Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
azriona
Registered Users

Switching Formulas - but to what?

So, background: my eldest child was formula-fed five years ago, back when there weren't many options. He was on Enfamil, had some spit-up/reflux, but nothing too major, and as I recall, at the time there weren't too many options anyway. Anyway, he started on solids and has been doing great ever since, no big whoop.

Now I've got Son #2, seven weeks old today, and he's also formula fed. The hospital started him on Similac Advance, but switched him to Similac Sensitive on Day 2. The nurses said he was fussy and spitting up the regular stuff (I'm an adoptive mom; I didn't really see him until he was discharged from the hospital so I've only got their reports to go by). Anyway, he was doing great on the Sensitive, gaining weight, all that stuff, until the last week.

Well - he started being a bit colicky around Week 3, but nothing that a dose of Happiest Baby on the Block didn't fix. But last week, it got worse. He's always been a good eater (5 to 5-1/2 ounces every three or four hours, burbs like a dream), but suddenly he was fussing during the bottle, complaining and crying, and burping became impossible. And gassy! Oh my word. He wasn't drinking as much, either - down to 3-4 ounces, if we're lucky, and sometimes, only 2. And worse? No poops. For about 24 hours, he didn't poop a bit - and then he did, but it wasn't newborn poop, it was solid. And by solid, I don't mean super hard rabbit pellets, it was about the consistency of peanut butter and still the same yellow it has always been (which is the same color you'll see on those pics of normal newborn poop). But it's basically the same form as grown-up poop, just a bit softer and yellow.

So. I called the pediatrician, and he recommended switching the bottle, to see if that doesn't help with the feeding. And it did - we'd been using Born Free, which my son did great on, and now we're on Dr Browns, and all the fussing during feeding is gone, and he's back to burping SO much better.

But... he's still not back to total normal. He's still drinking only about 3-4 ounces at a time, every 2-3 hours. Poops are still solid. And while he's fine during a feed - he's cranky after, and he's desperate for cuddles and doesn't much want to be put down. (I'm actually in shock that he's asleep in his bouncy chair at the moment.)

Here's the question: The pediatrician said the bottles didn't work, to try switching him to Similac Alimentum. Thing is - that was back when he was constipated and majorly fussy, and those aren't really applicable anymore. I've also done some reading, and it seems that Alimentum is totally hypo-allergenic, but there's some middle-of-the-road options, like Similac Total Comfort and Similac Soy, that I wonder why we aren't trying first.

Granted, I can call the pediatrician in the morning (and I probably will), but here's what I'm wondering - is there a good reason to jump those options and go straight to hypoallergenic? It seems super extreme, and I worry that we might be going overboard.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with switching to the other types of sensitive formulas? NONE of these existed with my older son, I'm a bit lost as to the differences between them, even after reading the literature!

TIA!

Advertisement

azriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
joyfulgirl_3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Switching Formulas - but to what?

If he has solid poop..isn't that a sign of constipation even if he is pooping? I know some babies are sensitive to the Iron in it. Isomil is iron free...(not sure how they then get the needed iron.)

"Constipation
If your baby's poop is hard and looks like little pebbles, she's probably constipated. Your baby may be visibly uncomfortable when she's pooping, and the poop may even be tinged with blood from irritating the anus on the way out.

One or two pebbly diapers isn't a concern, but if your baby has three or more (or if you see blood), it's best to call the doctor. Constipation often happens in babies who are being introduced to solid foods, or it can be a sign of milk or soy protein sensitivity or a lack of tolerance to something in breast milk or formula. Your doctor may recommend giving your baby water, pear juice, or prune juice to help move things along."
http://www.babycenter.com/baby-poop-photos

Yours doesn't sound old enough for juice etc. Alimentum is super expensive.

My son was on it for colic like symptoms. His birth mom (also adopted) gave him whole milk and baby food at 4 months so doc said his intestines were irritated/inflamed.

He did say once the worst of it was over I could try regular Similac again. But, I wasn't risking the non-stop crying again.

Good luck finding something that works. Hopefully the doc can give you sample cans.
joyfulgirl_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
belindacampbell
Registered Users
seller
seller

3-4ounces every few hours is fairly normal. My youngest never ate more than 5 ounces even at 5 months. We ended up using nutramigen. It is expensive but worked wonders for digestive issues she was having. Once we knew it worked we bought off of eBay for significant discount.
belindacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote