Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Justyou2011
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pumping Schedule?

What are the top tips for pumping and finding time to do so?
I have three kids and one is special needs.
My almost 6 month old is slow at gaining and is horrible at eating from a bottle and the breast. I have to find a way to keep my supply up and it's been a challenge. I have a loaner pump right now that's been a tremendous help. I'm struggling with if it's worth it to keep trying to breastfeed.

Advice?!

Advertisement

Justyou2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
rrondy
Registered Users

Re: Pumping Schedule?

slightly different circumstances but when I went back to work I was really worried about my supply. I have been back for almost 4 months now and for me pumping on a schedule has definitely helped maintain my supply. Even on the random days when I have a meeting run long and I don't pump at my normal time I notice a difference. I think my body has just gotten used to produce milk on that schedule.

Whether to keep breastfeeding is something you got to decide about what works best for you and your baby. My little one decided he didn't like bottles after starting day care so I think I will be breastfeeding until he is on solids 100% but that is what works for us. I have a friend whose little one never took to nursing so they do a combination of breast milk and formula all from bottles.

Hope that helps.
rrondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
shanisep
Registered Users
seller

So I'm guessing from your post that you are breastfeeding then pumping to empty the breasts and get any extra out? That definitely takes alot of discipline and some spare time neither of which I have lol! I've breastfed my last 4 kiddos for 2 yrs each and always have a supply that is just barely not enough and, as a result, babies that gain weight slowly. I've tried pumping to build supply but, to be honest, pumping makes me CRAZY! With each of them I have had to supplement a few ounces a day with formula. And while i initially felt guilty or like a failure for supplementing, it really was the right choice for me. My 5 month old daughter receives 6 ounces of supplement a day through a supplemental nursing system. She refuses to take a bottle.
I think if you see breastfeeding as an all-or-nothing thing that it adds alot of unnecessary stress. In my opinion, you don't have to give up breastfeeding just because you can't pump! Supplement your baby and relax and enjoy being a mother. Maybe it would help your baby to supplement using the nursing system if he/she can't go back and forth between bottle and breast well.
Another thought is that, since your baby is almost 6 months old, you can start solids and just breastfeed without supplementing or pumping. All of my kiddos were able to drop the formula supplements and just nurse once we started solids.
I'm not sure if my rambling helped at all. But I do know the stress you feel and, if you're like me, the guilt too. Find something easy that works for you and still provides your baby with the food he/she needs. Be encouraged
shanisep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanisep View Post
I think if you see breastfeeding as an all-or-nothing thing that it adds alot of unnecessary stress. In my opinion, you don't have to give up breastfeeding just because you can't pump! Supplement your baby and relax and enjoy being a mother. Maybe it would help your baby to supplement using the nursing system if he/she can't go back and forth between bottle and breast well.
Very good point.

While I don't have any supply issues so can't help there, I am a bit of an obsessive pumper. If you are trying to pump to build your supply in a time efficient way, the best way to do it, in my humble opinion, is while you feed the baby. Doing this has actually caused me to have some oversupply issues because it has built my supply up so much. Three times a day I put my boppy on U-shaped around the side that I am going to nurse on and then hook my pump up on the other side. I use a Rumina pumping bra which allows me to breastfeed on one side and hands free pump on the other. I also use Pumpin Pal flanges which allow you to lean back while nursing without all the milk flowing out backwards. When I was building my supply I would let the baby finish on one side and then take the pump off the other side and let him nurse for awhile on that side. Doing this really increased my supply. I generally freeze about 16 ounces a day now while exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old 18 pounder.

I wanted to offer this as a tip, but it may not work for you if you have supply issues already. In that case, I second Shanisep's advice... A few ounces of formula a day is totally no big deal and you could get all the benefits of breastfeeding while de-stressing about baby's weight gain a bit. Nothing is more stressful than worrying about our babies!

Good luck mama... whatever you decide will be ok .

Last edited by gabby's mom; 04-11-2017 at 04:48 PM.
gabby's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
RedSanya
Registered Users

Thank you for this thread! I have been struggling with pumping enough to build my stash for the day when baby starts daycare and I start part-time work. After the baby started on some solids, my supply really dropped.

I searched a lot online and through different forums, and I found the most helpful are these:
Get baby on the boob more often, even if its only a short time, this will help production.
Get into a pumping schedule. I was reading how many women are pumping 3-5 times a day (!!) which I cannot do, but at least pumping once a day has helped. (that said, i was just away visiting family, and totally didnt pump!!)
Drink a LOT of water, get rest, and eat very healthy. Some lactogenic foods that help are barley, oatmeal, dark greens, good fats, etc. (I think one website i saw is mother-food.com), and the teas with fennel, raspberry leaf...
And ditto about keeping it low-stress!
RedSanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #6
RedSanya
Registered Users

Another resource I found online:
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ping_decrease/
In general I really like the kellymom website for a lot of parenting and breastfeeding issues.
RedSanya is offline   Reply With Quote