Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #11
maddiemommaof2
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stick to formula or switch to whole milk

Most other European countries offer Toddler Formulas. The US seems to finally be steeping up on the bandwangon if you notice they are making stage 1 or stage 2 formulas or straight up Toddler Formulas. My Son is severly allergic to Soy and Milk plus a lot of other foods. It is a shorter list to say what he can it than what he can not eat. He just turned two and I plan to keep him on his Nutramigen Toddler until he is consuming enough daily to meet his needs. Nutramigen Toddlers made for up to 3 years old so the trend is changing from putting them onto milk. Even though it is sooo much cheaper and insurance has not helped me at all and being a single mom every penny I make goes to feeding him. Really it is more of a question of at one will your baby be able to eat enough foods during the day to add up to the nutritonal needs of what is in 8 ounces of formula? Milk no matter how much you give won't by itself do that which you know. Really AlternaMilks like Soy, Almond and esp Coconut have more Calcium Vitamens and Especially MCFA's "the GREAT for your Fats", I have been slowly introducing these to him but giving him the Toddler Formula as well.

As you baby has sensitivites to milk which is different from allergies you may think of using soy or other alterna milks instead so long as they are the unsweetened versions. I also watched and read specials on breastfeeding. It is more common to BF than FF in European Countries and most of them let there child self wean which is around 3 years old. I gleaned that was probably so as most of there formula Brands go to a stage 3. Also keeping up with the formula feeding insures that pickey eaters get all the vitamins and minerals they need. It all seems a win-win to me.

I too intended to Breast Feed as you did but my son contracted Staph from his birth hospital it ate all the lymph nodes out under his right arm. He had a almost 2 inch deep 1 inch wide hole I had to pack with gauze wet with saline four times a day. If you ever felt salt in a wound you can imagine the pain he was in and they gave him only OTC pain meds. It was odd to me they gave him morphine before the packings in hospital but his IV in his foot came out and we were sent home with tylonel and a prayer. Because of this I could not pick him up to feed and could not afford a pump good enough to get enough out to fully bottle feed or keep my supply up. I squeezed out as much as I could and took great pride in the little one or two ounces as I watched it disappear down to his tummy. Formula is made to keep your child alive and growing. It is as needed and crucial as breastmilk because there will always be some mother who will need it for so many different reason's I can not even list them. Either way My son would have needed this formula he is on until even after he is 3 probably even if I breastfeed him until he weaned he would still be drinking it in his cup. I thank God this formula was made because he would not be here without it.

Advertisement

maddiemommaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote