Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

SAHM mommy boredom, how do you deal?

I know every job can get boring but I live in the country and getting out everyday isn't possible. So what do you do to break up the day and keep everyone sane?

Because seriously sometimes I get a little lonely at home and a little down because we do the same things a million times a day.....you know chores, change diapers, potty runs, chores, lunch....dvd.

Okay we have good days too but I'd love to hear some fresh ideas or even just others to chime in and say I'm not the ONLY one.

Advertisement

Last edited by MrsS; 05-06-2011 at 03:43 PM.
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SAHM mommy boredom, how do you deal?

I thought I would have trouble adjusting but found it easier to do things outside of the house than 1st thought. do you live on a paved road? take a walk.
Find neighbors with kids.
Try to find something to do in town once a week. I totally know about the whole 'cant ge out everyday thing' but even getting out once a week breaks up the monotony.
Have a yard picnic. its fun for LO's to crawl around. DD loves riding her battery operated 4wheeler or pushing around a push toy.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I don't see how people get bored when they can go outside and enjoy nature. There is always something new to see -- new flowers, different birds, different insects to watch and study, dig in the dirt, etc.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's easy to get bored when you live in the middle of nowhere, and you entire life is spent admiring nature. LOL! There's only so much "oh, look at this pretty flower - no, don't eat the flower! I said look at it! Oh great, you ate the flower and the ant climbing on it" I can take before I get start to get a little stir-crazy.

The best advice I have is to find some activities to get you out of the house once in awhile. I have LLL meetings once a month, and then a playgroup every Monday. I love those days, LOL!

On the days we're house-bound, we go outside a lot. I let DS1 and DS2 run wild in the backyard, while I enjoy a book and the sun. It lets them play independently (which they need!) and allows me some time to recharge. None of our neighbors have kids, but I'm fortunate to have friends with LO's in the same age range of my kids - so we try to do at least one playdate a week.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
It's easy to get bored when you live in the middle of nowhere, and you entire life is spent admiring nature. LOL! There's only so much "oh, look at this pretty flower - no, don't eat the flower! I said look at it! Oh great, you ate the flower and the ant climbing on it" I can take before I get start to get a little stir-crazy.

The best advice I have is to find some activities to get you out of the house once in awhile. I have LLL meetings once a month, and then a playgroup every Monday. I love those days, LOL!

On the days we're house-bound, we go outside a lot. I let DS1 and DS2 run wild in the backyard, while I enjoy a book and the sun. It lets them play independently (which they need!) and allows me some time to recharge. None of our neighbors have kids, but I'm fortunate to have friends with LO's in the same age range of my kids - so we try to do at least one playdate a week.
This is so true.

OP, no, you AREN'T the only one. We live in town for now, but lived in the boonies before we had DS and I got so bored then, even though I was free to do whatever, whenever. Do you have any hobbies that you can spend time on during the day when the kid(s) are napping? Or friends/neighbors nearby you can go visit? Plant a garden, read a book?
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
PrissyMaesMama
Registered Users
seller

I dont live in the boonies so we get out quite a bit for library story time, grocery store, open gym play time, etc... However DD takes a 3-4 hour nap every day and I was really starting to get tired of cleaning an already clean house every day during nap time. So I have taught myself how to sew and make hair bows and I do that during nap time. During awake time, we take a walk every day that the weather is nice, bubbles and out door toys, and story time. hope this helps
Old 05-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are not alone! We love in the middle of nowhere too. Walks are out of the question because we live miles from the first paved road and the gravel roads are too narrow to walk on to be safe. We have 50 acres to play on, but it is hard to contain 2 toddlers. Just letting them go in the yard in fun, but it just means I spend the entire time trying to keep them from eating chicken poop or rolling in the mud puddles.

And trips to town are not an option because DH drives our only vehicle to work. I am very interested in hearing peoples ideas.

I am interested to hear ideas.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
MrsS
Registered Users
seller

I need to get better about just visiting more people but we've been getting over colds and I never visit when we could spread germs.

We do have a garden although I am not the biggest fan of weeding it! I should start as my dh would go bonkers in a happy way if I did! He's obsessed with farming!

For some reason my dd hates it when I try to read a book. I think she thinks I'm not paying enough attention to her. I can read online some but I'm finding that's not quite enough to keep my brain busy.

I do enjoy listening to books on tape! I need to look for some more good titles any suggestions?

It's super windy here (we have a wind farm 3 miles from our house) so we can't get out every day as sometimes it's just so annoying to have that much wind while outside. We do go for walks every other day when we're healthy. We like going out in the wagon.

Yeah, but I have to watch my 7 month old like a hawk cause he'll eat anything and everything including rocks and bugs!

My dd doesn't nap but I've started enforcing a quiet time in her room. I will confess my daughter whatches way too many dvds...I feel guilty about it but since she's been sick she was whining constantly and my dh was gone most of the week and the whole weekend and I was sick too along with my 7 month old. We'er feeling a little better now but very stir crazy and honestly my brain cells feel like they are dying! I do love cleaning that's one thing that makes me feel good about myself. I also love having friends over and making new friends but I have to pace the families energy or everyone's cranky!

Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming!!

Last edited by MrsS; 05-05-2011 at 01:30 PM.
MrsS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrissyMaesMama View Post
I dont live in the boonies so we get out quite a bit for library story time, grocery store, open gym play time, etc... However DD takes a 3-4 hour nap every day and I was really starting to get tired of cleaning an already clean house every day during nap time. So I have taught myself how to sew and make hair bows and I do that during nap time. During awake time, we take a walk every day that the weather is nice, bubbles and out door toys, and story time. hope this helps
I don't mean to hijack the thread - but you live an hour from me, mama! Are you guys stationed at Dobbins?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

OP we do understand! Everyone gets bored or lonely at times even if they are a WAHM or WOHM. Life just gets tedious and mundane sometimes but like everyone suggested, find ways to spice it up. good luck
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote