Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breastfeeding and chem preg

Okay....talk me off a ledge. I had a chemical pregnancy last month. Made it to about 4 1/2 weeks and then lost the pregnancy. My lo nurses about 4 times a day. Could this much nursing cause a pregnancy not to implant? I have done research and there is conflicting reports. I am at a loss what to do....

Advertisement

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
carlaross
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding and chem preg

I'm so sorry for your loss mama.

I say yes. It varies from woman to woman. Some women can conceive easily just weeks after birth even while breastfeeding. Some women are affected by even one nursing session a day.
carlaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not necessarily... Do you happen to keep a chart?

How long ago did your AF return? It is common for the first few postpartum cycles to have a short luteal phase (time between AF and next cycle), meaning your uterus doesn't build up enough lining to support an embryo before the next AF. With more cycles, this will normalize for most people. You're not doing anything wrong by nursing, but your body is still in the process of returning to peak fertility.

Remember also that it is not uncommon for couples to TTC for 6 months or more before being able to sustain a pregnancy.

So... relax, enjoy nursing your LO, and don't panic for now.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Like a PP, I think it really varies from woman to woman. In general, though, I would say the answer is no. Chemical pregnancies and very early miscarriages are extremely common--a lot of the time, women don't even know they happen. Not that that takes away from the sadness of your experience, but it is very, very common.

My DD was 22 months old when I got pregnant again and nursing at least 6 times in 24 hours. She's still nursing about 3 times in 24 hours.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had af for about a year now. I was one of those lucky ones that even though i ebf, i got my first ppaf when he was 3 months old. I used opks last month and o'd on cd 16 and then i didn't start bleeding until cd 32. I am normally have 28-29 day cycles. I am wondering now if i should just natural progesterone cream during the 2ww and see if that helps. Either continuing into pregnancy or stopping when af shows.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
taylor's mom
Registered Users

having had 3 consecutive missed miscarriages (all around 11wks after seeing a heartbeat at least once) i discussed this extensively with my midwife. it didn't help that one of the dr's in the practice had told me after loss #2 that it was my fault for still bfing). my midwife said that there is nothing that indicates that bfing contributes to a miscarriage. she also gave me a study done by midwives on the use of B6 to both aid in conception as well as possibly helping to avoid miscarriage. i will never know for sure if that helped, but the 2 pregnancies i had after the losses were textbook with noproblems at all. but no, i do not believe that bfing causes a loss. i nursed thru this last pg (with an ob who was super supportive of nursing during pg/tandem nursing no less!) and my lo nursed every 2 hours round the clock till around 20wks when my supply tanked. even after that, he nursed multiple times a day.
i'm so very sorry for your loss mama!
taylor's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That makes me feel better. Could you tell me more about the b6? How many mg? And did you take it for your full cycle or just after o'ing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor's mom View Post
having had 3 consecutive missed miscarriages (all around 11wks after seeing a heartbeat at least once) i discussed this extensively with my midwife. it didn't help that one of the dr's in the practice had told me after loss #2 that it was my fault for still bfing). my midwife said that there is nothing that indicates that bfing contributes to a miscarriage. she also gave me a study done by midwives on the use of B6 to both aid in conception as well as possibly helping to avoid miscarriage. i will never know for sure if that helped, but the 2 pregnancies i had after the losses were textbook with noproblems at all. but no, i do not believe that bfing causes a loss. i nursed thru this last pg (with an ob who was super supportive of nursing during pg/tandem nursing no less!) and my lo nursed every 2 hours round the clock till around 20wks when my supply tanked. even after that, he nursed multiple times a day.
i'm so very sorry for your loss mama!