Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
Jul_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Alternative to rice cereal?

My ped explained that the intestines aren't developed enough until 6mo for food. We started with rice or oatmeal cereal but this time (2nd son) I'm planning to start with sweet potatoes, banana, and other fruits and veggies one at a time. I'm not going to use any grains for a long, long time.

Advertisement

Jul_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
bpirof
Registered Users
seller

Our ped told us to do oatmeal, much easier on the belly and less constipation... But it's best to wait until 6 months, they really don't need it until then
bpirof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
calund
Registered Users

We skipped the rice cereal and all purees and went right to table food around 6 months. Soft stuff to start but I also let her gnaw on a chicken bone and she was eating meat regularly by 8 months. Baby led weaning is a great way to go - we have never had to feed our daughter (she does it all herself) and we never have fights or power struggles over food.
calund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Kimmiecello
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest didn't like rice cereal - we switched to oatmeal.

I started my twins on solids at 5 months (boy was more than ready, girl couldn't care less). I'm making their food, so they haven't had any cereals. I do give them a yogurt blend in the morning along with a veggie and a fruit, though.

5% off cloth diapers and supplies everyday at www.thenaturalbaby.com - use coupon code KF130713

www.hyenacart.com/notablebeginnings
Kimmiecello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah I just skipped cereals with mine. I did do pureed but used chia seed to thicken it
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeah, skip the rice cereal. And the downside to starting sooner is a higher risk for allergies as I understand it.

Also, I hate to be a cynic, but I would not take nutrition advice from a pediatrician or any doc. (only a registered dietician). Doctors are not really required much training in nutrition and I've run into many who have serious misinformation (contradicting what I learned in a college nutrition course, and with my position confirmed by my RD friend.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
Littlebee9702
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaMae2010 View Post
I didn't read all of the responses, but have you heard I baby led weaning? It is wonderful!!! I can give more info if you'd like!
I have heard a little big of baby led weaning but not much. I would love more info! It seems like such a more natural way of introducing foods But Im not sure of exactly HOW to do.
Littlebee9702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
Littlebee9702
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by marenmccoy View Post
Yeah, skip the rice cereal. And the downside to starting sooner is a higher risk for allergies as I understand it.

Also, I hate to be a cynic, but I would not take nutrition advice from a pediatrician or any doc. (only a registered dietician). Doctors are not really required much training in nutrition and I've run into many who have serious misinformation (contradicting what I learned in a college nutrition course, and with my position confirmed by my RD friend.
Good point! I never thought about asking a dietician. Always just assumed doctor would know best but a dietician.....they would be the expert on this. Thank you!! Ill look into that

Good point about the allergies too!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Littlebee9702
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Yeah I just skipped cereals with mine. I did do pureed but used chia seed to thicken it
Oooh I actually have some chia seed! I like to put it in fruit juice. Have you seen those shops that have the weird jelly blogs in drinks and teas? The chia seeds in juice kinda make it like that but better
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Littlebee9702
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpirof View Post
Our ped told us to do oatmeal, much easier on the belly and less constipation... But it's best to wait until 6 months, they really don't need it until then
From most of the responses on here, it sounds like it would be best to wait a little longer.