Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
RIMamaBear
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding Advice (bottles)

I really liked the Target brand milk bags and the Medela pump in style with generic evenflow bottles. Those tommy tippee things never felt right for me

Advertisement

RIMamaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
madmollyann
Registered Users
seller

Most of what I pumped one day went into bottles for the next day. I only used 1, rarely 2 storage bags each weekday, working full time. I overbought storage bags because I had the idea that I had to store everything in them, when in reality, it was just any surplus milk. We always had double the bottles we needed so each evening, we could wash today's and fill tomorrow's.
madmollyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #13
mrseilar89
Registered Users

Playtex bottles are great with newborn nipples. Makes it easier for baby to eat slower, won't overheat as much and less air, so less gas and spit up. I use a medela hand pump and it does ok. Soon will be investing in an electric but still researching. I pump and breastfeed.
mrseilar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #14
special.k.marie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncegrl View Post
Oh and there is a kit you can buy that connects to your pump that allows you to pump directly into drop in liners and it comes with lids so you can store your breastmilk right in the drop in liners.

I would not recommend using the drop in liners for storing breastmilk long term, and definitely not for freezing. There is a higher risk of fat loss and waste due to breakage and spilling. However, if you just intend to use them for feeding directly after pumping, I don't see why they wouldn't work.
Although, if I am not mistaken, the actual "breastmilk storage kit" has been discontinued by Playtex.

Looking for new earrings? Visit my etsy shop and use code DIAPERSWAPPERS20 for 20% off!
SPARKLY STRANDS
special.k.marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
tinytotmama
Registered Users

I used a Medela Freestyle with baby 1 and HATED IT. I couldn't get enough suction ever. Sold it and got a Pump in Style Advance for baby 2, liked it a lot more, worked best when plugged into outlet. Best milk storage bags I've found were the Honeysuckle Bags, They didn't leak, froze well, and were easy to pour from bag to bottle. I'm not familiar with the bottles you were gifted, but I've used Dr. Browns, Pura and the Medela. I'm looking to switch to all glass or stainless with my twins I'm expecting.
tinytotmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
Lmans77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmollyann View Post
Most of what I pumped one day went into bottles for the next day. I only used 1, rarely 2 storage bags each weekday, working full time. I overbought storage bags because I had the idea that I had to store everything in them, when in reality, it was just any surplus milk. We always had double the bottles we needed so each evening, we could wash today's and fill tomorrow's.
I never EP'd but I did pump for work. Had a rotating stash of bottles. Baby and I were fine with cheap Gerber or Evenflo bottles. Pump into bottle and then use for the next day by just attaching nipple and ring. Baby's used bottles got washed and pumped into. Just keep rotating. So much easier than extra expense and pouring of bags and whatnot. Only stored any surplus milk in bags.
If you don't like the cheap bottle nipples, then just replace with a better nipple like Dr Brown's.
Lmans77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
mambear
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used the Medela pump in style advanced and it worked great for portability. I used the Lansinoh bags for storage and loved how I could lay them flat in the freezer. Our son was fine with the Medela bottles that came with the pump, but then we had to switch due to his latch on them. We are currently using the Lansinoh Momma bottles and love them.
mambear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
elienai
Registered Users
Formerly: Desert_Rose
seller
seller

I've used a Medela Pump In Style before but hated it. The tubing is not sealed and collects moisture. Not very sanitary. I use an Ameda Purely Yours and love it! Closed tubing system, has adapters so you can pump directly into bags, you can get flanges in bigger sizes.

My baby is having trouble nursing and fights and thrashes around every time I nurse her. I switched her to the old original style Playtex Nursers with the slow flow NaturaLatch silicone nipple. She has no problems now. I'm pumping for her full time at the moment. Our insurance provides an Ameda pump and storage bags so I'm using the Ameda storage bags to store the milk in the fridge until she's ready to use that bag of milk.

Not sure if it's just my babies or what (I have 10 children) but the ones who've had to use bottles have always done better with the Platyex Original Nursers with the NaturaLatch silicone nipple.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
elienai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #19
Phiae01
Registered Users

I have a Sepectra pump and use the Kiinde system. My DS really likes the Kiinde nipples, but you need to be aware that they come with 3 flow speed options. When he was little we gave him the slow flow nipple and it was the wrong thing to do. Newborns need the medium or fast flow because they do not have a very strong suck. Once we figured this out it was much better. The other thing to know about the kiinde nipples is that they are indeed like breasts, the baby must massage the nipple to get the milk out. This means that you need to hold the bottle at a much lower angle than you would with other kinds of bottles. Just make sure the end of the nipple hits the soft pallet on the top of the baby's mouth. He/she will automatically start sucking if you touch that spot with the nipple.
Phiae01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #20
Rachelthemom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaofScotts View Post
Which pump is best?
I had a Medela - I recommend all their products. The pumping power was easy to adjust and I didn't find it painful at all. All the components were easy to use and easy to find.
I had an Avent hand pump, and it ended up being so painful to use that I bought a Medela one. It was so much easier and more comfortable.
Rachelthemom is offline   Reply With Quote