Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

Weaning help please

I understand baby shouldn't have bottle after 12 mos. when do I start weaning? Month before? Right at 12 mos?

How did you reduce?

Advertisement

FosteringInfants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Weaning help please

I start introducting other alternatives around 10mos. Every kid is different. DD1 only took to hard-spout sippy cups & it took a while to establish that. We got her taking water out of the sippy, then slowly switched her over w/ milk, taking the last bottle away @ 13 mos. We tried any number of things w/ the twins; they refused sippy cups & didn't figure out how to use a straw cup until probably 14-15mos. We're trying, but they still take a morning & nighttime bottle of milk
Old 06-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

For morning, pre-bedtime or nap time, I really see no problem in letting an under 2yo have a bottle. They should mostly be using a cup, but if you were nursing they'd still be on a nipple, just not a bottle nipple.

I really start cutting the morning/nap/bedtime bottle by 18mo.

Before 1yr, my kids are mostly on the breast for milk, so anything else is out of a cup, which makes it easier to take bottles away. Since you use formula, only offering that in a bottle and using a cup for water or juice will be helpful. This way, as they begin eating more regular food, they will automatically start decreasing the amount of time using a bottle.
Expecting #4 August 2015

Last edited by bellx1; 06-15-2015 at 09:00 AM.
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS was breastfed/bottle fed till 6 months when he transitioned to just formula. At 10 months or so, I slowly cut bottles & gave formula in a sippy. By 11 months, he was doing so well that I just didn't give him any bottles. I watched his consumption of liquids & gave him the same amount of formula in a sippy. I never put him to sleep with a bottle so it was an easy transition.

(After a bottle, I changed him & patted him to sleep. It was easy to just do the same routine with a sippy. At night I held him as he drank the sippy & gave him cuddle time just like a bottle.)

DS was an incredibly easy baby so I really just lucked out I think.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #5
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

Thanks for the ideas! Doesn't care for milk in sippy yet. It's a foreign concept! We'll keep working on it. He can use a straw but therapist encouraged a regular sippy cup. Any opinions on that?
Old 06-18-2015, 06:11 AM   #6
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes sippy cups with squishy spouts are easier to figure out. NUK was a good transition cup for my boys.
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosteringInfants View Post
Thanks for the ideas! Doesn't care for milk in sippy yet. It's a foreign concept! We'll keep working on it. He can use a straw but therapist encouraged a regular sippy cup. Any opinions on that?
DD had issues. She did well with the hard tip Sippy cups (Literally the cheapest Take &Toss worked.) She also did well with a straw.

Oddly... I got opposite advise. We went to a "Feeding Clinic" with her and they advised straws. (My daughter had a high arched palate with muscle weakness so it was easier for her to "ball" the liquid & swallow it. She actually choked on Bottles & couldn't handle a soft nipple sippy.)

Is there a reason the therapist advised against straws?

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
FosteringInfants
Registered Users

She didn't advise against but didn't mention them so I thought those were to wait until older. I specifically asked this week & she said her dr recommended the straw ones for her child too! This frustrates me because he could use a straw months ago! Now that I can get these we'll definitely be mostly weaned by 12 mos!