilet paper up to her crotch, and telling me she needs me. I nearly passed out, but as it turned out, she saw an ant crawl up her shorts and it bit her you know where! I thought it was a bit early for her, as she has not started showing any signs of puberty whatsoever. Whew!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #54
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

I didn't start until I was 15 but my sister and I were very, very late bloomers! (And still are very skinny, small chested girls.) I think it probably has a lot to do w/ body type.

I think it's great that you celebrated the event! I wonder if there is any kind of book we can get for dd's before they expect their period to tell them about it in a cool way? Not so that we don't have to avoid telling them, but as a "read this and let's talk about it" thing.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:37 PM   #55
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

My great grandmother and grandmother both started menstruating at around age 9, so my mom gave me 'the talk' at age 8. She went to school with a lot of girls who weren't told about it at all and thought they were dying when they saw blood.

I didn't end up starting until 12 1/2, but I was prepared.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #56
Moo&LaLasMomma
Registered Users
Formerly: Ms.LillyAnnzMommy
seller

My Mood:

my prayers are with you !!!! I didn't start till i was 15

Andrea mother to Ms.Lilly-Ann 2/4/05
and Ms.Molly Renee 6/10/08
Proudly raising My Minis
Moo&LaLasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #57
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

There are no hormones in Canadian milk

I was 11, my older sister was 13 at the time and did not start for another 2-3 years. My mother didn't handle it very well. She noticed my panties in the wash, I don't think she was prepared at all for it. She just bought me some pads, then if I leaked she'd make me wash the blood out and if I didn't get it all out threaten to put them on the table for everyone to see.

yeah, I'm not doing it her way.

My oldest is 7.5 and I've warned dh that it is possible in another 1 1/2years that she could have it.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #58
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD #1 just turned 10. She was diagnosed at ate 6 with Central Precoscious Pubery. She started developing at age 6. The Endocrinologist said it was due to all of the soy and the Human Growth Hormones in our meats. She was on Lupron Depot shots for years. We now treat it naturally. And we try to do all organic meats. The Doc said that CPP is going to become epidemic if something isn't done and this will greatly effect fertility rates and cancer rates (uterine, breast etc).
elioraimmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #59
CheaperByTheDozen
Registered Users

I grew up on NON hormone ANYTHING and I got my period at 11... almost 12. Everyone else I knew got it at 15 or so. I was so jealous. I was overweight though... I think had I not been it would have stayed away longer. UGH.
CheaperByTheDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #60
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm I wonder if weight does play a part? My daughter at age 12 is about 75lbs... very thin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheaperByTheDozen
I grew up on NON hormone ANYTHING and I got my period at 11... almost 12. Everyone else I knew got it at 15 or so. I was so jealous. I was overweight though... I think had I not been it would have stayed away longer. UGH.