Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
Mousemom
Registered Users

Shower thoughts on ugly babies.

I was out and about the other day and I met this other mother with her LO.

And sweet Jesus. That child was ugly. There wasn't anything wrong with him, mind you. Just a healthy baby. I can't stress this enough.

But man was he ugly . Like a Winston churchill Mr potato Head. Like a Steve buscemi with a botox addiction.

And as we met and greeted and oohed over how precious the primordial raiasen child was I couldn't help but think.

"Gee wiz. I'm glad MY baby isn't that ugly. MY baby is perfect and beautiful. I ought to sign her up for baby modeling. She would be a baby supermodel."

But then I thought again.

I just assured this woman that her ugly baby was in fact perfect. Alot of people probably do. She most likely thinks he is. I would be disturbed if she didn't.

So really. I don't know if I have a cute baby. Nobody does. You are always going to think your baby is cute. And nobody in their right mind is going to call out a gremlin child for being dropped off the ugly truck.

It's like shrodingers baby. Every baby inhabits a state of both ugly and freaking adorbs, and we have to perpetually pretend that it is always the latter.

Life is weird. Babies are weird.

Advertisement

Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Shower thoughts on ugly babies.

I like Schrodinger's baby both ugly and freaking adorbs is awesome and so true!!! Even if I don't think other peoples' babies are ugly, I usually think they're just ehhh. But mine, mine is gorgeous and smart and basically the first baby in the world to be this way.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

During my first birthing class our instructor passed around those pictures of newborns that they used to take in hospitals. It was a huge stack with plenty of ugly babies. She wanted to make sure we understand that sometimes they are just not cute at all.

I will admit that mine come out looking pretty wrecked with the exception of the middle one. Of course they are absolutely beautiful to me but I could completely understand why others might pause if asked if they were beautiful. :lol:

My friend had a boyfriend for many years and it was completely known that he was a hideous baby. He was basically born with man features. He was not unattractive at all as a young adult but the baby stage was not kind to him at all.

I used to teach baby classes. I clearly remember the model and pageant babies.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #4
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I read in the readers digest that a Dr. would say, "s/he looks like his parents." but that usually meant the baby looked ugly.

I have a friend who's boys are toddler and not cute in the least. And she is always isn't he just adorable. I'm like, no, but what can I say? see above comment from the dr.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ehhh...this is sort of an ugly and distasteful train of thought, IMO. What makes one feature beautiful, and another not?
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:28 PM   #6
abh5e8
Registered Users

I agree Jen. I have never seen an ugly baby. And as someone who believes we are all made in the image of God, and that we reflect his true beauty, I often find the beautiful vs ugly distinction arbitrary and divisive.

That said... I DO believe a mother has eyes and a heart and a special love for her children... I believe that to be a God given gift to help us love our sweet little ones, even on the most trying of days.

Last edited by abh5e8; 08-01-2017 at 06:52 AM.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 AM   #7
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Ehhh...this is sort of an ugly and distasteful train of thought, IMO. What makes one feature beautiful, and another not?
This isn't a debate about beauty standards. It's an acknowledgement that some babies may not appeal to our personal aesthetic but we find them endearing and lovable anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
I agree Jen. I have never seen an ugly baby. And as someone who believes we are all made in the image of God, and that we reflect his true beauty, I often find the beautiful vs ugly distinction arbitrary and divisive.

That said... I DO believe a mother has eyes and a heart and a special love for her children... I believe that to to be a Good given gift to help us love our sweet little ones, even on the most trying of days.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
I think that most mothers sees with the eyes of pure love. A glimpse maybe of how God loves us.

But I also think that that birthing process isn't kind to all babies and that's absolutely fine to acknowledge.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post

That said... I DO believe a mother has eyes and a heart and a special love for her children... I believe that to to be a Good given gift to help us love our sweet little ones, even on the most trying of days.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
This isn't a debate about beauty standards. It's an acknowledgement that some babies may not appeal to our personal aesthetic but we find them endearing and lovable anyway.

I think that most mothers sees with the eyes of pure love. A glimpse maybe of how God loves us.

But I also think that that birthing process isn't kind to all babies and that's absolutely fine to acknowledge.
Maybe I'm wrong but I wasn't under the impression that it was a newborn that had a cone head or whatever from birth process (which still doesn't make it ugly IMO), just that it was an 'ugly' infant. That, IMO, is about beauty standards and I think that's sort of a gross topic at any age but especially in relation to babies.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
owlyce
Registered Users

My nephew was a little odd looking for the first 6 months or so but now at 3 he's adorable.
owlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

Maybe I'm wrong but I wasn't under the impression that it was a newborn that had a cone head or whatever from birth process (which still doesn't make it ugly IMO), just that it was an 'ugly' infant. That, IMO, is about beauty standards and I think that's sort of a gross topic at any age but especially in relation to babies.
We read the original post completely different. I read the point was that because beauty standards are so subjective there is no knowing if a baby is "beautiful" or not and that it doesn't matter. Which I think is similar to your point too.

I brought up the babies that are born a little beat up in the birth process based on my own experience and my birthing instructor. I was glad I was prepared before hand because my poor kid went through the wringer and looked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlyce View Post
My nephew was a little odd looking for the first 6 months or so but now at 3 he's adorable.
I find it often works out like that.