Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #121
avasmom3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Some say yes on PUL some say no. The thing about AIO or PUL diapers is that they are usually very thin, with a thick insert, so the part that is holding the bacteria is most likely the insert. So, boil your insert, and bleach your PUL part.

from the Bum Genius website "Use 1/4 cup or 60 mL bleach in the hot wash once per month. "

So, take all your linings apart from the inserts, run the outsides in a HOT wash with a little dawn and bleach on HOT water. Then, boil all the cloth inserts.

The only risk with PUL is that it gets soft when boiling. If you get it stuck to the pot, you could de laminate it abit. I have boiled PUL, but I mostly used fitteds and inserts.

The bacteria is going to be hiding in the absorbent part of the diaper, so the PUL is unlikely to be the culprit in the first place.

But with AIOs the insert can't be removed..??? Like with BG Organics. Should I boil them or just bleach?

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #122
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had this exact problem with BG organics and used 1/4 cup bleach in my FL on my hot wash with detergent since I didn't want to mess with boiling or vinegar. Worked great!!

Oh BTW - This thread is GREAT!!! THANK YOU OP!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avasmom3 View Post
But with AIOs the insert can't be removed..??? Like with BG Organics. Should I boil them or just bleach?

Last edited by maieranne; 08-04-2010 at 11:35 AM.
maieranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #123
Ajjones510
Registered Users
seller

Ok, I am not seeing any soap/detergent recommendations that can be added to the washin soda mix. Did I just miss it? I've heard you can't use Dr. Bronners.
Ajjones510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #124
KarenCmomto4
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymae View Post
OK, this is such a great post, however I still am at a loss of what to use. I have been using tide powder. I have a FL here is my curent routine and it is NOT working my DS age 2, wont wear a diaper at night because he wakes up crying when he pees from Ammonia
rinse and spin cold/cold with nothing
normal hot wash cold rinse, Tide to 1 line
gentle cycle war/cold ( because is uses the most water )
another cold/cold rinse and spin.
We live in the country with our own well, we do have a nice working water softener. What would you do in my case? Thank you so very much.
You could also try adding water to your routine, it could be not enough water is resulting in diapers that have a urine residue. I have a FLer as well, also use powder Tide and what I do is keep an old empty detergent bottle and fill it up with hot water and then pour that straight into the detergent dispenser drawer. You can add as much water as you want that way. Doing that you could also use hot for the 2nd cycle (if you find it necessary once you've really gotten your diapers clean) as you could just add the water manually.

With all due respect, I'd personally be careful boiling your diapers. It's not only a risk for PUL but also for elastic and especially snaps (the heat can cause them to crack). Most people do it safely so it's not a HUGE risk but technically many companies will void warranties if the diapers have been boiled. A safer way to get the high heat would be to use a sanitary cycle on your washer if you have one. The temperature of the water will be pretty much the same but a lot of the risk with boiling lies with the PUL or snaps touching the edges/bottom of the pot (which are much hotter) so by using your washer you remove that risk. If you do boil them, try to keep them moving around so snaps/PUL don't rest against the bottom of the pot for a long time.

My 2 cents,
Karen.
KarenCmomto4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #125
lucymae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
Ok, If you read the posts before you, I suggest hot rinses. I know many Flers dont give you that option, so you have to turn the dial back and run hot washes over and over.

To change your regular routine:

Prewash with Vinegar, on hot.

Soft water needs less detergent, and is hard to rinse. Use Oxyclean.

Your diapers have bacteria in them....that is where the ammonia is coming from now. So....you need to get them clean to start. Changing your routine will not do anything in the long run, until we start with clean diapers.

So, you need to sanitize them. I do this by boiling them.

Big pot, lots of water, boil for 10 minutes. Do this with all your cloth, then wash the full load with a tiny squirt of dawn, on hot. Your diapers should smell when they are boiling (like a barn..kinda horsey maybe) but should smell like nothing when they come out of the washer.

Then, you can try changing your routine, to the suggestions above. You should also look at the detergent suggestions in the link in the original post, perhaps you need a different detergent for your water. Look for one that has all green in the reviews. Remember, you have soft water, so use less detergent, and a WAHM detergent is not going to be your best choice. For soft water, a commercial detergent will probably work better.

Once you have boiled them, they should be clean, and the next night, there should be no ammonia on that diaper.....

Clean or new diapers dont get ammonia.

So, try boiling them, and then altering the washes, and if you still have problems, check back.
OK I am going to do the whole boiling/sanitizing cycle this afternoon. I am thinking of going with the new Bum Genius detergent? what do you think I read through the list on pinstripes about HE detergents and am still at a loss of what to do. please help me
Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #126
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I just wanted to mention to anyone that has had issues with stinkies or rashes, you could try hydrogen peroxide in your wash. I've tried it with flats, snappiable fitteds, fleece liners, colored PUL covers and my hanging wetbag that has a cotton print on the outer. No fading or discoloration and it seems to really get the smell out of diapers. I have tried it in just quick cold cycle before running a hot wash, without any detergent and when I opened the door there was literally NO smell. This was before any hot washes or detergent!!! I use about 1/4-1/2 cup.

Oxyclean and non-chlorine bleach are just diluted forms of hydrogen peroxide with fillers. My washer adds water through the detergent cup (front loader) so I just add the peroxide through there, but if you were cautious you could add it to a pitcher of water and pour it in that way. If you have a top loader I'd let the machine fill partially with water before adding diapers. The peroxide seems to whiten and disinfect better than anything else I've tried with no residual chemical smells and no residue issues with our hard water.

P.S. This works fabulous for bath towels and any other stinky clothes with NO fading that I've noticed!
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #127
ExuberantDaffodil
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajjones510 View Post
Ok, I am not seeing any soap/detergent recommendations that can be added to the washin soda mix. Did I just miss it? I've heard you can't use Dr. Bronners.
I use Dr. Bronner's. Albeit, a small amount. But with no issues at all.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #128
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajjones510 View Post
The link to the detergents is in the first post.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #129
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenCmomto4 View Post
You could also try adding water to your routine, it could be not enough water is resulting in diapers that have a urine residue. I have a FLer as well, also use powder Tide and what I do is keep an old empty detergent bottle and fill it up with hot water and then pour that straight into the detergent dispenser drawer. You can add as much water as you want that way. Doing that you could also use hot for the 2nd cycle (if you find it necessary once you've really gotten your diapers clean) as you could just add the water manually.

With all due respect, I'd personally be careful boiling your diapers. It's not only a risk for PUL but also for elastic and especially snaps (the heat can cause them to crack). Most people do it safely so it's not a HUGE risk but technically many companies will void warranties if the diapers have been boiled. A safer way to get the high heat would be to use a sanitary cycle on your washer if you have one. The temperature of the water will be pretty much the same but a lot of the risk with boiling lies with the PUL or snaps touching the edges/bottom of the pot (which are much hotter) so by using your washer you remove that risk. If you do boil them, try to keep them moving around so snaps/PUL don't rest against the bottom of the pot for a long time.

My 2 cents,
Karen.
Yes, the risk of boiling is the pot, not the water. So, big pot, lots of water, turn the heat down so the fabric is in the water, not on the pot.

My FLer doesnt have a sanitize option, I think that is newer....if you have that, use it! Much easier.

Anyway, I boil tested elastic, and it does not hurt it. If you did it over and over and over and over, it will break it down prob, but I boiled it for an hour....and no change. (I have many brands I tested)

And, have KAM snaps, and off brands, and boiled, no probs.

I dont have BumGenius, so not sure about their PUL.

As for adding water to the FLer, yep, I do that too. Good idea.

You cannot add more than up to the seal though, or you can damage your FLer....there is a limit to how much they can hold before the interior drum will spill into the inside. There are seals inside that are not meant for constant water or pressure. Each washer is different on that though, so adding a few gallons is probably OK, just dont go nutso.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #130
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I just wanted to mention to anyone that has had issues with stinkies or rashes, you could try hydrogen peroxide in your wash. I've tried it with flats, snappiable fitteds, fleece liners, colored PUL covers and my hanging wetbag that has a cotton print on the outer. No fading or discoloration and it seems to really get the smell out of diapers. I have tried it in just quick cold cycle before running a hot wash, without any detergent and when I opened the door there was literally NO smell. This was before any hot washes or detergent!!! I use about 1/4-1/2 cup.

Oxyclean and non-chlorine bleach are just diluted forms of hydrogen peroxide with fillers. My washer adds water through the detergent cup (front loader) so I just add the peroxide through there, but if you were cautious you could add it to a pitcher of water and pour it in that way. If you have a top loader I'd let the machine fill partially with water before adding diapers. The peroxide seems to whiten and disinfect better than anything else I've tried with no residual chemical smells and no residue issues with our hard water.

P.S. This works fabulous for bath towels and any other stinky clothes with NO fading that I've noticed!

Sorry to be contrary, but oxyclean is not a diluted form of hydrogen peroxide. Oxyclean is Sodium Percarbonate, which when it hits water, turns into sodium carbonate, and hydrogen peroxide.

The stuff you buy in a bottle is a 3% solution, of hydrogen peroxide, and water. So, it is %97 water, and 3% hydrogen peroxide. So, it is pretty weak out of the bottle. This is an expensive way to get your hydrogen peroxide. Oxyclean, at $1-2/lb powdered is much cheaper.

Same stuff, plus you get washing soda too, which is good for your water.