Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talk Me Into It!

... WOOL THAT IS!

OK, ladies, I do alot of lurking around this board, but have been faithfully CDing my oldest DS for 6 months now and my younger DS since day 1! I am, however, in search of a perfect, bullet-proof night-time solution. I have heard such WONDERFUL things about wool that I really want to give it a try. I have a few questions....

1. Is it really expensive to start using wool, as in initial start-up costs?

2. Are there different types of wool?

3. What do you like best about wool?

4. Where do you suggest I purchase my first set of longies/ shorties?

5. Which should I purchase right now (longies/shorties), I'm near New Orleans, and it's hot and humid here 90% of the time?

6. What do you use underneath wool, and which is your favorite?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Advertisement

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Talk Me Into It!

If you want night time wool get a Crat. It's cheap and they are TOTALLY Bullet proof.

Now other wool I would suggest Merino for softness, BFL for being durable, Peace Fleece is nice and cheap and durable.

Check out Fair Trade Family she has GREAT prices on customs and instock and she makes great stuff. Nice starting place I think.

She uses mostly Peace Fleece from what I have seen but sometimes others like Handpainted etc.

I would get shorties from your description or soakers, I tend to like shorties better because of the slight leg.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Links, please?

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #4
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://hyenacart.com/Fair-Trade-Family/

Crat here but tons of other places too

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/woolcompare.htm
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

depends on if you want to use recycled or knit/crochet, the prices can vary greatly
yep, esp. in fabrics
it's super easy to use, a big bonus for someone with 10 people in the family, I need something super easy and wool fits the bill!
well, I can point you to Paully at Middle Earth Diaper she has some of appliqued recycled longies and shorties in stock right now in b/g/gn colors and appliques. There's also a number of us WAHM's who can custom make you woolies to your child's specific measurements
5. Which should I purchase right now (longies/shorties), I'm near New Orleans, and it's hot and humid here 90% of the time?
I would say shorties!!
Because I have a lot of laundry, and because we're on a really hard water well, I use prefolds and flats for ease in drying and they don't get build up as much. I also use a snappi, and no I haven't had very much problem with snagging, so that's not an issue.

HTH!! Wool is addicting!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
mimid
Registered Users
seller

1. Is it really expensive to start using wool, as in initial start-up costs? It depends what you get and how hooked you get. You can find some great recycled longies and soakers that are pretty cheap and a good way to see if you want to try knitted or crocheted. There are also usually ones on FSOT at good prices.

2. Are there different types of wool? Yep.

3. What do you like best about wool? Cute, easy, breathable, cute, fun to buy and match up with shirts, and really really cute.

4. Where do you suggest I purchase my first set of longies/ shorties? Well, tommorow Lotus Knits is stocking on HC and I have 3 pair of shorts that we have been using for 5 months and still look brand new. They were more like pants on the girls at first but now shorts. Sabrina does great work. My girls are in her gallery. Other then that, look at HC and look at the different WAHMs and see who makes something that will fit and you like or who has a style you like and a custom spot avail.

Depends what your situation is. I like longies or capris more than shorts, but I do have a couple pair of shorts. We are in so cal. Also, wool breathes and the girls wear theirs in the summer here. Hot but not as humid as NO.

6. What do you use underneath wool, and which is your favorite? PFs, PWs or clothmos are popular right now, but really any fitted or pf will work.
mimid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:08 AM   #7
Hillbilly Bunny
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do a search on HC. There are tons of great WAHMs on there and some just starting out. I'd suggest getting a soaker instead of longies or shorties for your first and since you don't need the extra warmth

There are alot of different types of wool out there. Organic merino is one of my favs. Some are more durable then others and some are softer. Most will soften up when lanolized
Old 12-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #8
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSunshine View Post
... WOOL THAT IS!

OK, ladies, I do alot of lurking around this board, but have been faithfully CDing my oldest DS for 6 months now and my younger DS since day 1! I am, however, in search of a perfect, bullet-proof night-time solution. I have heard such WONDERFUL things about wool that I really want to give it a try. I have a few questions....

Thanks in advance for all your help!
1. Is it really expensive to start using wool, as in initial start-up costs? It can be, but there are many mamas who make recycled wool which is much cheaper!

2. Are there different types of wool? YES! Tons! My favorites are Targhee and BFL. Oh, and interlock.

3. What do you like best about wool? It doubles as a cover and clothing!

4. Where do you suggest I purchase my first set of longies/ shorties? Hmmm, FSOT, or Woolybottoms as Shannon is great to work with! If you have some $$, check out Hyena Cart.

5. Which should I purchase right now (longies/shorties), I'm near New Orleans, and it's hot and humid here 90% of the time? I'm in So Cal and we wear longies, but mostly shorties. You can always throw on some BabyLegs if it's chilly.

6. What do you use underneath wool, and which is your favorite? I only use fitteds...that's a whole other question as to which are my faves!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote