Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Browncow
Registered Users

Anyone keep chickens

Anyone else keep chickens? I've got about 30 birds that give us meat and eggs. They're pets too unless you talk to DH.

Advertisement

Browncow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone keep chickens

I do. I currently have a Silkie, a Swedish Flower hen, a Red Star, 3 Frizzled Easter Eggers and 6 regular Easter Eggers.

In the past I've had BBS true Ameraucanas, blue Orpingtons, Blue Rocks, Mille Fleur D'Uccles, Porcelain D'Uccles, Lavender D'Uccles, SQ Silkies (Paint, BBS, White, Buff, Partridge), Showgirls, BBR OEGB, Seramas, Leghorns, Barred Rocks, RIR and bunches of barnyard mixes.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

There's usually a lot of chicken talk in the homesteading subforum.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Browncow
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
I do. I currently have a Silkie, a Swedish Flower hen, a Red Star, 3 Frizzled Easter Eggers and 6 regular Easter Eggers.

In the past I've had BBS true Ameraucanas, blue Orpingtons, Blue Rocks, Mille Fleur D'Uccles, Porcelain D'Uccles, Lavender D'Uccles, SQ Silkies (Paint, BBS, White, Buff, Partridge), Showgirls, BBR OEGB, Seramas, Leghorns, Barred Rocks, RIR and bunches of barnyard mixes.
Cool! I really like the Swedish Flower hens, they're so pretty! Maybe some day The only fancy breed I have right now are a couple of cream crested legbars. Most of the rest are mutts I hatched last spring, including a surprise olive egger from one of my easter eggers!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Browncow
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
There's usually a lot of chicken talk in the homesteading subforum.
Thanks! I'm new around here and haven't found that forum yet!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncow View Post
Cool! I really like the Swedish Flower hens, they're so pretty! Maybe some day The only fancy breed I have right now are a couple of cream crested legbars. Most of the rest are mutts I hatched last spring, including a surprise olive egger from one of my easter eggers!
I love Legbars! I forgot to list those in breeds I used to have. I had 2 pair of Crested Cream Legbars from My Pet Chicken. They were right about at the point of lay when a raccoon jimmied the run door and killed them all. I was sooooooo upset.

One day I'll get more, but I'm too busy with human babies to spare the expense.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Lindobebe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My parents have about 20 chicken wine dots, cinnamon queens, and production reds. We use the eggs and sell some they are free range chickens and so fun to watch, my Dad really likes them and even brings them inside the house at times. My son Joshua really loves them too
Lindobebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
littlegmama
Registered Users
seller

We have 22 chickens, a bunch of different kinds including a few mystery breeds (some kind of mixes I suspect). We just started getting eggs!
littlegmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have 8. 4 black jerseys giants, 3 RIR and 1 RIR rooster. We're getting 10 Icelandic chickens in the spring (9 hens, 1 rooster). We also have 6 guinea fowl, 6 geese (2 african and 4 American Buff), 4 ducks (2 khaki campbells and 2 Indian runners) and 3 grey slate turkeys (these are heritage not the ones raised for meat only). We're getting 4 Sebastipol geese http://www.metzerfarms.com/Sebastopo...e=Goose&ID=SEB and 4 to 6 more ducks probably Welsh Harlequin ducks. I love the ducks the best. They are so much fun to watch. I can sit and watch all of them but the ducks are my favorite. They are also the only ones we have just for the heck of it. Every body else has a working purpose.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My parents did. They were most definitely not pets. When we stayed in a tent in their yard I learned to detest them as well. THEY DO NOT WAIT UNTIL SUNUP TO CROW. Nope not at all. They loved to stand right next to our tent and crow around 3 in the morning. Yes, we were living in said tent for around 6 months. That was not a fun way to wake in the early morning hours. Especially not with an infant. If I could have caught them my parents would have been short a few roosters.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote