Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
EvangeKing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
hyperallergenic dog recommendations?

Hello all,

My son has some serious allergies but LOVES dogs. He is 3 and 1/2 and has been asking for a dog. Hubby says we are going to consider one soon. Any recommendations for a hyperallergenic dog that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? We are currently considering Schnauzers.

Thanks!

Advertisement

EvangeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: hyperallergenic dog recommendations?

I would advise visiting someone who owns any breed of dog you are considering before actually buying or adopting a dog. A well bred dog from a reputable breed can be expensive. It varies some by breed, I know that standard poodles tend to run around $2000 but I can't really say how much schnauzers cost as I have never considered one. I do advise avoiding back yard breeders and definitely pet shop puppies as there is a lot of risk of health issues, supporting puppy mills and temperament issues in the puppies.

Some breeds that are typically considered low allergy and tend to be "family friendly" are standard poodles, miniature poodles (not toy poodles, toy poodles are too small), havaneese, bichons, Portuguese Water Dogs, and Shih tzus. I do know some people who have schnauzers, standard and mini (giants are a completely different dog) and are very happy with them but they are terriers, they are high energy and may not be nearly as tolerant of children. Any of the terrier breeds are going to be less biddable and more prone to nipping. Portuguese Water Dogs and Standard Poodles are larger dogs, the other breeds I suggested are on the smaller side. I am partial to poodles and bichons, they are friendly and fun to train with. They do require grooming but that is the down side to the hair breeds.

When you find a breed you like and that does not cause allergy problems for your son you could consider looking for a rescue dog vs buying a puppy. Many breeds have a breed specific rescue (you can often find them by googling or going to the breed club page through AKC). Another option would be to research breeders and get to know them. Sometimes breeders will have retired show dogs or puppies who were held back for showing but didn't turn out (an overbite that didn't correct or some other minor flaw) that they will offer for a steep discount. Getting to know the breeders in the breed you are interested might also be fun for your son if he is interested in dogs, it has been a lot of fun for my youngest who is hoping to do junior showing.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
EvangeKing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for your detailed reply. I will take that all into consideration. We are going to the pet expo this year again to check out all the breeds and breeders who will be there.

I think my husband's logic behind getting a puppy is that he doesn't want our son to have to deal with death so quickly (especially if the dog was much older already). Both our jobs deal with death all the time as well. I will be home more since my hubby asked me to become a stay at home mom. That will help with the exercising.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Have you had allergy testing to confirm dog allergies? If so I would NOT get a dog. There is no dog that is truly hypoallergenic. Many allergy studies have been done on this and they all come to the same conclusion.....the allergens are still there. Please research it and if you have true allergies don't get a dog. It will just have to be rehomed or you will have to deal with the symptoms.
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

http://westwoodanimalhospital.com/wp...Other-Dogs.pdf
Old 04-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
EvangeKing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the link. Most of my son's allergies are outdoor allergies. His old babysitter had 2 dogs and he was alright. We are considering a "hypoallergenic dog" just as a precaution. He pets the neighbors dog too and his allergies don't usually act up. But thank you for the warning and info.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #7
HollyNightbonnet
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a bichon (though she now lives with my mom due to her immense attachment to the other pet dog) and she doesn't shed. They're some of the best hypoallergenic dogs out there.
Interested in
HollyNightbonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvangeKing View Post
Thank you for the link. Most of my son's allergies are outdoor allergies. His old babysitter had 2 dogs and he was alright. We are considering a "hypoallergenic dog" just as a precaution. He pets the neighbors dog too and his allergies don't usually act up. But thank you for the warning and info.
Has he been tested for allergies? If so did he test positive for dog?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #9
EvangeKing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Has he been tested for allergies? If so did he test positive for dog?
No ma'am we haven't had any official allergy testing done. When he was at the babysitters house, she had 2 dogs and he was there at least 10 hours a day. He didn't have any sign of any sort of allergies then. When the winds kick up here, he demonstrates the classic symptoms of outdoor allergies. I usually give him a children's Claritin to keep it at bay. He has an epipen for his peanut allergies.

Our home probably has residual dog hair as well since we've had dogs in here before. Only when the high winds kick up in our area and during pollen season does his allergies kick in. Any other time he is perfectly normal.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you would probably be fine with most breeds. I have seasonal allergies and so do my kids, I have worked with dogs my whole life and I foster dogs. I have had dogs of all sorts of breeds and mixes in and out of the house with my kids and it has been fine. If you have a preference for the low shed breeds many make great family pets. Just make sure to budget for grooming.

Hopefully you can find the right breed for your family at the pet expo and maybe a breeder as well. It is definitely worthwhile to do your research on breeders and choose one who is doing necessary health testing and breeding healthy, stable, dogs.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote