Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
Lmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Potential future homeschoolers

Thank you for the practical info!! I've already requested the recommended books from the library. We would be moving to Wisconsin. Are there any kinds of things life what I described (besides private schools), where he could go to a more "typical" school setting a couple of days and home school the rest? I think it is likely that we would only homeschool for the younger years and I want them to be able to transition easily to standard school without it being too stressful for them. I think there are some obvious benefits and perks to homeschooling, but I haven't decided if I want to completely skip the typical school experience - I had a good experience in public school and had opportunities to do some things I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. On the other hand, I realized my kindergartener has a spelling test on Friday and it made me just cringe because he is so not there yet.

Which leads me to another question... I have a feeling school will come pretty easily to my youngest, but my older son might struggle a little. This is both why I think homeschooling would be good, and why I hesitate to pull him out. There is dyslexia in the family, and he already shows some signs of it. And we were trying to do his homework last night and he cried twice because he was so frustrated. I think homeschooling would allow me to teach him at a pace that won't frustrate him and ruin his natural confidence, but I also worry I wouldn't do enough to push him and provide him the external supports he may need.

Has homeschooling had any negative effects on your relationships with your children? I think that sometimes school teachers can push children in a different way than parents can. Thank you for helping me muddle through my rambling thoughts as we consider making the switch!

Advertisement

Lmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

There are charter schools in AZ (where I live) that cater to homeschooling families, where kids can take classes a couple of days a week and stay home the other days. I think some co-ops work like that too. Also, when the kids are a little older, they can participate in extracurriculars--sports, music, etc.--with the public schools if you go talk to the administration. At least that is the law here. My kids are doing Robotics Club at the elementary school once a week.

I think there are things you can do as a homeschooler to work with your son who may be dyslexic. I would google that, there are so many resources and so much information available now that you really don't have to just figure it out on your own. Homeschooling could be a very good fit for you and allow you to personalize your kids' learning in ways public school never could. You may still have access to the public school resources as a homeschooler--I don't know how other states do it, but like I said, as far as I know here in AZ all the resources available in the schools are available to homeschoolers as well. You may be able to get him a tutor or something through the school and still do school at home.

We are new homeschoolers, and we have good weeks and bad weeks, but overall I feel like homeschooling has had a very positive effect on my relationships with my homeschooled kids. I don't push them like a teacher would, but a lot of the point of homeschooling is to let them learn to push themselves and follow their own interests. And I know a teacher wouldn't love and understand them like I do, so it all works out.

Good luck! You'll figure it out!
Old 09-03-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You could do is someone mentioned is to look at the state sponsored homeschool program in your state. My friend participated in one and they had online access to teachers etc. and they also had field trips.

If you are worried about the transition you could create a more school at home setting that is structured like a traditional school day although you might come to enjoy developing your own rhythm.

Some co-op situations are very much like mini schools.

My relationship with my children has been strengthened. We have our challenging days but for the most part they have grown to understand that we (dh and I) are their greatest allies.