Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #1111
Sarahmina
Registered Users
seller

Would dawn work as a surfactant to use with wahm deteregents like RNG and lulu's? Is biokleen all temp a powder or liquid? Can peroxide (non-chlorine) bleach be substituted for chlorine bleach for sanitizing?

Advertisement

Sarahmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #1112
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsNemesis View Post
I haven't read NEARLY all of this thread, but I wanted to say-I recently dyed a BG 4.0 red. In order to dye polyester/synthetics, which BG's are, you have to use a special dye AND use boiling water for an hour. I used a white 2nd to try this on, since I wasn't sure how it would hold up to the boiling. I had no issues though. I've been using it since-elastics are fine, snaps are fine, and the PUL is fine.

I will say I'd be nervous boiling Fuzzi Bunz or my generic pockets though. The PUL on them seems much much thinner and I don't know how well it would hold up to boiling.

PUL was designed to be used in high temp washings...somehow diaper makers got leary and started the whole "dont use hot water " thing.

I do know that the PUL can get kinda tacky when warm, so if anything I would think you might get it stuck to itself. I DO worry about it getting way too hot by sitting on the bottom of the pot, or on the sides without water. The water will keep things at a steady temp, but the bare metal can get wayyyyy to hot.

I test boiled all the elastics I had at one point too, to see if it did anything to it. they were all fine.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #1113
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmina View Post
Would dawn work as a surfactant to use with wahm deteregents like RNG and lulu's? Is biokleen all temp a powder or liquid? Can peroxide (non-chlorine) bleach be substituted for chlorine bleach for sanitizing?
Dawn would work, if you dont have a FLer. It is not the best detergent to use, as it has a high bubbling factor. It would be better to add a touch of regular cheap laundry detergent, as they do not bubble so much.

I dont know about biokleen, check the list in the first post, it will show you.

Non chlorine bleach is not as good as chlorine for sanitizing. It absolutely helps, but chlorine bleach is really a great sanitizer. If you have fabrics that will not tolerate chlorine, use oxy.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #1114
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Ok, look. The point of starting this thread was to be informational. And, it is not about opinions. I try to keep it factual.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.....but DS and many other forums are full of people who use their opinions as if they are facts...and they are often wrong.
I have been gathering laundry science info online for a while now and when I read your OP today, it was like having the haze lift and seeing the mountains clearly behind the LA skyline ...

No seriously, thanks for taking the time to write a concise and useful diaper laundry help page. You have even furthered this public service by answering questions and helping users troubleshoot individual problems.

I have found other laundry science resources online, but not all provide practical use and in an easily understood language. And most are not open to feedback & questions.

Here's one question I have been personally harboring.

What do you think of using household ammonia cleaner for laundry?

Yes, everytime I search "ammonia" on here all I see is ammonia stink issues. I think strong ammonia used for cleaning is an entirely different beast from the instant-ammonia-smell-when-peed-on problem.

Before going any further, ammonia+bleach=toxic fumes. Household ammonia cleaner is 5 to 10% ammonia and gives off irritating fumes as well. It is caustic (high pH) but an excellent degreaser.

For a while, I used 1 cup of ammonia and half the recommended detergent for TL laundering (regular clothing). I loved it as my clothing came out feeling very crisp, stain-free and odorless. I then got a FLoader and also successfully used it at 1/2 cup ammonia, 1/8 recommended detergent.

I slowed down on my use as I worried about the surfactants in the ammonia. All the household ammonia I could find contained surfactants but did not list what they were. Now, I only use it diluted in a spray bottle to pre-treat tough stains.

I was just wondering last night, with having to prep some new prefolds, if I could use ammonia to strip the natural oils more easily from the new diapers? Maybe 1 overnight soak in a bucket with ammonia might cut down having to repeated wash/dry by a couple of cycles?
Ferrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #1115
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ammonia in diapers is caused by bacteria reacting to the urine. So, it is a sign that your diapers are not clean.

Household ammonia, Ammonium hydroxide, is a fairly strong alkaline, which is part of the reason it works in laundry so well. It is like really strong washing soda. It is also corrosive and SUPER DUPER DANGEROUS. So, you can use it, but I would worry about regular use in a household with small children.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a5916.htm Here is a MSDS for household ammonia you can look over. Household ammonia is usually a bit more diluted, but the properties are the same.

So, you *can* use it with your cotton prefolds, it would soften them a bit too, but I would be realllly careful with a fler that you are getting adequate rinsing so that baby is not hurt.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #1116
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
So, you *can* use it with your cotton prefolds, it would soften them a bit too, but I would be realllly careful with a fler that you are getting adequate rinsing so that baby is not hurt.
Thanks. I handle the household cleaner (5-10%) ammonia only with adequate ventilation. And like most other cleaners, it's not to be left out for kids to discover.
Ferrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #1117
mummy2lolo
Registered Users
Formerly: cay***ali

Glad I found this thread as I am really struggling finding a good detergent where I live for CDing. I can get purex F&c and ecover - those two are really my only options, but they aren't very powerful. I am trying to get my grocer to bring in country save or planet. I am now gonna try adding oxiclean and washing soda as well.

I was wondering if anyone has made their own homemade detergent from a CD safe powder detergent + oxiclean + washing soda? I mean once you get the ratio right of all the ingredients, couldn't you mix them all up together to make your own custom powder? Maybe even add in some scented oils or TTO as well too?

I was seriously thinking of bring in a WAHM made CD specific detergent and it would have cost me a bundle...so happy to hear I have other options!
mummy2lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #1118
proudsahmof4
Registered Users
Formerly: proudsahmof3
seller

My Mood:

Subbing.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #1119
jsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was wondering about a WAHM formula as well. Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Carbonate, Oxygen Cleaner, Fragrance. Is this really going to clean my diapers? It seems TOO simple!

FacebookGallaryRavelry
jsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #1120
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have started using soapnuts and don't intend on switching back... I love how clean they make the clothes and diapers - everything smells so fresh
Co-owner of 'Mums & Bums' - coming soon!
Mum2Gaby&Emersyn is offline   Reply With Quote