Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
earena
Registered Users
seller

Anyone have kidney stones while pregnant?

I have been in pain since yesterday, I thougt I was having BH but when they lasted all night I went to the Dr today, they called this evening and I have kidney stones. She told me to drink lots of water to try to pass them by myself, if my pain gets worse then we have to do a CT scan. If I have blood in my urine to go to the ER. So now I am just waiting.... Anyone??

Advertisement

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
earena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
ggisshort
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have kidney stones while pregnant?

A friend of mine had them, but they did not know what was wrong with her. She ended up on bedrest for close to two months because of the constant pain. (((Hugs))) I hope you are able to pass them.
ggisshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
weddell
Registered Users
seller

I've had them with both pregnancies, as well as other times. Drinking water is important and is probably one of the few things you can actually do to help. Having blood in your urine is very common with kidney stones and while I'd mention it to a dr and monitor the situation, I don't know that I'd go running to the ER just for that. The stones are small and covered in crystals (minerals in your urine form crystals because there isn't enough liquid) and they scrape things up as they move which causes the bleeding. Of course these scrapes leave you very vulnerable to infections, like UTIs, and that is definitely something to watch out for. Low grade fevers or other signs of infection should be checked. The ER really can't do anything for you except give you pain meds and remove a stone that can't pass on its own. Stones that are too large won't pass on their own and may need surgery (most will pass on their own though). I'm guessing that when you dr mentioned going to the ER for blood in the urine that is what she is worried about.

The biggest complications are probably UTIs, severe pain (which can cause contractions while pregnant), and becoming dehydrated if you vomit a lot. So if these things happen, I would definitely been seen by a dr. Otherwise try to stay comfortable and drink water.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Kimanalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I currently have a stone; I had it before I got preggo, had the surgery (lithotripsy) to break up the stone, but it didn't work, and I ended up not going back in. Now, I have pain about once a month or so from the stone; its too big for me to pass, so I just drink lots of water and cranberry juice.
Kimanalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had them while pregnant with my son..We thought I had a really bad UTI, and then after a CT scan found out I had 2 stones. I was hospitalized due to the pain and them wanting to moniter the baby since all the uriter stuff irritated my uterus and I was contracting. I was 27 weeks pregnant. After a 4 day hospital stay and TONS of fluids, I didn't pass it, and was sent home with lots of pain meds. Took those for a while and then ended up not needing them.

I ended up passing one or both of them while I was in labor. Didn't even know it had happened till I heard them "pink" on the bottom of the toilet.

My pain was EXTREME though...worse then both my natural childbirths put together. Drink LOTS of fluids(including cranberry) and take a good probiotic to help ward off any infections.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
earena
Registered Users
seller

Thanks, from everything I have read I am doomed to be in pain until it either passes or after i have this baby in 4 month! I just want to be sure it won't hurt the baby.

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
earena is offline   Reply With Quote