Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #21
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is your late 20s to early 30s too old to have a child?

In my opinion late 20s is still young. 30s is a nice age to have kids. You have much more patience than you do when younger.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #22
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely not too old. I had my first a few months shy of 30 and my second at 34. I was married at 25. When going to my older child's school events, I don't feel old as many of the parents are within a couple of years in age to us either way. How I'll feel when my younger one starts school remains to be seen.

I do understand where you're coming from, though. DH comes from a similar area as you're describing. Two of his three sisters were married by 20, two had kids before age 25, and his 18-year-old niece is engaged--and her dad is thrilled. (Her mom and stepdad are another story.) Becoming a mother in late teens to early 20s doesn't get much attention there. I seemed like an old maid when I went to visit his family while we were dating.
coquelicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineMama View Post
I thought I misread this! must be the area you live in because that age is completely the norm for literally every person I know! I was talking to a friend who accidentally got pregnant a month after she got married at 22 and she and her husband struggled for a long time that they didn't get to backpack Europe or live abroad or any of the other "normal" things people do in their 20s. Statistically, your child will be better off for having older parents (less poverty, more stability, etc) and worries about having biological troubles don't start for most people until after 35 (at the earliest)
That's the thing, though. I really don't want to wait until I'm 35 to have kids. If I had to choose between having a kid at 30 vs. having a kid at 35, I'd definitely choose 30. However, I really hope to have my first child while I'm still in my 20s.

Besides, I have already traveled to Europe, so that's one thing already marked off my bucket list. And I'm at the point in my life where partying all night long just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I'm the kind of person who likes to plan ahead, and I want to do whatever it takes to properly prepare myself for having kids.
Interested in
HollyNightbonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #24
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
Definitely not too old. I had my first a few months shy of 30 and my second at 34. I was married at 25. When going to my older child's school events, I don't feel old as many of the parents are within a couple of years in age to us either way. How I'll feel when my younger one starts school remains to be seen.

I do understand where you're coming from, though. DH comes from a similar area as you're describing. Two of his three sisters were married by 20, two had kids before age 25, and his 18-year-old niece is engaged--and her dad is thrilled. (Her mom and stepdad are another story.) Becoming a mother in late teens to early 20s doesn't get much attention there. I seemed like an old maid when I went to visit his family while we were dating.
Hmm . . . is your hubby an Okie like me? Also, his sisters seem to be just like the majority of the women around here.
Interested in
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #25
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is your late 20s to early 30s too old to have a child?

No, he's from KY, but it's a more rural, farming area that is probably pretty similar to OK. I'm also from KY but a more urban area where people don't think twice of women getting married later, although there are still plenty there who get married and have kids young. Strangely enough, I'm bucking the trend by getting married and having kids YOUNGER than my mom did (she was 28 and 38, respectively). Back in the 60s and 70s, she was REALLY an anomaly!

Last edited by coquelicot; 02-01-2016 at 07:02 PM.
coquelicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #26
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coquelicot View Post
No, he's from KY, but it's a more rural, farming area that is probably pretty similar to OK. I'm also from KY but a more urban area where people don't think twice of women getting married later, although there are still plenty there who get married and have kids young. Strangely enough, I'm bucking the trend by getting married and having kids YOUNGER than my mom did (she was 28 and 38, respectively). Back in the 60s and 70s, she was REALLY an anomaly!
My own mom was around 21-22 or so years old around the time of her first marriage, but she wound up divorced about 2 years later. Then she married my dad when she was roughly around my age (25 going on 26), but that marriage ended in divorce too. I was already 5 at the time their divorce was finalized. They waited almost an entire decade after their courthouse elopement to have kids. That means that my mom got pregnant with her oldest child (me) when she was 34 and gave birth at 35. My parents were one of those couples who didn't want kids at first but later changed their minds once they got older.

I was already 24 years old by the time I married by husband, so while I may not be bucking the trend by getting married younger than my mom did, I may wind up bucking the trend by having kids younger, mainly because I'm not really willing to wait as long as she did to have me and my baby sister.
Interested in
Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #27
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will be welcoming our 6th child right before my 30th birthday and I still feel young! I was 20 when our first was born and just kept on going ever since lol. When people just see me alone without my crew they assume its my first since late 20s/early 30s is the norm around here to be a new "young" mom. There are actually a ton of new moms ive been meeting lately who are over 40 in our area and its just so cool to me that as women we have that many fertile years. We see ourselves having more, so we will be in our 30s if we do have more. Think of it this way, even if you had your first at 30 you still have so many years after that if you wanted more than 1 child. You are a youngin' though for sure, don't stress
Married to the love of my life and lucky momma to our 6 kids plus #7 on the way due 8/2018!

Last edited by mommadeeof4+; 02-05-2016 at 08:26 PM.
mommadeeof4+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #28
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommadeeof4+ View Post
Think of it this way, even if you had your first at 30 you still have so many years after that if you wanted more than 1 child. You are a youngin' though for sure, don't stress
You have no idea how much better this makes me feel!
Interested in
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #29
Kterrellny
Registered Users

I had my first at 34 and my second at 39. Pretty average for most of my friends, many of whom waited till their early 40s! Fertility starts to decline after 35 for most women, though.
Kterrellny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:03 AM   #30
2+2macht4
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I was 27 with our first and 29 with our second