Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
mama0609
Banned
seller

Does anyone feel (RE: Man-Made DHA)...

That if more people just breastfed their babies, we wouldn't need all this 'DHA enhanced' stuff?

I keep seeing the ad for the new Juicy Juice with DHA and how DHA helps with brain development and blah blah blah...

I want to scream 'just breastfeed your babies, that's all the GOOD DHA they need!'...

Am I weird?

Advertisement

mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Arisce
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone feel (RE: Man-Made DHA)...

I feel the same way. I don't watch TV and I only read Mothering Mag(when I have time, which is about never). I'm just irritated with America right now.
Arisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually like the "man made" DHA because it's made from seaweed. I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat many foods that contain omega oils, like fish.
I do think it's crazy how it's become such a fad, however.
As a side note, I despise milk-but I tasted some Horizon Organic 2% with DHA added and it is absolutely delicious. It is thick and rich like whole milk, and has such a great flavor to it.
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
mama0609
Banned
seller

DHA is from seaweed but ARA is from Algae... Kinda gross (to me) that they would put algae in formula... like it's not gross enough.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
mama0609
Banned
seller

Oh and I take a 100% plant based omega 3-6-9 supplement... I can't do fish oils, they make me sick...
Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
joeymomrn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know I know. I agree. Of course there are those moms that just can't breastfeed, but on the whole I think a lot of people just don't want to make the effort. Personally I"m tired of people who ask, oh you're still bf'ing him? He's only 8 months old!!! It's like if you do bf, then it should only be for a few months or something...whatever. I mean the APA actually recommends bf'ing now for the first year of life but you don't hear that advertised.

Jeanine Catholic, wife to dh (4-28-07), semi-nonvaccing, NFP, home schooler, mommy to J (9-12-08) B (12-9-11) and due 4-28-13 with #3
joeymomrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
mama0609
Banned
seller

Well... to be honest... it does get to me to see mom's with low supply claim they 'can't breastfeed'... Hrm... I'm still breastfeeding.. I have low supply... I pump MAYBE 7 oz a day.... But I still nurse before every feeding (usually, but I may switch to nursing before naps so she gets into that habit for when she's older) and overnight. I nurse whenever she asks for it. True unable to breastfeed is pretty rare... It does happen where some mom's make NO milk... But usually the ones who say they can't BF made some milk, but not enough.

Off my soap box now, lol.

I am waiting for the 'are you still BFing questions' ... DD is 4 months old and yup, we still BF. I may not supply ALL of her nutrition but she's getting so much from me in those oz that she gets a day. Even if she only got an oz a day, I'd still nurse!

And of course you won't hear it advertised to BF for at least a year! Then the formula companies wouldn't make money! And I have my thoughts about the formula companies and the government and babies being less healthy if they aren't BF and how the $$ roll... But that's a whole 'nother vent, lol.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Sarah0903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that they use that kind of stuff as a ploy to get people to buy the product - plus they can charge more if it has "extras". I think you are right though - if we all bf then we wouldn't need that stuff!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've not looked into this much, but interestingly, Dr. Sears has a line of vitamins with DHA.

I guess I'm really fortunate that I have never gotten the "you're still nursing?" question. I expect I'll start getting it around a year old.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

What is DHA?
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote