Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #611
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

If someone were to use some bleach on some inserts how much would be needed to disinfect them? An ounce? A 1/4 Cup? ???

Advertisement

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #612
beccag
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahen View Post
If someone were to use some bleach on some inserts how much would be needed to disinfect them? An ounce? A 1/4 Cup? ???
Bum Genius Customer Service told me 1/4 cup of bleach for a full load. IMO I think it's ok to use bleach every once in awhile. I know that in the winter when I can't line dry there just is no other way to get some of the yucky poopy stains out of some of our microfiber inserts.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #613
bvholbi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
I wouldn't...I have a FL and soft water and I use a full 1/2 scoop of Country Save. I would definately do the full scoop for a TL. Country Save is really clean rinsing. I use warm rinses and I haven't had a problem with it not rinsing out of the dipes.

I also use the recommended 1/2 scoop of CS for a FL and soft water. Initially I had tons of suds - but I think it was a bunch of detergent residue. Paired with 1/2 scoop oxyclean, I have been having really good luck with clean diapers, no ammonia, & no rashes for several months. So I second PP suggestion to start with a full scoop for a TL and adjust from there.
bvholbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:41 AM   #614
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
1/4 cup would be fine. You can follow the directions on your washer...(since it really depends on the amt of water in your machine) or just follow the directions on the bleach bottle.

But, 1/4 cup is fine.

Add it in the wash cycle, and then use 1/4 cup vinegar in the rinse cycle to neutralize the bleach.

DO NOT add anything other than detergent with the bleach. Nothing.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM   #615
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i switched to tide HE and i don't have to add bleach every load now to keep stinkies down. i'm working my way down from every, to every other (on that batch, so every 3rd load) and i hope to get to less bleaching.

i think my clothes needed stronger detergent, probably with the enzymes to combat the excess protozoa in the water here........... yes, extra critters i read it on the water report filed in the city information..........
Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #616
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

so if one was to the point of using bleach on some sort of regularity, or trying Tide, which would be less harmful to the diapers (assuming no sensitivities with DS)? I dont really care too much about manufacturer recommendations because I'd rather have a diaper (inserts only really) that didn't smell like ammonia and use it for a year than stinky ones for 2.

My problem is mostly the microfiber and hemp. I got down to all cotton inserts (prefolds and flats) with some cotton AIO's and pockets. They never got much ammonia smell. Then I got curious if my routine could handle the MF and hemp and it cant because even the brand new MF softbums inserts that have been used maybe a half dozen times, are ammonia-y. I've never had rash issues.

My current routine is rinse poops with the sprayer and any mostly wet or overnight inserts until the water runs clear in the sink.
Dry pail, every other day.
warm/warm nothing wash
Hot/warm/warm with a full scoop of Country Save

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #617
fergiesgirl86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'd go with something stronger or more detergent. but that's me.

i was having issues, then i switched to Tide. I'm the same way. i'd rather have good, clean diapers for while they last than deal with nasty, stinky ones for longer. because i won't use them that whole time.

i don't know which would really do more harm. but there are diaper companies that recommend Tide or another detergent with the enzymes in it. technically the additives won't hurt the diapers, they are stuck in there and could cause sensitivities or build up. the bleach could break down the elastic faster.

but to me, it's worth a shot and build up can be gotten rid of with dish soap and lots and lots of rinsing.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #618
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Old 12-20-2010, 08:39 AM   #619
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great thread...
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #620
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
so if one was to the point of using bleach on some sort of regularity, or trying Tide, which would be less harmful to the diapers (assuming no sensitivities with DS)? I dont really care too much about manufacturer recommendations because I'd rather have a diaper (inserts only really) that didn't smell like ammonia and use it for a year than stinky ones for 2.

My problem is mostly the microfiber and hemp. I got down to all cotton inserts (prefolds and flats) with some cotton AIO's and pockets. They never got much ammonia smell. Then I got curious if my routine could handle the MF and hemp and it cant because even the brand new MF softbums inserts that have been used maybe a half dozen times, are ammonia-y. I've never had rash issues.

My current routine is rinse poops with the sprayer and any mostly wet or overnight inserts until the water runs clear in the sink.
Dry pail, every other day.
warm/warm nothing wash
Hot/warm/warm with a full scoop of Country Save
So, the problem with MF and Hemp is that they both hold on to things longer....are more absorbant, and that makes them harder to rinse. In the washing machine, they just wont let go of the waste they are holding on to, to rinse clean.

Bleach will degrade the natural fibers, hemp and cotton, but will not hurt the MF ....so it is easier to bleach the MF on a regular basis. The bleach doesnt really make the MF let go of the dirt or bacteria in the rinse cycle, it just make sure that anything that the MF is still holding on to is dead. (disinfected)

You can try some Tide, or any other detergent, or even some enzyme prewash to see if that will help. Those will not degrade or hurt your diapers at all.