Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
DUDKIDS
Registered Users

My Mood:
RABBITS!!!

Does anyone have rabbits? My son wants ONE to keep inside the house. Are they very smelly?? What do we need to know?

Advertisement

DUDKIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: RABBITS!!!

They are awesome depending on your son's age.

Go to rabbit.org. The House Rabbit Society. They will have all you need to know!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I used to keep mine in the house. She ran around like a dog. Used a litter box. They are happy when they have space to play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love them! Unless you don't mind working with them, I'd look for a friendly one that doesn't mind being picked up... We did just take in a couple that were skittish because we enjoy just watching them too and were willing to work with them to try to help them be more friendly. But it took a bit for them to be comfortable letting me pick them up (one of them kicked like crazy at first!) and they're still not crazy about it after almost a month. I'm having trouble cutting their nails - they grow fast so need to be clipped every few weeks or so. (I'm trying to do a couple a day at least.)

I don't find them smelly unless their area needs to be cleaned up (which, it often does, especially with 2.) So, they're still quite a bit of work in a way. I do find them easier than a cat or dog, but that's partly because I'm finding I'm a bit more of a bunny person than a cat or dog person. I love how quiet they are. The ones we have now use a litter box and live in a pen in our house. Also they're saying they can live to 10 years now! Just something to keep in mind since so many bunnies are given up once people get bored of them or find they don't have time for them anymore. rabbit.org is definitely great from what I've seen and the lady we got ours from actually printed off a bunch of info from there for us Hope everything goes well if you decide to go for it!

Last edited by mel j; 07-17-2016 at 04:33 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #5
jllittle93
Registered Users

I have one! We built him an indoor "house". He uses a litter box, with rabbit litter and has a little hiding spot he can hang out in. The only time it smells is when you haven't changed the box out. He loves wondering around the house, but we don't let him often be we have a dog that thinks he's the same size as the bunny and wants to play!
jllittle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
witchy mama
Registered Users

Rabbits are great pets! They're not smelly as long as you're keeping their cage clean (or if you have an intact male who is spraying), and they are easy to litter train. Consider getting two if you can--they are social animals and are usually calmer and happier in pairs. Either two of the same sex or one of each sex is good, but make sure they are spayed or neutered! Males will fight if they are both intact, and, of course, if you have an intact male and female, you'll end up with more rabbits very soon Females don't have behavioral problems from being intact, but they are very prone to uterine cancer if they aren't spayed or bred, so as long as you can find a good "exotic animals" vet, it's safer to have them fixed.

Check for rabbit breeders, shelters, or organizations in your area--if you have one, they will probably be very happy to help you and give you all the information you could ever want.

Rabbits and other animals can usually get along well if you give them time to get used to each other. My last pet rabbit was actually best friends with a cat!

Finally, the one thing to watch out for is that rabbits love to chew. Make sure to keep an eye on the rabbit and see what it likes to chew on. Some rabbits prefer fabric, some prefer paper (like books!), and some really like electrical cords! Keep any cords out of the rabbit's reach--chewing on those could be dangerous for both bunny and you.
witchy mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
d&kexpectin#1
Registered Users

Rabbits have a lot more personality than I ever expected. I have had 3-4 rabbits as pets over the years and each had a ton of personality. Each was litter trained and caged unless I was around to supervise out of cage/exercise time, because they can get into trouble - chewing on anything made of paper and some wood. Mine always loved attention and were come when called. One even liked to play fetch. Check out this video someone else posted of their bunny eating raspberries - could be the cutest thing ever!

d&kexpectin#1 is offline   Reply With Quote