Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
BlushingEwe's Avatar
Registered Users
Formerly: blueblueMummy
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,141
My Mood:
Strep B

I am positive with Strep B and the hospital is prepared to give me antibiotics during labor. I have done some looking and reading on this and all the problems it can have for the newborn if they are infected and I am really worried now.
We live 45mins away from the hospital and I am worried about my water breaking early or not making it to the hospital on time. My active labors have been as short as 2 hours and after my water breaks I tend to go straight to pushing in about 45mins.
So I am hoping another mama knows more about this and can help ease my worried mind.


Love my 4 lovelies, All half English and born in Kansas. bfeeding, cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, homeschooling, WAHM
BlushingEwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
MamaEli's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,177
My Mood:
Re: Strep B

Great article, really making me rethink the whole antibiotics thing. They gave me TERRIBLE handcramps when I had it with DD, enough to take my mind off the contractions whenever it was time for a dose. Bah.
8 years with my Hubby. Finally a SAHM to 5 yo DS and 22 month old DD and brand new DD
MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Kels5kids's Avatar
Registered Users
Formerly: Kels4kids
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southwest Virginia
Posts: 919
My Mood:
Re: Strep B

If you deliver without getting the antibiotics they can administer antibiotics to the baby but I believe there is a 10day hospital stay for the baby to evaluate him/her to make sure they are not getting the strep. I could be wrong.
Busy Mamma to Farrah-2/15/93, Andrew-5/13/97,Tyler-4/29/02,Spencer-9/22/05, & Owynn Patrick-5/19/2008
Kels5kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
joyful mother
Registered Users
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,354
Re: Strep B

To me it would seem that if water breaks then baby is out quick that any possible complications would go way down. I can really only see a problem if you had water broken for a very long time.
Crissi wife to my very best friend for 20 yrs. Momma to 3 boys and 3 girls, 7-almost 18 yrs old!
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
DivineNature's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,792
My Mood:
Re: Strep B

Okay, I tested pos with #2. They said to arrive 4 hours before delivering so I could get all the antibiotic courses. Well, my babies are born in less than 2 hours of arrival.

You have to stay for 48 hours so they can observe the baby.

My understanding is that problems only really arrise if baby is in the birth canal a long time after the water has broken (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

With baby #3 I hadn't been tested for it, yet. Again, I had to stay at the hospital for 48 hours so they could observe the baby.

My babies are never in the canal very long (the last two I pushed for about 5-10 minutes). Also, my water is always intact until I start pushing so they do not really have a chance to be in much contact of the "stuff."

There are things you can do to rid yourself of it. Yogurt, pro-biotics, washes with different things. I can't think of it all right now, but hopefully others will chime in.
Ask me how to get $25 for opening an ING savings account today!
Rachel: WAHM to Jordan (12), Kelsey (6), :wave2: Salem (3)
Check out my Thrifty Crafty Blog! Article on thrift, recipes, DIY and finances!
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Users
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,219
Re: Strep B

You also have the option of taking oral antibiotics in the last few weeks of pregnancy. Depends on if your OB/MW is ok with that route. But if you don't get 2 doses of antibiotics in during labor, they usually like to observe the baby for 48 hrs. If you are really worried about getting there in time, I would talk to your OB/MW about taking oral antibiotics, at least see if that is an option for you. I had this same issue before and understand the stress, heck, I couldn't get the nurses to put the IV in for over an hr to start the meds so I was rather annoyed when I then wasn't able to get 2 doses before she was born. I ended up with a 48 hr stay with the baby which was a pain in the rear. So if you do have to get them at the hospital with a history of quick labors, don't stop talking once you get there until someone listens to you and starts the IV.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
Phooey's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 634
My Mood:
Re: Strep B

I tested positive with #3. The IV BURNED like crazy. They were able to get the first dose through the IV, but then broke my water and thought it would take longer than it did (even when I said, "well, she should be here in about 15 minutes, then" - and she was), so they weren't able to give the second dose. I believe they just gave her a shot in the nursery, and she was fine (we stayed for 2 days, anyways...).

Phooey on strep b
Kim, WIFE to an amazing hubby, MOM to Duncan (12 - early teenager syndrome), Jensen (10 - middle child syndrome), two angels, Rowan (3 - preschooler syndrome), and Kaylen Grace (born 10/29/10 - Down syndrome).
Phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
~happy2Bamommy~'s Avatar
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 22,836
My Mood:
Re: Strep B

There are risk to the baby either way

I tested positive with my son and did the garlic clove..I begged to be re-tested and my doctor wouldn't do it.
Ended up that my son came so fast I never made it out of my hotel room so neither midwife or doctor had to worry about it

I would really look into the garlic (there are threads here about it too w/ links to other sites) Beg your doctor to re-test you.You can also take your babies temp every few hours if you skip the IV..If the temp starts increasing they can start treatment and it tends to all work out.If you get the antibiotics your baby CAN still get GBS and sometimes is immune to the antibiotics since it was exposed to them in utero.Once again this is what I have read and seen some studies on.It is NOT something i went through first hand.

Also,if it helps any women can test positive one day and a week later negative without doing anything.. GBS lives in your bowel/rectum and something as simple as not wiping quite right can transfer just enough to where you test positive from what I have understood.
For a sure-fire humdinger of a thread start one on:The Duggars,Government Assistance, Politics, Crickets,
Religion,Circumcision, Infant Ear Piercing,Spanking,Breast Milk vs Formula,Feeding kids Fast Food
/ Beans & Rice, Sniffing Butt, or Vaccinating.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
MamaJoyful's Avatar
Registered Users
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,319
My Mood:
Re: Strep B

I had GBS issues with my last pregnancy. I chose NOT to take antibiotics after much reading and prayer.

Here is what I did instead:

-Build my immunity by taking bee propolis and vitamin C. In retrospect, I would not take the propolis but just a natural sustained release Vitamin C pill instead.

-At bed time...Insert clove of garlic along with some aloe vera (because garlic is strong stuff and the aloe vera kinda helps protect the sensitive tissues) into birth canal from 38 weeks until delivery.

-In morning...DH and I both rubbed aloe vera gel with TTO on our privates to prevent any GBS growth or transfer.

-During labor we planned to use Hibicleans to clean out the birth canal just in case. It is said to be just as effective as antibiotics in cleansing the birth canal of any "germies." It can be done as soon as you know labor is "the real thing." It's just inserted using a peribottle and squeezing it into the birth canal. Then, I suppose that through the course of labor all of the the mucus and blood sorta cleanse the exit route too.

This was a hard decision to make, especially after reading all of the "what can happen" scenarios, but in the end I strongly feel it was the best one. Do some research before just deciding to take antibiotics. Your baby is meant to be colonized by all of your "good germs" at birth. They are a protection to the baby. By removing all of the good and bad with antibiotics, it can actually put your babe at risk for other issues, like e-coli infection. You have to weigh the risks/benefits. But honestly, the above plan that I described is actually probably more effective than antibiotics in preventing problems IMO. At least you're just cleaning out the birth canal with Hibicleans, whereas with antibiotics you're also affecting mamas and baby's gut too.

Hang in there and try not to worry!
Mama to our many blessings!
MamaJoyful is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.