Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best warmer to scald before freezing?

I am new to pumping and bottle feeding. My daughter will turn 3 months old next week and it also happens to be when I go back to work.
I've been trying to get my daughter to drink a bottle so I can have some time away and in preparation for going to the sitter's while I work. It has been met with mixed results. (Which is deja vu because my son never took a bottle so I didn't get out much. I also didn't have to work then so it was fine.) Normally I give fresh milk in a bottle and she usually drinks those. Anything past fresh, whether refrigerated and warmed or previously frozen, thawed and heated, hasn't always been received well. Which led me to the possibility of high lipaise. I know that scalding the milk prevents the sour taste, so I plan to do that after every pumping session that isn't immediately consumed.
Since I have to go back to work, I will likely have to scald at work and I've read about the bottle warmer technique. My question to you all is, if you use a warmer, which one is it and what do you like and dislike about it?
And as a side note, does anyone know where I can look online to see if there is a local milk bank? I have a small freezer stash and if I do have high lipaise, I won't be able to use it.
Thanks in advance,
Kim

Advertisement

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Re: Best warmer to scald before freezing?

I've just started scalding my milk and I've been using this bottle warmer: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

It's the warmer I already had. I just fill the water measurer it comes with twice and put that in, then I use a jam jar to put the milk in while it's scalding. I've only done about 2 oz at a time, but that takes around 2-4 minutes. The warmer shuts off once the water is boiled off, but don't let it go that long, lol.

To be honest I haven't given my baby any of the milk yet (I'm trying to build of a freezer stash).
apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
Stina25
Registered Users
seller

Why do you need to scald it?
Stina25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
sprior
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah I have the same question, won't you be killing off some of the happy intangibles with a scald? I have no idea about this, just curious. I've never heard of scalding milk before freezing it before.
sprior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina25 View Post
Why do you need to scald it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprior View Post
yeah I have the same question, won't you be killing off some of the happy intangibles with a scald? I have no idea about this, just curious. I've never heard of scalding milk before freezing it before.

Scalding is recommended for breast milk with high levels of lipase; the taste and smell changes over time when kept in frozen storage.
http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...cessive-Lipase

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote