Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Speech Delay - consequences of no therapy

I'd probably secretly mail a brief ages and stages guideline, because I'm a wimp like that. I mean non-confrontational. It doesn't sound like bringing it up is likely to help anything.

From your description, it sounds like she meets the 30 month expectations, and wouldn't be evaluated at 36 month guidelines just yet. Just guessing that would mean she doesn't qualify for speech therapy anyway.

And I forgot to say about my above example about the 2 year old getting the EI referral--that pediatrician's own young son had been recently diagnosed with Asbergers, so I believe she was just being hyper-vigilant. And you're right, having an older sibling is not a cause of speech delays, I was thinking more about if she just doesn't say much.

(And totally off topic, "Mistah" is why I don't think sending children to public school is going to automatically teach them respect for authority...nor will homeschooling or any other method automatically teach it)

Advertisement

zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Is there a place to find the guidelines for who qualifies for therapy? All I found are red flags, and the milestones for different ages, but where is the 30 month thing you mention? FWIW, I mostly read Uptodate and aafp.

I was going by 50% of her speech is not understandable by strangers at age 2. She does not use 3-4 word sentences (or maybe she does and i just can't understand them? Is that how that works?). She does not combine 2 words to make a new word.

I talked to DH about it today and made a snide remark about "your family" and he got mad and huffed off, so we'll have to pick that one up again tomorrow sometime

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #13
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Is there a place to find the guidelines for who qualifies for therapy? All I found are red flags, and the milestones for different ages, but where is the 30 month thing you mention? FWIW, I mostly read Uptodate and aafp.

I was going by 50% of her speech is not understandable by strangers at age 2. She does not use 3-4 word sentences (or maybe she does and i just can't understand them? Is that how that works?). She does not combine 2 words to make a new word.

I talked to DH about it today and made a snide remark about "your family" and he got mad and huffed off, so we'll have to pick that one up again tomorrow sometime

I really think you should just drop it.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I really think you should just drop it.
Yeah. I've been trying to think about why I really care, anyway. I think it's petty. Probably more personal with me and her mom.

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote