Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
ALL4FARRAH
Registered Users

Re: For those of you who breastfed then decided to formula feed?

I nursed for 3 months with daughter, but I stopped because I was school full time and bringing my electric pump was hell!! Mostly because I couldn't find anywhere to plug and pump in private, then I bought a hand pump which was even worse!! Just nurse part time or only at night... At least the baby will get something, good luck.

Advertisement

ALL4FARRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #22
wonderstruck
Registered Users
seller

Same exact reason as you, OP...it was so stressful at my work. Legally they had to give me the breaks and they knew that - but it was inconvenient and stressful and difficult, and my supply just tanked as soon as I went back to work.
wonderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #23
Violetmama12
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do what is best for you. A happy mama = a happy baby!
Violetmama12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #24
Sk8cate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped a strict schedule starting at 3 weeks, trying to increase and maintain my minimal supply for my lazy nurser. It evened out around 16 oz. per day. When my son was twenty weeks old, I got a stomach bug and my supply dropped to four ounces per day. At that point, I tried extra pumping and such to get my supply back up, but after two weeks, nothing changed and I was overwhelmed. It was hard to give up. I was so determined I would pump longer, but once I stopped, I feel like my sanity is back.
Sk8cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #25
Jomama2005
Registered Users
seller

Nursing can be very stressful. When my second baby was NB I was dying to just leave the house ALONE with no carseat, diaper bag or anything but me. I even loved trips to the grocery store. It stressed me out because when the baby got hungry DH would text me "She starting to get hungry" ... "She's starting to cry" ... "She's really hungry are you almost home?" And I wanted to scream because there was a freezer full of pumped milk AND a can of formula. He didn't want to "waste" the frozen and didn't want her to have formula. I got really depressed and overwhelmed and lashed out on him and didn't want to be around the baby. I got pregnant again when she was just under 6months old and that dried up my milk. At first I was so upset I couldn't breastfeed her anymore then once she was totally weaned I felt so much happier. So much mor FREE. He didn't need me to feed her, and now that I'm 34 weeks and on modified bed rest he does all the feeding and I can enjoy my toddler. Do what feels best for you. I'm planing on bf and supplementing with this new LO for my sanity's sake! And for what it's worth, my youngest brother was bf for 3 months then formula fed and he is a genius! Smarter than all his older siblings who bf for at least 12 mo.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 06-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #26
Gavins_Mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wanted to do it, but it just wasn't working out. He had a poor latch, not tongue tied. He would only do it on one breast, if he got on, and out right refused the other. The lactation consultant was useless. I was getting frustrated and so was my baby. He would just get mad at my breast, and push it away.

We decided to supplement. It worked out for a little while, then he just kept refusing the breast. I didn't want to force him, so BFing just ceased.

Breast milk didn't satisfy him either. If he had it, he was hungry the next hour. I just couldn't do that.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't formula feed but I supplemented with donor milk. Dd2 preferred the bottle and by 6 months of age just wouldn't bf any more. Between work and school I had to pump a lot but at that point wasn't getting much milk. My other 2 bf babies nursed to ages 24 and 35 months. Proof that every baby is different

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #28
Jessi87
Registered Users

I've always had issues I have flat nipples so lots of latching issues. First son I wasn't educated enough so I gave up before even starting . My second son got his colostrum but my milk oddly didn't come in never got a letdown. Asked doctor and even tried prescription but nothing. This time around I tried a contact shield and pumped. Did so for three weeks but with food intolerances and lack of supply I had to go to an elemental formula.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Jessi87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #29
Punkie04
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both my girls started on nursing, but my supply was not enough, to where I had to supplement, and after 6 weeks and only 3 oz produced a day, it was formula full time. I was able to freeze some to mix with her cereal when she starts that though.
Punkie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
Marrvelous
Registered Users
seller

Tried to BF DD, but milk never came in. Had to start supplementation just after leaving the hospital because she lost soooo much weight (over 1 lb.) Tried to go back to just BF, but she dropped weight again. Now we are almost 100% bottle.
Marrvelous is offline   Reply With Quote