Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Re: Americans living abroad... How did you do it?

I am an american living in thailand with my dh and 6 year old ds. My dh got a job offer in thailand with his company and we embarked on the adventure of a lifetime. We've been there 18 months. For the most part we love it. I get cranky sometimes about not being able to get certain food stuffs we are used to. I had to learn to cook just about everything from scratch as convenience foods aren't available. One of the biggest adjustments for me was having household help. We have a driver and a maid. Gardeners that take care of the yard. It seems people are in and out of my house and yard all the time.

The thai culture is very different. Thailand was never occupied by a western nation and is therefore not westernized at all. There aren't alot of americans here either. Most of my friends are european. We speak very little of the language. It's easy to get by with english as we live in a tourist town. My son attends a british international school. We are lucky as he is getting a far better education than he would in the states.

We are looking at other expat assignments when this one is done. We would prefer to stay in thailand but that probably won't happen. I would be open to moving to china or hong kong.

Advertisement

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:22 AM   #22
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb96 View Post
I had to learn to cook just about everything from scratch as convenience foods aren't available.
This is even true for me here in the NL. Luckily cooking has become quite a hobby, so I don't usually mind. There is a store in the 'burbs here that sells a lot of American goods at jacked up prices, but I try to avoid it as much as possible. Every once in a while a girl needs a box of Lucky Charms though, ya know?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:33 AM   #23
Sheena Beena
Registered Users

My husband is in the Air Force and we live in Germany. We've been here just over a year. We live off base in a tiny village. I love the country but it definitely isn't home. We have around 2 years left here, then we're going to try and go to either Italy or England.
Sheena Beena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #24
laceymr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*contemplating enlisting DH in the Air Force*
Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #25
Chickpea's Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
There are some downsides (I miss Target, lol)
Haha, Target is what I miss most about the States... and.. uh..er... family... right... family.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM   #26
Ameya
Registered Users

We are moving to Dalian, China on August 18th!! :-o My husband is an English teacher (I'm finishing my B.A. online) and we just wanted to go see the world. We met in Chinese class in college, so it was natural for us to start there. I think we'll probably be there a year and then South Korea for one or two years (it pays so well we'd be able to pay off most of our student debt in that time). We both want to go back to school (DH wants to be a chemistry teacher instead & I'll want a masters) and we're hoping to be able to get into school in England (or at least NYC/New England), ideally we'd love to settle down in the outskirts of London.

Of course, that's the plan now, we'll see what life has in store for us!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #27
BusyLizzy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are an army family living in Germany. We LOVE it!!!! We are at the end of the second tour (6 years) and trying to get extended again. We live off-post and love our neighborhood. We can walk to anywhere we want to go and buy pretty much anything we would need without getting in a car. We love how relaxed everything is here. I feel like I was always rushing around in the States. Meals are expected to take two hours here. You are not given the ticket and expected to leave right away. We go for long walks, late dinners, etc. I would stay forever if I could!
BusyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #28
laceymr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyLizzy View Post
We are an army family living in Germany. We LOVE it!!!! We are at the end of the second tour (6 years) and trying to get extended again. We live off-post and love our neighborhood. We can walk to anywhere we want to go and buy pretty much anything we would need without getting in a car. We love how relaxed everything is here. I feel like I was always rushing around in the States. Meals are expected to take two hours here. You are not given the ticket and expected to leave right away. We go for long walks, late dinners, etc. I would stay forever if I could!

This is what I'm talking about! And in Bavaria nonetheless... heaven.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #29
tuckergirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

We were in Germany, too! DH is Air Force and he was in Germany for 3 years - we got married and I joined him 1 year into that tour so I was there 2 years. Our DD was born there. We LOVED it there. I miss it and we want to go back SO badly!!

I think when you're there with the military though, it's easier. We chose to live off base and had a combination of German and American neighbors. We lived in town just outside the base so the town was probably about 50/50 German and Americans. It was nice to be able to hit the commissary for any American stuff that we missed, and have the option of shopping on the economy as well. I think I would have done a LOT more of my shopping on the German market if the dollar hadn't been so weak while we were there!
Old 08-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #30
babyreargear
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am so jealous! My hubby and I want nothing more than to go overseas for a little while. Hopefully that is in the cards, but you never know.
babyreargear is offline   Reply With Quote