Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Tyuhea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
BM stash replacement?

What do you do when you have enough BM stash in the freezer? I started building my stash before going to work, between 2 to 4 oz a day and now my freezer is full, I use glass only for food and therefore using lifefactory bottles and mason jars for the breast milk in the freezer. I keep pumping extra 4 oz a day but do not have room in the freezer to store it. Do you throw away older milk and replace it with fresh pumped?

Advertisement

Tyuhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
EmmettAndBeansMomma
Registered Users

Re: BM stash replacement?

I'd donate it to someone (the older stuff). People are always looking through eats on feet's and human milk for human babies or even most hospitals will take it for preemies in the nicu
EmmettAndBeansMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are you "cycling" the stash? I put thawed bm in bottles (oldest in freezer) on Monday. The milk i pump onFri gets frozen. That way nothing in the freezer is too old
How old is LO? If your stash is big enough, would you feel comfortable dropping a pump (omg i would be so happy)? Or dropping one pump every other day or something?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Tyuhea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My LO is only 11 weeks, so dropping a pump is not an option I started my stash when he was 3 weeks because I had to return to work when he was 7 weeks. I did not think about "cycling". Everything I pump on Thursdays go to the freezer because I work Fridays from home. So Friday thru Sunday I nurse him and only pump once a day in the morning which makes enough for him for Monday. Therefore so far I have not been using any milk from the freezer.
I guess I could donate older milk but I donot know how it works.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

HMBANA milk centers will give you all the instructions, they always need new mamas to donate to their NICU program. But they have very stringent handling requirements that you may not have been following so far.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
Tyuhea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I will look for it. Another advice was given it to get a deep freezer where BM can last up to year and so I could use the milk after I am done pumping. I do not like pumping so much and it makes my day at work almost two hours longer to make up the time i spend for pumping :/