Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-06-2015, 03:57 AM   #11
Jgirlx10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Store Brand or Name Brand

I use the store brand of anything, if there is a store brand. The ingredients are usually the same at a fraction of the cost.

Advertisement

Jgirlx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:48 AM   #12
2littlemonkeys23
Registered Users

My first DS we only used name brand, we were hoping to use generic for our second DS but his body isn't tolerating the normal formulas well so we have to use Gerber brand and they don't make a generic hrdrolyzed formula.
2littlemonkeys23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
joyfulgirl_3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I supplemented w/Similac w/my first son. As others posted, Kirkland's (Costco) is made in same plant as Similac.

I foster and have used a variety of other formulas. I think Enfamil has a slightly different smell and is a little more 'yellow' so when they spit up it stains the clothes more.

Within the last few months, I read an interesting article about Organic formulas (can't find specific link but you can Google Organic vs regular formula). Besides not having antiobiotics and growth hormones in the milk, they also didn't have 'oils' and stuff as their first ingredients.

Costco has Vermont's Organic is even cheaper than Similac. I skimmed the ingredients but saw some wacky things. Would be interesting to compare to Earth's Best Organic.
joyfulgirl_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Emmajane13719
Registered Users
seller

I didn't know Costco carried organic formula!
Emmajane13719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 PM   #15
Emmajane13719
Registered Users
seller

That's awesome.
Emmajane13719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 AM   #16
joyfulgirl_3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Similac gives better/more coupons than Enfamil . Enfamil seems to be slightly more yellow/darker to me and stained the clothing more.

Kirkland (Costco) is like Similac..supposedly made in same factory just like their diapers are from Huggies.

Costco has large containers of Kirkland, Similac and an organic formula. I haven't read those ingredients carefully. They don't take coupons but prices are already good.
Better to start off with samples to see what baby likes/tolerates before buying econo sizes of formula. Some babies are choosy...some aren't.

While all brands meet the same minimum FDA requirements, they all have different ingredients and different amounts of ingredients (based on order in label) of ingredients. Some 'cheaper' brands (ie Target) can be constipating for some babies (amt of iron).

You can read about corn syrup in formula and various 'oils' and figure out what you are comfortable with.
http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animal...-baby-formula/
joyfulgirl_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #17
gimmejellybeans
Registered Users

I started out with Similac, and switched to generic because it was so much cheaper. I use the partially broken down stuff for my LO, although I've been debating switching to a lactose sensitive formula, since he spits up so much, to see if that changes anything....
As far as generic vs brand though, the generic are made by PBM in Canada as well, so it doesn't matter if I go to WalMart or Superstore - it's still $10-12 cheaper.
gimmejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #18
0percent
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've been using Similac from the start and it has been great for our son. We gather coupons and shop at BJ's and Wal-Mart to help offset the cost.
0percent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #19
kawaii_momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Honestly, for us it doesn't matter. I even asked our pediatrician and he said all formulas are basically the same regardless of brand. All gentles are the same, all soys are the same, etc. It really is up to your preference!
kawaii_momma is offline   Reply With Quote