Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Come fight about prenatal drug testing

I think mothers and infants should be tested without regard to consent IF there is reasonable suspicion that the mother has been using, or that the baby is affected by drugs.

Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea.

I feel this way for a few reasons -

1) I think performing medical procedures (incl tests) without consent of parents is AWFUL

2) I think there are some things (like pot or alcohol) that are socially unacceptable in our society but aren't a TRUE detriment to a baby/mother in reasonable doses.

3) Overall, my feelings towards medicine & health are: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so if there's nothing WRONG, why are we searching for a problem??? That bothers me about our current medical community as it is, I only see this idea as furthering it.

4) While I ABSOLUTELY agree that babies should be protected from crappy parents, I kind of see society stretching from one extreme of ignoring abuse, to the other extreme of "let's assume everyone is an abuser". I HATE that and I see this as just more of the same.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 06-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
hhilgen2
Registered Users
seller

No, I don't think it should be mandatory. I feel like it's an invasion of privacy. Personal(ish) experience:

My SIL is 41 and just had the last of their 3 children. Her and BIL are successful PhD's and are microbiology professors, have gotten all prenatal care, and are just generally upstanding citizens. Her other 2 babies were both 4 weeks early. DD #3 was also a month early. CPS came in right after birth and made the baby wear a drug-testing diaper and generally treated them like criminals - she told them that she thought my SIL had been doing drugs since the baby was early. When it was (surprise surprise) NEGATIVE, she didn't offer an apology. Just handed the baby back and left. What a crappy experience when you're supposed to be celebrating the birth of your child.
hhilgen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhilgen2 View Post
No, I don't think it should be mandatory. I feel like it's an invasion of privacy. Personal(ish) experience:

My SIL is 41 and just had the last of their 3 children. Her and BIL are successful PhD's and are microbiology professors, have gotten all prenatal care, and are just generally upstanding citizens. Her other 2 babies were both 4 weeks early. DD #3 was also a month early. CPS came in right after birth and made the baby wear a drug-testing diaper and generally treated them like criminals - she told them that she thought my SIL had been doing drugs since the baby was early. When it was (surprise surprise) NEGATIVE, she didn't offer an apology. Just handed the baby back and left. What a crappy experience when you're supposed to be celebrating the birth of your child.
That's DISGUSTING. I'm so sorry they had to go through that. ugh.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I think mothers and infants should be tested without regard to consent IF there is reasonable suspicion that the mother has been using, or that the baby is affected by drugs.

Otherwise, I don't think it's a good idea.

I feel this way for a few reasons -

1) I think performing medical procedures (incl tests) without consent of parents is AWFUL

2) I think there are some things (like pot or alcohol) that are socially unacceptable in our society but aren't a TRUE detriment to a baby/mother in reasonable doses.

3) Overall, my feelings towards medicine & health are: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so if there's nothing WRONG, why are we searching for a problem??? That bothers me about our current medical community as it is, I only see this idea as furthering it.

4) While I ABSOLUTELY agree that babies should be protected from crappy parents, I kind of see society stretching from one extreme of ignoring abuse, to the other extreme of "let's assume everyone is an abuser". I HATE that and I see this as just more of the same.
Agreed.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am leaning strongly towards only if a reasonable doubt exists. The same as it is towards home searches. Then I think an outside source should do the processing of the test.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

From a brief googling it looks like the standerd of care for pregnant women includes drug testing for diagnostic purposes. In 14 states the law requires doctors to report positive test results. Those states are Alaska, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Utah and Virgina. It doesn't look like women have to give consent, or even know they are being tested in those states.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Seeing what drugs can do to infants I think there should drug test done every time you go to a prenatal visit. Seeing the crappy parents drug addicts make, I have no issue with children being taken away permanently by CPS .

Last edited by AbbieJack; 06-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
1:No I don't think all mothers should be tested. Those with a history or with children in the system because of their drug abuse yes.

2: Yes it should be admissible but possibly only as a stipulation of their parole or in a circumstance where they are trying to receive custody of children.

