Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #31
hohaas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pacifiers

I'm not opposed to them at all. I really like the GumDrop pacifiers. My 1st DD took them great but she migrated to her fingers and still sucks on them at 2 1/2. Lainey doesn't really seem to care for them much but will suck on them on occasion. I hope she isn't a finger sucker too!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #32
paisleymonsoon
Registered Users

I tried to hold out as long as possible with giving her a pacifier, but she was starting to suck the skin off my finger because sucking my finger was sometimes the only thing to calm her down. Lately, she's been self-pacifying with her own hand. I hope she'll eventually wean herself from her pacifier, but I don't see any reason to keep it away from her.
paisleymonsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #33
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

do any of you think your lo would stay satisfied w/ paci if they were actually hungry? i guess i could try and nurse anyways, but last night ds went 7 hrs. It makes me nervous. It had been just 3 hours, I got up, went to change him and he fell asleep. So I put him back down and he slept for 4 more hours!

He is currently doing the same thing now, and I can't sleep. I fed him at 8, he started to wake up around 1 and I heard some gas. I gave him the paci, to let him finish:biggrin: and he went back to sleep. Now at 3 he woke up again, I got up w/ him, put paci back in his mouth, and he was almost back asleep before I even got to his room.

During the day he had been going 5-6 hours lately, sometimes 4. I can tell when he's hungry, if he has the paci and keeps spitting it out, when we put a finger to his lip he starts rooting. He didn't do that when I did that to him tonight, but that's a long time to go w/o eating!
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mrsthomas1014

Last edited by Colleen+1; 11-28-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Colleen+1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #34
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Double post...oops!
DS #1, Gavin, 9/23/10. LO #2 Edd 11/05/12! Married to my awesome dh Nathien since 10/14/06. We kicked infertility butt!

Last edited by Colleen+1; 11-28-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #35
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

Colleen-- Nope I think the paci might pacify for a few minutes at which point he might have calmed him self back to sleep but if he's truly hungry he'd let you know. My girls refuse to take the paci when they are hungry.
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #36
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller

Both of my babies were breastfed. Both of them took paci's in the hospital, course the nursed first before I ever gave them one. DS took the Avent pacifiers and was satisfied. DD had a harder time taking a paci, but she began to like them, she took the Soothie & Gumdrop pacifires (my favorite). DS took bottles when I was working, DD on the other hand would take a bottle every now and then, but wanted only me to feed her the bottle LOL.

I never wanted to be a human pacifier. I'm not fond of my babies sucking on mine or DH's fingers. There is nothing wrong with a big healthy breastfed baby, but IMO a pacifire is a good thing IF the baby will take it between feedings if they're upset about something, but aren't actually hungry.

Colleen: Like Cheli said, your baby won't use the paci to replace eating!! Plus your baby is over a month old, when many do start staying satisfied and sleeping longer. DS was almost sleeping through the night at 5 weeks old. DD on the other hand was a bit more demanding and didn't sleep through the night until she was about a year old, and then it was only occasionally.

I hate seeing kids at 2+ with a paci. My cut off is 18 months. I took DS's pacifiers away at 16 months. I took DD's at 20 months (shame on me!!) But both did very well without them and I didn't suffer, nor did they. By the time I had taken them away, both were only using them at nap and bedtime anyway, so it was pretty simple.

I hope this baby on the way takes a pacifier as well!

ACSNMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #37
Colleen+1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSNMama View Post
I hate seeing kids at 2+ with a paci. My cut off is 18 months. I took DS's pacifiers away at 16 months. I took DD's at 20 months (shame on me!!) But both did very well without them and I didn't suffer, nor did they. By the time I had taken them away, both were only using them at nap and bedtime anyway, so it was pretty simple.

I hope this baby on the way takes a pacifier as well!
I completely agree with you about older children and pacifiers! My in-laws used to just stick the pacifier in my niece's mouth when she was happily playing! It drove me crazy...and I hope they do not do that with Gavin when I'm not around- my mil is the sitter. He only wants it to sleep or if he's got a belly ache.

About 4 o'clock he finally woke up and def told me he was hungry! That is just such a new schedule, it got me nervous! Can you tell he's my first?!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #38
SupportAdoption
Registered Users
seller

We're a binky family here. My son who is adopted came with a binky in his mouth when we got him at 3 months. He's 2.5 now and he's still obsessed with it. We would LOVE to get rid of it, but it's not that simple. It's his only comfort item. He's never had a blanket, a teddy or any toy that he needs to have with him. Just his binky and so we give it to him at bedtime. It's going to be a serious battle to take it from him.

Esther loves her binky too. But it's hard to give it to her because she's a tongue thruster so she pushes it out a lot even though she doesn't mean to. She gets upset a lot when she can't keep it in her mouth.

That being said - we use only NUKs in this house! We love them. I think we should have bought stock in their parent company.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
bakugal
Registered Users
seller

Having two kids really close together... at times i needed them for sanity.
bakugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #40
rugergirl612
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 3, and only gets it at night. I've tried taking it from him but it's a nightmare. I don't know how to break him of it.
rugergirl612 is offline   Reply With Quote