Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Homeschooling when everyone else is against it?

Let me apologize in advance because I'm sure this will be all over the place.

DD just made 6 in December but she's in 1st grade. She currently goes to a private Catholic school. The class she's in is 1st and 2nd and they do separate the grades for some subjects.
She's doing very well academically. I have no qualms about the school.

The problem is I'm not sure it's the right fit for her. She's on the timid side and isn't confident. She tells me daily she doesn't want to go to school because she's going to miss me. I can see it when I drop her off. She's sad. But she always has a great time at school. She has one close friend that she plays with a lot. and does play with other kids in the class as well.

I have been looking into a home-based public school. They use the k12 curriculum. I like that they do require classroom time once a week and she will work with one teacher so it's not JUST me.

I know DH is open to the homeschooling idea. He has even mentioned it before.

The problem is my grandparents. They are old school, and think education is very important. They also think she needs the socialization and IDK if can convince them that HSing won't mean she's cut off from the rest of the world.

Not sure what my point is anymore. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had to deal with opposition from your family and if so, how you deal with it.
And how would you make such a decision? Enrollment for the next school year for the k12 school isn't open til march so we have time to talk about it.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling when everyone else is against it?

I have not been in your situation and don't have any advice. I have however, seen this TED talk recently that I found interesting. Maybe you can use this to explain your position to your family.

If the right video does not come up just google: TED talk, hackschooling makes me happy video
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

dealing w/ opposition--I think it begins with being firmly convinced in your own mind that you have made the right choice. That may mean that you need to spend some time doing your own research so that you feel its right for your family and so you have some good solid things to respond to when the questions/comments come. Ultimately, it is your responsibility and right to choose what you believe is best for your children, not your parents, though I know how very difficult that can be when you come up against criticism from them.

If its socialization you feel most unprepared to defend, I can encourage you, homeschooling provides an environment where kids thrive, not just "survive." there is so much research out there and great books on the subject that will help you feel more equipped to defend it if that's what you choose. One is this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

For me, really choosing homeschooling and being settled about it being the right choice for us only came when I stopped looking at it side by side with the way conventional schools look and began seeing it as something totally different, which it is, and focused on the many benefits my kids would gain from my keeping them home with me.
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just be very matter of fact with any nay sayers. It's the only thing I have success with. They still may not believe you or think it's best, but they usually won't mess with you much after that. Example:

"You can't take her out of school, education is important."
Education is important, she'll be getting a great one.

"But she needs to socialize!"
She'll be around plenty of kids at the park/library/church/extracurricular activities. She'll also socialize with a broader age range.

And on and on. Just state your info and move on, partly so they can start letting go of misconceptions, partly to show them it's not up for discussion.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

DH's family was very against homeschooling. But, we are the parents and their opinion didn't influence our decision.

I would look into going about teaching her yourself and possibly joining a co-op rather than K12. I have not heard many good things about them. Plus you are not free to schedule nor teach how you want to, but how the school decides that.

The myth about homeschoolers not having socialization is a serious pet peeve of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I have not been in your situation and don't have any advice. I have however, seen this TED talk recently that I found interesting. Maybe you can use this to explain your position to your family.

If the right video does not come up just google: TED talk, hackschooling makes me happy video
That boy is amazing. Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
dealing w/ opposition--I think it begins with being firmly convinced in your own mind that you have made the right choice. That may mean that you need to spend some time doing your own research so that you feel its right for your family and so you have some good solid things to respond to when the questions/comments come. Ultimately, it is your responsibility and right to choose what you believe is best for your children, not your parents, though I know how very difficult that can be when you come up against criticism from them.

If its socialization you feel most unprepared to defend, I can encourage you, homeschooling provides an environment where kids thrive, not just "survive." there is so much research out there and great books on the subject that will help you feel more equipped to defend it if that's what you choose. One is this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

For me, really choosing homeschooling and being settled about it being the right choice for us only came when I stopped looking at it side by side with the way conventional schools look and began seeing it as something totally different, which it is, and focused on the many benefits my kids would gain from my keeping them home with me.
Thanks for that link as well. I did casually mention HSing once to my gma and she shot it down due to the socialization thing. I'll take a look at that book to learn more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Just be very matter of fact with any nay sayers. It's the only thing I have success with. They still may not believe you or think it's best, but they usually won't mess with you much after that. Example:

"You can't take her out of school, education is important."
Education is important, she'll be getting a great one.

"But she needs to socialize!"
She'll be around plenty of kids at the park/library/church/extracurricular activities. She'll also socialize with a broader age range.

