Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
taymkisses
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dog Behavior with New Baby

Just wondering how your dogs reacted when there was a new little baby around. Our pup is a German Shepherd and he is great around kids, but he has been the center of attention for the 2 and a half years that he has been alive. When I give too much attention to someone else he can get pretty jealous. Obviously my attention will shift quite a bit when we bring this new little babe home. What did you do to ease the transition for your pet?

Advertisement

taymkisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dog Behavior with New Baby

Have a loved one that the pup is familiar with bring home as many things that they can from the hospital that the baby has been wearing or laying on. Let the pup sniff it and give them a treat. You want positive thoughts for him when he smells the babies scent.

Also, in our experience our Border Collie/Lab mix pup became much calmer when we brought home the newest baby. Make sure he knows "move" or make sure he moves when you are walking towards him...you dont want to worry about tripping over him while holding the newbie.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ensuring your dog is well trained is the most helpful. Playing "baby sounds" CD's or Youtube videos (even movies or TV shows with lots of babies and kids in them can help). Set up baby stuff ahead of time so your dog can see and get used to it. If you are going to have things like swings or strollers around a lot consider walking around the backyard with a stroller so your dog can see it (or walking with a friend with a stroller), some dogs are really afraid of them. Set up the swing and let your dog get used to it moving. There are all sorts of "normal baby things" that can really scare dogs if they have never seen them before. Make sure nothing is overly stressful, introduce everything when your dog is relaxed, not hyped up or with strangers around. Feed him treats.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine is older, I'm not sure if that's why but he was fine with our youngest when she was born. I did kind of keep them apart but he never worried me with her. It's now that she's a year old that they worry me sometimes because although he likes her occasionally she'll be a little rough when she's not trying to be, and he doesn't like it and will growl because he doesn't realize she just doesn't know better yet. But he is usually okay with her still. The one thing I keep reading is of utmost importance is to just never leave them unsupervised together. Even the kindest dog can snap and you want to be right there.

I actually just read in a book that recently came out about safety with dogs & children that bringing stuff home from the hospital is not necessarily a great idea. Especially if they associate it with stuff they might chew (blankets.) But I'm not sure that it's always negative, it's just something I'd personally be careful with, after reading that. We had a home birth so didn't think about that stuff with our youngest, and can't speak from experience, though.

Last edited by mel j; 07-13-2016 at 05:51 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually just read in a book that recently came out about safety with dogs & children that bringing stuff home from the hospital is not necessarily a great idea. Especially if they associate it with stuff they might chew (blankets.) But I'm not sure that it's always negative, it's just something I'd personally be careful with, after reading that. We had a home birth so didn't think about that stuff with our youngest, and can't speak from experience, though.[/QUOTE]

Thats actually the main reason I had my DH bring baby stuff home and we put baby stuff out early becauae our dog is/was a chewer of blankets and such and we wanted to teach him that things that smell like baby are not toys for him to be chewing on. Now the only blanket he chews on is the one in his kennel. Of course not all dogs respond to the same training so its really just knowing your dog and whatll work best.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
taymkisses
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice! These are great things to consider and think about!
taymkisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
Chanzy720
Registered Users

My pitty is absolutely smitten with my daughter. She is 8 weeks now, my puppy is a year and since day one, she has been so gentle. I didn't prepare her with baby sounds or smells before baby was born but it didn't seem to affect puppy one bit.
Chanzy720 is offline   Reply With Quote