3:No I do not think newborns should be tested. Testing the mother should be adequate if drug use is suspected imo.

4:See above answer for last question.
and if I may add. I am tired of being treated like some cheap 2 bit hooker because I am pregnant. I am in a monogamous relationship. Yes I know guys and women can be creeps but lets not test for EVERY STD (multiple times) just simply because a mom is pregnant! I do IVF. I get tested for EVERYTHING under the sun because of the regulations regarding IVF before I even see my little embryo. I would be willing to bet that the number of women that go through IVF and later find out they have an STD is somewhere around the odds of me becoming an astronaut!

I think women should be able to opt out of all the STD testing if she feels she is in a monogamous relationship. Why make a mother with 4 kids and pregnant with her fifth (all from the same daddy) feel like a hooker or that her DH is sleeping around. Not all guys do that!

Sorry being pregnant right now makes me blow my top on this issue.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This hits hard for me.

I am in recovery from heroin and asked multiple times before going to the hospital what drugs would be given postpartum because I knew I would be having a csection and there would be pain management. My regular ob had no problem but when I got to the actual hospital to give birth my questions raised "alarms" I believe they tested both me and my baby and then with negative test from us both the still continued to question me after birth about three days bc my baby was cranky? he is a newborn under "the lights" (biliruben SP?)) after a birth where he was pulled from me via c-section.

My son had only one working kidney know before birth and was taken from me to be put in the surggery not quite ICU but our hospitals closes thing to it. I was a new mom and still coming to terms with his kidney situation. I was so hurt by the accusations after clean drug screens on both our parts. It actually affect me for a long time, like I did something wrong even though it had been more than three years since my last use.

I personally believe he was a newborn wanting to be held and with the billirubon and their excuses I was not able to hold my baby enough. Once we were home things changed a lot. he was still an intense baby, acid reflex and two parents who had no idea what to expect and me thinking I had already done something wrong from my past. something that had not been a part of my life for years?

I carried this unfounded and unnecessary guilt with me for years.

This may not directly be answering the OP question but I feel like I was judges and treated unfairly because I admitted that years prior I was an addict. Addicts should be tested so many people should be tested. I wish I had kept my mouth shut but I did not want to be offered a handful of narcotics upon leaving the hospital.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I am leaning strongly towards only if a reasonable doubt exists. The same as it is towards home searches. Then I think an outside source should do the processing of the test.
Not picking on yours, yours is just the last one to say this.

I think reasonable doubt can get too sticky. Reasonable doubt would need to be defined very clearly. What is reasonable doubt? Someone smells funny? sounds spacey? can't concentrate? My mom had a friend arrested for public drunkenness. She was 25. Police said she was tripping a lot and slurring her speech- and she was. but she wasn't drunk. She had brain damage from a motor cycle accident 6 years earlier. She always looked drunk, but she never drank. It really appeared they had cause to arrest her.

Now if they already have kids in the system for drug related stuff then definitely. For 2 reasons though. It can take a long time to get kids back from the system and they don't always need to be in the system as long as they are. If a woman whose children have been taken from her for drug use is passing her drug tests then there is no reason to take a new baby. That use to happen, i don't know if it still does now though.

If there was something that could be done to stop birth defects or birth issues related to prenatal drug use then I would probably say yes to mandatory testing even though it does feel like a violation of right. But in this case the are 2 (or 3 depending on how you look at it) peoples rights involved. however since there isn't much that can be done to stop prenatal damage. Depending on the drug- withdraw or medical treatments can be just as dangerous as the drug to a fetus. You can't make a woman stop doing drugs. You put her in jail and you have withdraw or medical treatment which may be just as bad for the baby and you then have a baby born in jail. I don't think prenatal drug testing really helps much. Plus what if its a legal drug? Its not illegal to take prescription drugs, drink or smoke while pregnant. Its child endangerment but where does the line get drawn. So does it get drawn at illegal drugs or does it get extended to say narcotics or anti depressants? The baby is in danger but no laws are being broken.