Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #21
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My new favorite kitchen gadget: Instant Pot

Is this still working well? Have you tried rice? It looks amazing. Thinking I need to put it on the Christmas list. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #22
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingk View Post
Is this still working well? Have you tried rice? It looks amazing. Thinking I need to put it on the Christmas list. Thanks
It is working so well that I haven't had a chance to play with other settings yet. It's always in use. I've done some Mel's where I just throw meat, a veggie and my spices and the meat comes out fork tender. Also the flavors still stay distinct which is a bit different from the crockpot.
My gripes are that the sikicone seal does retain some odors and you have to give it a log soak. I think that detracts from the time saving aspect. They should include an extra ring.
Also I did get a bit of discoloration in my pot but a bit of baking soda seemed to take care of it.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
knittingk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks. Can an extra ring be ordered for it? We have started cooking venison in the crockpot but this maybe a better choice if it is faster (since sometimes I forget to put it in on time)..
Old 11-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #24
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I thought of this pot a lot. I ended up ordering it. It should be here today. We are from scratch cookers, and the fast cooking appealed to me. Thanks for sharing Agla!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #25
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hope you like it.

I'm trying to think about what I've learned. Always make sure the steam vent is set the right way when you are going to cook.

You can vent two ways. Fast vent where you turn the nozzle and let the nozzle spray steam out. It generally shoots in one direction but use a towel just in case. You can also quick vent and if it starts spitting just close it and give it a go in a few minutes.
Natural venting is when you just let it sit and the build up subsides on its own. That takes longer 20-25 minutes so we usually quick vent or my dh does because he's hungry.lol

There is a dry bean cooking time chart right on the instant pot site. I found that I like adding a few extra minutes.

It makes a very clear bone broth too.

I know you can order extra rings from them and Amazon. I'd like to have a different one for your in making sweet things.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #26
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I'm twiddling my thumbs. The PO didn't put the package slip out until after they closed. I'm already preplanning meals. Thanks for all the tips! I'll use them, I'm sure. And the quicker vent trick sounds like something I'll try out, right off the bat.

I have a perpetual bone broth going in the crock pot now, I'll be eager to try the broth in this cooker too. I already started saving chicken bones.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #27
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
I'm twiddling my thumbs. The PO didn't put the package slip out until after they closed. I'm already preplanning meals. Thanks for all the tips! I'll use them, I'm sure. And the quicker vent trick sounds like something I'll try out, right off the bat.

I have a perpetual bone broth going in the crock pot now, I'll be eager to try the broth in this cooker too. I already started saving chicken bones.
What is a perpetual bone broth?

Did it arrive? What are you trying first?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #28
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Perpetual bone broth is a slightly roasted beef bone, I add garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Then the next day you take out half of the broth, and add the same ingredients and refill with water. You just keep doing that for up to 7-10 days on low.

It did come! I made rice, because I wanted to get rid of my rice cooker if it worked. It worked! I might have to play with the rice and water ratio a little. Then I made chicken stock. Today I'm going to make the filling for chicken pot pie.

I did use the fast valve steam right away. Thanks! I love the stainless steel, and the rice was so easy to wash out. It is so easy, I love just throwing it in, and pushing a button. I don't have to babysit the stove, adjust the temp, start timing from the first "jingle". I want to try making dairy free yogurt next week.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #29
betsynic
Registered Users
seller

I add a little more seasoning when using pressure cooker. The food doesn't have as long to absorb flavors. I love the pressure cooker for cabbage and especially for artichokes.
betsynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #30
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
Perpetual bone broth is a slightly roasted beef bone, I add garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Then the next day you take out half of the broth, and add the same ingredients and refill with water. You just keep doing that for up to 7-10 days on low.

It did come! I made rice, because I wanted to get rid of my rice cooker if it worked. It worked! I might have to play with the rice and water ratio a little. Then I made chicken stock. Today I'm going to make the filling for chicken pot pie.

I did use the fast valve steam right away. Thanks! I love the stainless steel, and the rice was so easy to wash out. It is so easy, I love just throwing it in, and pushing a button. I don't have to babysit the stove, adjust the temp, start timing from the first "jingle". I want to try making dairy free yogurt next week.
That jingle sounds like a baby toy sound.

Let us know how the yogurt works out. My dairy yogurt came out really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsynic View Post
I add a little more seasoning when using pressure cooker. The food doesn't have as long to absorb flavors. I love the pressure cooker for cabbage and especially for artichokes.
Probably less stink doing it in the pressure cooker. I have not made artichokes in forever.