Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Low supply again - thought it was mint, but may be hormonal

So sad. A few months ago, I had an issue with low supply. Thought it was mint. I drank tea and took liquid fenugreek. My supply came back 2 weeks later. No problems for a few months.

This time, it was Thin Mints. I ate the whole box - never learn!! Anyway, I can't imagine a box of cookies depleting my milk supply. I think this to be a coincidence.

At this point, I barely have a let down, and when I do, it doesn't last even a minute. She still comes back for the milk that's not there. And, I continue to offer it all day and night. I'm so sad. Anyone have issues like mine? I seriously wonder if it's hormonal. Also, during both occurrences, my period started about a week later. I've never had this much trouble with nursing babies, and she's the 4th I've nursed. Note - my left breast stopped making milk months ago because of chronic mastitis. I only have the right one functioning. This baby is cray. Every time she teethes, she has the worst sucking pattern. Taking same tea and same liquid fenugreek and eating oatmeal daily.

Anyone try Reglan (I hear a nasty side effect is serious depression) or the Canadian version? How does one get the canadian version? If no advice, I could just use some support and love from mamas who understand!

Advertisement

Wife and athlete Mama of the following cluster of girls: 12 year old, 11 year old ,(VBAC), 7 year old (VBAC #2) and my toddler girl, 2 years old
Why on earth is this laundry lady smiling?
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Low supply again - thought it was mint, but may be hormonal

It sounds like it could be hormonal. Have you had trouble before your period in the months in between?

Take this with a grain of salt, because I don't actually know anything besides what comes with nursing six babies myself...but I would think it might help to let her keep trying OFTEN, and even offer the left breast again and let her suckle...your milk could still come back.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time! It's so sad when there are nursing issues. How old is your baby? Have there been other issues with nursing this time?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She's 19 months, so it's not horrible, but I planned on nursing until she was 2, at least. The only trouble I had on the right side was the two times I mentioned.

The left breast stopped producing months and months ago. I assumed it was because of her sucking pattern and the mastitis. I had no trouble with the right breast - never any infections. Just the abrupt supply issues. Like I said, when she teethes, I just give her the breast, but sometimes, she'll stop and start nursing. It has been strange. Thanks for your reply. I just keep trying and trying. As long as I have at least one letdown a day, I think there's room for hope.
Wife and athlete Mama of the following cluster of girls: 12 year old, 11 year old ,(VBAC), 7 year old (VBAC #2) and my toddler girl, 2 years old
Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had to stop nursing my last at 23 mos because I was pregnant and my milk supply went down so much, she was just getting mad when she would nurse and I didn't have enough milk to satisfy her. I hear you about wanting to nurse all the way until 2, and I would keep trying as long as you can, but remember even if it doesn't work out you have already given him such a good start and he will be fine.

ETA: *her* *she* Oops!

Last edited by MamaLlama; 12-21-2017 at 07:25 PM.
MamaLlama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah, I guess she will be. Bleh! I still get to snuggle. And, she already doesn't nurse with as much fervor. She gives up easily but still stays for snuggles or faces me without crying with frustration. This may be an okay natural process. Poor little. Through cold and flu season, too. Thanks again!