View Poll Results: Bucket or convertable for a newborn
Bucket infant seat 79 60.77%
Convertable 42 32.31%
Undecided 9 6.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #91
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Are you planning on using a bucket or convertable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
Plus, it's unsafe to prop the bucket on the cart, so I'd need to put the bucket IN the cart (yes, I know some people prop the bucket on the cart all the time, but it seems unsafe to me) which eats up all of the grocery space.
It IS unsafe, and I know my car seat manual specifically states not to do so!

Advertisement

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #92
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite

Can the 2-year-old sit in the shopping cart? Do you need to bring the diaper bag into the grocery store? I personally can't imagine wrangling a 2-year-old and carrying an 8-lb baby in a 25-lb bucket from the car to the store. Plus, it's unsafe to prop the bucket on the cart, so I'd need to put the bucket IN the cart (yes, I know some people prop the bucket on the cart all the time, but it seems unsafe to me) which eats up all of the grocery space.

I'm thinking about buying a cheapo used bucket seat off CL to put on my stroller and bring into restaurants for a "travel bassinet" until baby is old enough to sit up in a stroller/bumbo. (I wouldn't use it as a carseat, so it wouldn't matter if it was expired or had been in an accident.)
I agree with this, especially as someone who didn't realize that it wasn't safe until my son was dumped backwards onto his head in the buggy.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #93
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1 & Thing2 View Post
I agree with this, especially as someone who didn't realize that it wasn't safe until my son was dumped backwards onto his head in the buggy.
>_< Ouch! I hope he was okay!

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #94
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thing1 & Thing2 View Post
Yep, grocery carts in general are unsafe. I was 3 and riding in the baby seat part when my dad went over a little curve by accident and the cart tipped. I broke my femur and was in 2 body casts for the entire summer! So glad I don't remember that!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #95
Dory
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squig'sMumMum View Post
>_< Ouch! I hope he was okay!
He had a red forehead and I felt like the worst mother in the universe. We were using a convertible at the time and his infant seat was in the car for trips to the store. I put it on the seat part of the cart, put him in it, and when I turned to get my daughter he stretched his legs and arms out, and it flipped into the back of the cart. Since the buggy was broken (the seat part for older kids would not stay shut) I couldn't pick the seat off of him. But since I hadn't buckled him into it yet, I got him out from under it and held him and cried in the car with him. Yeah, BIG FAIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabarnes View Post
Yep, grocery carts in general are unsafe. I was 3 and riding in the baby seat part when my dad went over a little curve by accident and the cart tipped. I broke my femur and was in 2 body casts for the entire summer! So glad I don't remember that!
Oh my gosh! That must have been terrible!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #96
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I'm am a die-hard babywearer and we never used our buckets except when bringing the baby into the house when we got home from town. I never ever ever carried the baby in it otherwise. I've always used slings or wraps for my babies for everywhere except in the car (even at home).

So this time around, I decided to go the convertible route. Since I wasn't going to be carrying the baby in a bucket it seemed silly to get one when I could get a birth-to-booster convertible for the same price. I got a True Fit Premier which is supposed to be good for newbs; they come with a newborn/infant insert that is really plush. LOVE the carseat, got another one for my almost-5yo too. They are really nice seats.

But. If I had to do it again, I'd get the bucket to start with. Nothing fits a newborn like a bucket (I've always used Graco Snugride). I didn't really like how Lola fit in her True Fit until she was around 2 weeks old; for reference, she was born at 7 lbs and by two weeks was almost 10 lbs, I think.

And, something I didn't think about is the HEAT. I'm in Oklahoma and this has been a horrendously hot summer for us and I would love to be able to buckle my newborn into a carseat that isn't scalding hot. If I had a bucket I could keep it in the nice cool house and not have that problem.

And really, buckets last my petite kids forever so I could have gotten a lot of use out of a new one. Now that she's 2.5 months old I can't justify getting one, though.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #97
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite View Post
Plus, it's unsafe to prop the bucket on the cart, so I'd need to put the bucket IN the cart (yes, I know some people prop the bucket on the cart all the time, but it seems unsafe to me) which eats up all of the grocery space.
Our bucket locks right into the cart. Not sure how anyone else's works

The exact same hooks that hook the bucket into the base lock right on the cart so other than the entire cart tipping over which is HIGHLY unlikely (though I understand it CAN happen), this is just not a big issue for us. I guess if the cart was VERY light weight and the baby and bucket tilted the cart forward I would be concerned but again that is just not an issue with any carts I have used.

I have seen some carts where the seat cannot lock though. In which case, we seat the bucket inside the basket.

We have a bucket and use it for its convenience, but I love to BW when the kids are little and before it gets hot. So more often than not when they are under 3mos, they are worn.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #98
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCgirl_05 View Post
If you bought it from someone you know and trust that's fine. But I definitely wouldn't buy from a stranger like on CL kwim? An inspector would not be able to tell if it had been in an accident any more than you or I could. Just had to say something because a lot of people don't know even that they need to be replaced after an accident!
I didn't know her, but most mamas I have met on our local Freecycle are pretty trustworthy moms. She just could no longer use it and she wanted to give it to someone who could. No other special reason.

Our local waste management companies take old car seats for recycling. Most of us here just drop them off there when they are no longer of any use. There isn't a need to get rid of it and potentially injure someone else.

But I guess that is a comfort-level anyone would have to develop about the people and networks in their area. KWIM?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #99
Dory
Registered Users
seller
seller

Actually, it is likely that that click that you hear is the same mechanism used in a stroller, not the base. It is possible I guess, because I think there's one brand that doesn't warn against it, but I don't remember which.
And it only clicks at one point, either the front or the back. So it makes that spot a hinge it it tips the other way.

ETA by warn against it, I mean almost all tell you not to try to attach it to anything other than its base or approved stroller, in the owner's manual.

Last edited by Dory; 08-13-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #100
Dory
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama

I didn't know her, but most mamas I have met on our local Freecycle are pretty trustworthy moms. She just could no longer use it and she wanted to give it to someone who could. No other special reason.

Our local waste management companies take old car seats for recycling. Most of us here just drop them off there when they are no longer of any use. There isn't a need to get rid of it and potentially injure someone else.

But I guess that is a comfort-level anyone would have to develop about the people and networks in their area. KWIM?
Yeah, I don't know of many places exempt from people who lie. And even if someone isn't lying, who's to say they don't think anything of the fact that the seat might have been dropped down a flight of stairs, bought second hand by them, straps washed in the washing machine, or any other practice that isn't safe, but they have no problem with. I dunno, it's just a chance I'd rather not take. And I'm as cheap as they come, that's why I'm skipping the infant seat.