Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone CDing to save $$$$ ?

Originally, yes, we were in it entirely for the cheap angle. Circumstances have changed, howvere, and we're in it for the environment and the cute, now, as well as the sake of dd's poor behind and accomidating her wetting patterns - nothing, nothing, wait for it, nothing, FLOOD! When we were scraping by, we used the cheapest of prefolds and covers, then went to fitteds and better covers and wool, then to pockets and a few aio's. In the long run, though, we will still save money, since I can reuse everything for #2 and eventually resell! Hard to take that view of it when $14 for a pocket sounds soooo expensive, though!

Advertisement

Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #12
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am!!! My baby is not here yet but I have bought EVERYTHING I need/want. Though I must admit i am always lurking on FSOT to be sure there's not a deal that I just can't resist.

I have:

19 bG OS
30 Infant PF's
11 Preemie PF's
2 Newborn Proraps
4 Small Proraps
8 Cotton Babies "socks"
24 Fleece liners

PLUS the essentials in CDing:
2 wetbags
2 pail liners
lots of wipes
Snappis

Seems like alot to me but so little when I see other stashes on here. I have spent right around $350. Not much when you consider it all. We plan to have more babies too so these will all be reused.

I can't wait til my LO comes in April so I can start using it all.

Charlene Keala 9.27.10, Zakary Michael 10.25.12 & Lillian Hikialani 10.25.14 ~

Baby "Teo" due December 2016 || Loving life on the Big Island!

Last edited by kannondicarpo; 01-16-2007 at 06:15 PM.
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #13
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Even though I have mostly fbs and bgs now---I still think we're saving money. DS is our first child and we plan on many more, plus all of my diapers have been bartered/traded for on the FSOT. We've also been blessed by many FFS diapers that we'v been able to use and pass along. We started off in just pfs and prowraps.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #14
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

I definitely started to save money. I had no idea that I would get so into it I probably didn't have a heck of a lot in the beginning b/c she only wore smalls for 5 months and I haven't resold them yet, but we don't have a huge stash, so I've saved. I've spend about $500 total I think. I would have spent $800 on sposies by this point. But when you factor in washing, I probably haven't saved a bundle. But like a PP said, I will get $$ back when/if I resell, although my mediums will be very well loved by the time we're done with them.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to cloth diaper to begin with for the environment, but I have been doing it on the cheap... I have 24 fitted and 6 wool pants/covers and about 25 wipes. I bought 100% fabric either on sale or in remnants. I spent $1 for enough fleece to line 2 diapers when I found some in the remnants at Jo Anns. I used terry and flannel as soakers in the dipes and I bought Aplix and elastic on sale or where I found a deal. I ended up spending about $2 a diaper roughly. Then I found a deal on wool sweaters at the local thrift shop for $2 a piece and can make a soaker and set of longies from each one. So it was about $1.50 each for my wool.
When I first started i used old sheets as flat diapers (with pins) and hand rags as inside soakers with wool or plastic pants.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do. Although we have several "nicer" diapers (including 2 FFs, a BP and 2 BP on the way), our stash is still VERY small compared to most people...DS just never seems to need it. I find it hard to understand how other children go through so many diapers, when DS could really wear like, 3 pockets a day (although I usually change him anyway, even if he doesn't "need" it). So having such a small stash has allowed us to afford some nicer diapers. But I still LOVE my prefolds. <3 Unless you have a stash the size of Ooeys I don't really think you come anywhere near what it would cost to use disposable diapers.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
baconbitz
Registered Users

I CD for the $$ savings. I've spent less than $200 on our stash. We have:

20 regular prefolds (bought new)
6 premium prefolds (bought new)
6 Kissaluv contours (bought used)
1 Kissaluv fitted (bought used)
3 Bummis SWW (bought new)
2 Proraps (bought new and now outgrown)
2 Fuzzi Bunz (bought new: one medium and one large that I'm not sure will ever fit him)
3 BumGenius! seconds (bought new)
and 3 Cottonbabies Stay-Dry Doublers (bought new and that I wish I had 9 more of.)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM   #18
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

I started out that way, but I really like having convenient items on hand like pockets and fitteds. Here is what I have:

36 pf's $28
Dappi's pull ons $10
Bumkins covers $20
WWB covers $16
wool soakers $20
longies $40
snappi/pin $6
pockets $50
fitteds $30
hemp pfs $11
MF towels $5
doublers $8

So I've spent about $250, but w/2 kids in diapers I was spending $60 a month, so I would've spent $720, so I've achieved my goal. Now if I can stop looking and liking all the cute stuff out there.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
shell015
Banned
seller

I started off to save money. A very good friend of mine gave me her DS's hand me downs to start off with and a diaper cake of PF's. I have just gone crazy from there. I bought material and made all of ds's dipes.

We have unlimited Fitteds... I mean I don't even know how many
8 IPF's that I paid $10 for
10 CPF's that were traded for some clothes
Plastic pants $4
and covers that I made him
1 stactinator cover that I just received today from a swap.

So his whole stash has cost me a total of $14 not including the fabric and such... But I don't add that in because the CDing has also become a business and I am not out any money for buying because I make more than what I spent on the fabric and bonus I get to be a WAHM
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 PM   #20
amandaev
Registered Users
seller

I DO!! So far, my nb/small stash is complete and my medium is almost there. So far everything is brand new, except for 3 covers and 2 diapers. 23 of my diapers were on sale. And I have managed to get a few custom things from My Precious Baby by April, Royal Buns, Nana's Bottoms and even a splurge for a Berry Plush (which I bought presale, so it was only $20 as apposed to $25). Here are my numbers What I could have paid vs. what I DID pay (had I not bought 5 things in EUC or 23 things on sale).

COULD HAVE SPENT:

$452.89

I DID SPEND:

$239.50

I have saved so far:

$213.39

Not to mention I have saved over a thousand on diapers and a thousand on wipes. Anyways, not that I'm keeping track or anything but, yes! I'm doing it to save money!

Last edited by amandaev; 01-16-2007 at 07:39 PM.
amandaev is offline   Reply With Quote