Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

Seriously! How do you do this???

I had my 36 weeker 11 days ago. I have been pumping and I have a good supply. About 5 oz each pumping session and hes only drinking 2.5. I pump every two hours. I have been trying to get him to breastfeed but he will not do it. I know he is early and it still may come but seriously I cant stand pumping. My boobs hurt all the time at this point. I dont have any sores or anything they just have this constant mild aching. I started to feel like I had a plugged duct but that seems to have gotten better. I dont know that I fully empty my breasts very often. It takes me about 30+ mins to do that but than my nipples hurt after that long. I usually pump 15-20 min. I have been trying to cut back to closer to 15 in hopes that would make them less sore but its not making a differeance. So how do you manage it???? I cant stand the bottles and pump supply washing in addition to the time it takes to actually feed baby and another 20 mins to pump. I never sleep. I do all this every two hours and than by the time I am done I feel like I am just starting over again. Im lucky if I get an hour straight of sleep!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seriously! How do you do this???

I'm mostly just popping in to offer a I don't have much experience with pumping. Way to go with all this extra effort and work to get breastmilk into your little one, during all the craziness that comes with the postpartum period. You are a trooper!
The only thing I thought as I read your post is that you might need a better pump. I don't know what you're using, but if I'm not mistaken, the better pumps will get more milk in a shorter time with less pain. Also, can you snuggle with your baby while you pump? That might get a better faster let down, and speed the process up a bit.
All the best - I really hope it gets easier soon!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

When I exclusively pumped for my first, I just pumped every 3 hours for 15 min each session. I had a huge supply back then, so that was plenty to maintain my milk supply and was way more than she ate. I was also told by a lactation consultant that if I pump more frequently during the day, I can pump less at night. If you're pumping every 2 hours during the day, maybe you can just pump once at night and get more sleep. You need to sleep.

I used to feed her the previous pumped bottle, then pump her next bottle. She never did learn to latch on, but I think if I knew then what I know now, I could have gotten her to do it. Do you have an LC helping you?

My breasts are always sore/achy and a bit swollen for the first 2 weeks post partum. It hurts to lay on my stomach. In my case, this is hormones and excess fluid leftover from the pregnancy/birth. It gets better. No signs of mastitis? No fever, red streaks, etc?

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I hate pumping too. A few possible solutions, but mostly just hugs. Turn the pump down if you can. I always got the most milk at a higher power, but it was much easier as far as soreness goes if I turned it down. If you have a supply built up then give yourself a break - every 3 hours should be fine, I would even go 4 if you are sore. I used a nip cream in between and that was helpful. As far as the little one, have you tried pumping one side and letting him try to nurse on the other? The letdown is easier and he can smell the milk. Sometimes it supercharges them into figuring it out.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used lanolin on my nips while pumping. This helped me a lot.

I hated pumping too... I did it for the first 5 months (build a stash the first 3 months and then while working 12 hour shifts the next two). My boobs hated it and never emptied all the way either. I got to use a hospital grade pump when I had to take my mom to the emergency room and it was better as far as pulling the milk out. Maybe you could rent one to see if it's better??

Hugs... It stinks. The things we do for our babies!
Old 06-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #6
bbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped exclusively for my first son. He had a moderate tongue tie and we didnt realize until it was too late. He was attached to the bottle and fought breast feeding. I read that drinking a small can of pineapple juice can help inflammation! Also, try turning down the suction on your pump? Or your flanges might not be the right size! Lansinoh also makes gel pads that you can keep in the fridge and put on your nipples after pumping!
bbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller

I am using the double medela pump I got through my insurance. I think its the in style. I use it on the lowest setting. It hurts the most during the first rapid session that stimulates let down. When we were at the hospital I used an ameda hospital grade pump. I honestly don't see a difference. I have used laniilon but its not the skin it feels more like its bruised.

I got him to latch on each breast at one session today. I tried again two hours later and he screamed and pulled away. I can't figure out what is different. It is just so frustrating.

To add to the mess he is not gaining weight like he should and yesterday he started projectile vomiting because I upped him from 1.5oz to 2.5oz per the Dr. I didn't know feeding a baby could be so stressful.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

Hugs to you! I have found that laying down and side nursing helps us. Baby is more relaxed that way. I always take my babies to the chiropract
Titus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

Chiropractor decently soon after birth. My daughter c
Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

Lol keep hitting reply!!! My dd couldn't even lay flat at all until we had been there and he said her back was horribly out! I felt like I brought home a new baby! That said, my chiro is a family member I trust very much. I he adjusts little ones by what looks like just rubbing with 1 finger to me but whatever he does it works! Try nursing in a warm bath snuggled up! I would look for a tongue tie (even moderate can cause nursing woes). Any clicking sound when he nurses?