And on and on. Just state your info and move on, partly so they can start letting go of misconceptions, partly to show them it's not up for discussion.
I guess equipping myself with the answers BEFORE talking to anyone is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
DH's family was very against homeschooling. But, we are the parents and their opinion didn't influence our decision.

I would look into going about teaching her yourself and possibly joining a co-op rather than K12. I have not heard many good things about them. Plus you are not free to schedule nor teach how you want to, but how the school decides that.

The myth about homeschoolers not having socialization is a serious pet peeve of mine.

wow, is k12 really that bad? I do know one family that attends the school and she loves it.
I honestly would have no idea where to start otherwise (though I'm not set on that school-I can be convinced)

I"m still trying to decide if keeping her in private school is best or if taking her out and homeschooling her next year would be better for her. How do you make such a hard decision?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76

Thanks for that link as well. I did casually mention HSing once to my gma and she shot it down due to the socialization thing.

I"m still trying to decide if keeping her in private school is best or if taking her out and homeschooling her next year would be better for her. How do you make such a hard decision?
Are you letting your family make the decision for you? Kind of unclear on that since it mentioned your grandma shooting you down.

As for the decision, we just prayed and took the leap! LOL! The issue many have with K12 is that the school system still dictates what is taught to our child and when. They dictate the schedule. There isn't the flexibility that doing it yourself affords.

There are many boxes curriculums available plus piecing stuff together. You need to just research until your eyes cross! For us, I homeschool so I can make the decision as to what to teach and when. We can skip ahead as we need to or stay on something that we are having difficulty with. No worrying about having to keep the public school schedule.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Are you letting your family make the decision for you? Kind of unclear on that since it mentioned your grandma shooting you down.

As for the decision, we just prayed and took the leap! LOL! The issue many have with K12 is that the school system still dictates what is taught to our child and when. They dictate the schedule. There isn't the flexibility that doing it yourself affords.

There are many boxes curriculums available plus piecing stuff together. You need to just research until your eyes cross! For us, I homeschool so I can make the decision as to what to teach and when. We can skip ahead as we need to or stay on something that we are having difficulty with. No worrying about having to keep the public school schedule.

No they won't be making the decision, but up until now my grandparents have helped fund DD's schooling. So it's kinda hard to just go against them without feeling like I'm being disrespectful. it's hard to explain.

I see what you're saying about the flexibility. I could do a box curriculum, but the part I'm at a loss for is the hands on stuff. I'm no good at science experiments and that sort of stuff. Online and workbooks learning I can do.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

For science I highly recommend the Apologia series. They also have an elementary series. You can order a kit with everything needed for experiments. Many science programs come with optional kits to make it easier. Personally, we don't do many experiments just because we aren't that type of people! LOL! We will read or possibly watch on a computer video.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76 View Post

Thanks for that link as well. I did casually mention HSing once to my gma and she shot it down due to the socialization thing. I'll take a look at that book to learn more

I guess equipping myself with the answers BEFORE talking to anyone is best

wow, is k12 really that bad? I do know one family that attends the school and she loves it.
I honestly would have no idea where to start otherwise (though I'm not set on that school-I can be convinced)

I have used virtual schools (k12 and connections for YEARS) See if you can attend a seminar. Most people don't get how it works. While yes you have to "log" hours, it doesn't matter what you do. For us its 4 hours for grade 1 and 2, and 6 hours for grade 5, but we only do actual bookwork/online work for approx 2 hours for grade 1 and 2, and 3 hours for grade 5. The other hours we just do daily living stuff. It doesn't have you break down what you have done. You literally just put a number in a box. (state standards)

You can skip what you think doesn't need to be taught, but there are quizzes and the like. I have found both to be very well rounded, and the extra teacher help, free outings and field trips, weekly lunch meetings, and the ability to contact others at any time is worth it.

We prefer connections over k12 though. Connections is more flexible IMO.

As far as grandparents, just don't talk about it. Make your decision and move on. School has come a long way since they were in school and its just a different time to be in educational settings, they likely won't ever understand.

Thankfully my entire family supports out decision and loves that we homeschool, then again we are in the crappiest district in the nation for like 6 years straight....

I have done both traditional and charter at home with my kids. I prefer charter at home for my littles because there is NO prep work. Its all ready to go and graded.

I use a different program for my teenagers, they use an online program that is not affiliated with any district. They love it, but will have to go for their GED this fall because they are not accredited. I don't mind the GED, but some people do. (they are both graduating early)

Last edited by ktmelody; 01-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote