Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Crates for dogs

I have a few related questions.

1. Do you use a crate for your dog, and why?

2. Has anyone on here had a spouse who was so resistant to the idea that they didn't even want to try it, and what were their reasons if so?

Someone suggested I use a crate for mine even though I said I already use a baby gate sometimes. My husband thinks that should be enough (that, or putting our dog on the deck.) It's not like he needs to go there all the time or anything. So he didn't really see the point of using a crate or having an "ugly cage" in the house. I saw it differently. I didn't care so much that it looked ugly if it made my life easier because it just doesn't feel like the deck or baby gate are always enough. I don't know for sure that it would make my life easier... but I thought it was worth a try. Obviously I'm not going to be using it all the time or anything (and that is one of his arguments...it will not even be in use 95% of the time.) He thought it would be just as "easy" (not easy...) to train our dog to not do certain things that would prevent him from needing to go in the crate in the first place. I don't

I should add that it's not just that it looks ugly to him... the image we both had in our minds of crates was wire cages and he said it just seemed to symbolize prison etc. He did come around to the idea more when it finally popped into my head that maybe he could try to make something that at least looked a bit nicer.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by mel j; 04-13-2016 at 06:51 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crates for dogs

Dogs are den animals. Crates are home to them. Unless you use it to punish them it is not prison. A crate shouldn't be used for punishment for bad behavior. It was pretty easy to train our pup to use his as long as you reward with a treat when your dog goes they will learn quickly. We use the crate mainly only when we leave the house because he will get bored and chew on stuff. Since we live in a temporary small apartment he gets bored quick with no where to put his energy. He usually sleeps in it at night as well although my husband has been known to let him sleep with us lol there are so really cute ways to incorporate them into your home as well if it's appearance he's worried about.
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for sharing, I really appreciate it Yeah, at first he got the idea that it would kind of just be a punishment zone, but when we talked about it more I tried to explain more about how it didn't have to be like that. I saw a cute crate re-purposed from a crib when I looked up some pictures
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
We crated out lab/horse mix. She was a pound puppy twice before we got her so training her to not do things was difficult. It was much easier to put her in the crate and not worry about her chewing up my 100year old chair again.

We got an all wire black one and put it in our. sunroom. You could put a table cloth over it when dogs not in there and it can be a table
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
Thanks so much for sharing, I really appreciate it Yeah, at first he got the idea that it would kind of just be a punishment zone, but when we talked about it more I tried to explain more about how it didn't have to be like that. I saw a cute crate re-purposed from a crib when I looked up some pictures
Currently our dogs kennel is in a seperate room that we don't use but we just bought a house and I'm trying to find a cute way to incorporate it since he won't have his one secluded space. Hopefully he won't need to be in a crate as much since we will now have a yard for him to hangout in.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
Dogs are den animals. Crates are home to them. Unless you use it to punish them it is not prison. A crate shouldn't be used for punishment for bad behavior. It was pretty easy to train our pup to use his as long as you reward with a treat when your dog goes they will learn quickly. We use the crate mainly only when we leave the house because he will get bored and chew on stuff...
This is what we have done for 22+ years & for our dogs. It was voluntary after the training stage for them to use one & eventually we just took the crate down because we didn't want our kiddos getting hurt (not enough room to keep it out of our everyday living space) and now we just don't have the room for a crate (we recently downsized) which works out because our current dog LOVES her bed... wherever the bed is she will stay when we are gone. When she is on that bed kids are not allowed to bother her without making sure she wants to be played with (which we figure out just by talking to her & she usually springs right up or wags her tail to let us know she is ready to play.. if she doesn't move she's sleeping, so she is pretty much always ready to play ) so even without a crate she has her own safe place.

After having a dog get very possessive of OUR bed & literally rolling me off the bed when I was sleeping (a great dane) and me waking up on the floor quite often (I was obviously a very heavy sleeper as I never noticed until I woke up on the floor with my face smooshed against the dresser! lol), we make sure pooch has a bed of his/her own & when we have a crate up the bed is kept in it for their comfort.

One dog we had was a later graduate from his crate (a suspected great dane mix... adopted him as an adult dog from a shelter so we weren't sure) was horrible...if left out he would DESTROY things... had to crate him but he STILL wreaked havoc... he ate the carpet under the crate one day... also found the wall all gouged up from the crate when we got home & drywall all over... one day we watched him after he was crated & the booger thought we were gone... he literally ROCKED the GIANT crate (the size of our love seat) into the wall... he ate his bed too...that dog! I am not sure when but at some point he settled down & we didn't need to lock the crate... we could then just kept the door open for him to go in when he wanted to (we had a much larger house then so the crate wasn't in the way) & we kept the crate up.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
daddyn4wisechix
Registered Users
Formerly: daddyn3wisechix
seller
seller

My Mood:

PS I was the one resistant to a crate at first... until someone explained that dogs LIKE a crate... & the then puppy destroyed several things like the arms on our couches... end table legs... dining room chairs... sat on the stairs & dug at the drywall with his paw... GARBAGE all over the house & cayenne pepper did NOT stop him..ended up with a WHEELED 30 GALLON trash can in our tiny kitchen to keep him out of it because it had a clamp down lid... I said enough... the crate was a much easier sell then. I was DONE with the destruction!! lol
Old 04-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think our dog would be ok if he could roam the house but I can't bring myself to take chances lol we usually shut the door to his room so he has less chance to hear outside noise which may make him bark when we are away and he has gotten out of his crate a time or 2 somehow and chewed up random stuff in the room but he doesn't do that when we are home and he is free throughout the house. So I don't know if I can trust him yet, he's only 1 and a half years old. He was a great dog until we moved into this tiny apartment now he barks and eats stuff when he's bored. Can't wait to get into our new house and hope he goes back to being good. So now that I've rambled on and on about my dog. My point was he loves his crate, mainly cause he gets a treat, but if we turn of lights or turn off the TV he goes straight to his room cause he knows we are leaving.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have crate trained all of my dogs, and fosters. I've had dogs for years and been fostering for a decade. When I was a child we didn't use a crate but my parents put my puppy in a box at night, same theory. When she was older she was gated into the kitchen until she was over a year old. Our house was set up to work well that way. The home hubby and I live in now is not, it is all open floor plan. Honestly though, our husky will eat the walls given a chance, even now at 2. I have dogs who are adults and perfectly fine left alone without being crated. It really depends on the dog.

I crate train puppies from the time they come home. It helps with house training, helps prevent separation anxiety, keeps puppy out of things that could hurt them, and helps enforce a routine. When puppy gets older they don't spend nearly as much time in a crate. Some of my dogs have to sleep in crates at night even as adults (my husky mix does because she eats things), most only are crated when we leave the house. I have some dogs who are only crated in extreme situations like if we have to go on trips or if they are at the vet's overnight (or if I have a friend visit who is afraid of dogs or allergic to them). It is nice that they are crate trained because it makes these situations less stressful for them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #10
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all SOOO much for your thoughts, they help a lot and I'll be reading them over during the next few days for sure! I actually never would have considered it at all until now because I was always a little turned off by the idea of caging animals like dogs and cats before but I've been trying to think of ideas to make it work to keep our pets... I think I'll write another thread about that! I can definitely see my dog liking his own little spot