Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #23
Javamama
HAHA! Wait. What?
seller

My Mood:
Re: i don't know what to do :(

Sometimes when I read the responses here I feel as though many think a vast majority of teachers are terrible, toxic and horrible people who allow children to be mistreated under their supervision. I am a teacher and I know that there are a plethora of excellent and talented educators out there.
I am not against homeschooling, but I do think that educators work extremely hard to provide their students w/ a loving and caring environment and this is carelessly overlooked in some situations. In my experience, (teaching in some capacity for over 10 yrs. ) I have yet to meet a teacher who would allow such atrocities, as mentioned, to take place within their classrooms. Most give a tremendous amount of their time and energy ensuring their students meet the standards and proficiencies set forth by the district. Additionally, they are not just educators, they are nurses, counselors, friends, confidants, mentors, etc. to the multitude of children who pass through their classroom door. All the while, we are underpaid and often times not appreciated for all the hard work and time put into loving each and every one of our students. I for one WOULD NEVER allow another student to make another upset, cry, or feel unsafe in my classroom. It would not be acceptable nor tolerated.

As a mother, if this were happening to my son or daughter, I would speak to the teacher, parent and principal to rectify the situation while doing everything in my power to provide my child w/ the necessary skills to deal with jerk offs. I am probably alone on this issue and I am in no way saying it is acceptable, it is just my two cents on the topic.

Also, to the OP, have you talked to the girl's mother? Was that helpful? Could it be helpful? Would she be receptive to hearing the hard facts that her child is being unkind? I am not sure of your relationship with this person so I could be way off base here. Could you "shadow" your daughter one day? Again, not sure if this is an option.

Again, to each their own. I am not condemning the choice to home school, but there are a million things that are great about public/private schools and to make the assumption or comment that school is a horrible place for children is shortsighted and imo.

Last edited by Javamama; 08-23-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Javamama is offline   Reply With Quote